Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The most foolhardy cyclist I’ve seen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The most foolhardy cyclist I’ve seen

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-22, 08:54 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Though he was not drafting, this brings Egan Bernal to mind!

gm
Old 10-17-22, 10:47 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Don't assume anyone knows the 'emergency stopping distance' of any large vehicle unless you've driven it. A lot more goes into braking capabilities than into acceleration power. One could *definitely* eat the tailgate of that truck in less than a second. Now, that said, I do believe in letting Dr. Darwin do his work... ride on.
Old 10-17-22, 10:51 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The infamous "drafting a truck" scene from Breaking Away:

Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-17-22, 10:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
I've always liked this video, especially when he bunny-hops the center line reflectors at 60-70 mph.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 10-17-22 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-17-22, 11:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Cue all of the posters who will now explain why that video clip is unrealistic. (I mean, just think how much faster he could've gone if he'd shifted into his BIG chainring?)

At any rate, a friend and I once drafted a truck as it slowly trundled up to speed...I made it to 49+ mph before drifting out of the draft, but my friend made it to 50 mph. Hella fun, and probably a bit dangerous, as you say. One roadkill raccoon in the middle of the lane would've likely put us on the pavement at that speed. But I was a youngster in my late 40s back then.

I also once hit 75.7 mph on a descent and somehow survived to tell the story. As long as you don't break a spoke or have a sudden blowout, little harm will come of such speeds.

When you're drafting at that high speed, how do you gear it? Honest question as I've never drafted like that.
Old 10-17-22, 11:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
When you're drafting at that high speed, how do you gear it? Honest question as I've never drafted like that.
You get into your tallest gear and try to keep up with the vehicle. When you spin out and decelerate, you slip out of the draft.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-17-22, 11:20 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
drafting big trucks is so dangerous, but so fun. I don't do it anymore cuz I'm old and fat, but I did it extensively in my younger road racing days. I got up to 55 mph once behind a tractor trailer going down a slight grade right through a town center. So dumb.

Pulling up next to a truck at a light that saw you a couple miles back but didn't know you were behind them is fun too. Usually earns you a "holy crap!" and a thumbs up. again, so dumb. Thankful I survived.
Old 10-17-22, 11:36 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Guilty as charged. It was back when I had no fear of speed.

Back in 1980 (I think) I was living in Georgetown South Carolina and cycled to Myrtle Beach regularly along Hwy 17. It was a year after the movie Breaking Away came out. One day when I was getting out of Georgetown a Semi truck, really loaded up and accelerating slowly passed by me. I jumped out of the saddle and caught him.

I made the 30 mile drive from Georgetown to Myrtle Beach in 35-ish minutes as I recall...including stopping at two red lights. As I look back on that it still puts a smile on my face but if I had fallen.............

The thing I didn't realize about drafting behind a big truck (it was the first one I got a really good draft from) is that when the truck gets up to around 50 mph, the wind draft behind the truck actually pushed me into the back of the truck. It created a vortex that just sucked me in. I had to keep moving to the side to catch wind and slow down some.

----

Last edited by drlogik; 10-17-22 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 10-17-22, 11:45 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
In the 80s, mopeds were fun and much safer. I drafted a moped from Gay Head to Edgartown MA (18 miles across Martha's Vineyard) with two kids on it. The kid on the back was sitting backwards with a boom box on his lap directed at me. I had tunes the whole way. Fun memory.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-17-22, 01:30 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I had my 1971 Honda 350 scrambler up too 100 mph lying on the tank............ Sorry felt left out!
Likes For Gyro:
Old 10-17-22, 03:53 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by drlogik
GBack in 1980 (I think) I was living in Georgetown South Carolina and cycled to Myrtle Beach regularly along Hwy 17. It was a year after the movie Breaking Away came out. One day when I was getting out of Georgetown a Semi truck, really loaded up and accelerating slowly passed by me. I jumped out of the saddle and caught him.

I made the 30 mile drive from Georgetown to Myrtle Beach in 35-ish minutes as I recall...including stopping at two red lights. As I look back on that it still puts a smile on my face but if I had fallen.............
----
51 mph average speed. Even with standard road gearing of that era (lowest gear of 53-12), you'd have to spin 145 rpm.

I'm thinking there's a little bit of nostalgic exaggeration here...Or that vortex effect was pretty wild.
Old 10-17-22, 05:32 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

I'm thinking there's a little bit of nostalgic exaggeration here...Or that vortex effect was pretty wild.
Maybe, but maybe not. I wasn't able to keep up pedaling once I hit around 45. The draft behind the truck was strong. Strong enough that I almost hit the back of the truck a couple of times. That wasn't scary part. The scary part was not being able to see anything on the road surface that the truck might roll over. Tire bits, a rock, or other piece of debris...

I pushed that out of my mind because it was so exhilarating. I never did it again though. I drafted trucks but not like that, not on a highway at highway speed.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 10-17-22, 05:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
In theory you should just just bounce off of a truck that brake checks you under most circumstances (well that or get sucked under) its not like overlapping wheels with a bike where you have to react to save it.
Old 10-17-22, 05:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
In theory you should just just bounce off of a truck that brake checks you under most circumstances (well that or get sucked under) its not like overlapping wheels with a bike where you have to react to save it.
Oh my ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-17-22, 06:30 PM
drlogik 

Old 10-17-22, 08:18 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by drlogik
Maybe, but maybe not. I wasn't able to keep up pedaling once I hit around 45. The draft behind the truck was strong. Strong enough that I almost hit the back of the truck a couple of times. That wasn't scary part. The scary part was not being able to see anything on the road surface that the truck might roll over. Tire bits, a rock, or other piece of debris...

I pushed that out of my mind because it was so exhilarating. I never did it again though. I drafted trucks but not like that, not on a highway at highway speed.
I've done some drafting and never experienced anything like that, so I'm thinking the vortex must've been a particular combo of the truck's speed and the ambient wind direction and speed. And yeah, one dead raccoon on the road, right in the middle of the truck's lane, and there'd be a dead drlogik, too! That always pops into my head when I'm drafting at speed.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You go test that theory, Einstein. If you live to tell about it, come back and give a report. Better yet, don't.
Old 10-21-22, 05:29 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Back to original query and putting aside the truck drafting ---

Every day I see cyclists riding no handed while texting. So far have seen only one resulting accident, the rider ran straight into back of parked truck. How they mostly get away with this beats me.
Old 10-21-22, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Back to original query and putting aside the truck drafting ---

Every day I see cyclists riding no handed while texting. So far have seen only one resulting accident, the rider ran straight into back of parked truck. How they mostly get away with this beats me.
you’re right, he should have used “voice to text”..What a dumb asprin.

Old 10-22-22, 12:35 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I've done some drafting and never experienced anything like that, so I'm thinking the vortex must've been a particular combo of the truck's speed and the ambient wind direction and speed. And yeah, one dead raccoon on the road, right in the middle of the truck's lane, and there'd be a dead drlogik, too! That always pops into my head when I'm drafting at speed.

You go test that theory, Einstein. If you live to tell about it, come back and give a report. Better yet, don't.
This post reeks of someone who has no real world experience drafting motor vehicles. I used to occasionally ride with some folks who had a Honda Cub with a roller bar on the back for sprint training. I have drafted trucks a few times, too scary to be moving 40 plus mph with no idea what lies ahead, that is the biggest danger by far.
Old 10-22-22, 12:41 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by venturi95
This post reeks of someone who has no real world experience drafting motor vehicles. I used to occasionally ride with some folks who had a Honda Cub with a roller bar on the back for sprint training. I have drafted trucks a few times, too scary to be moving 40 plus mph with no idea what lies ahead, that is the biggest danger by far.
I honestly have no idea how you reached this conclusion. If you don't feel like clarifying, that's fine -- I don't much care.
Old 10-22-22, 03:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Back in the 80s was 5 miles from the finish of a double century with my good friend, when a pickup with a canopy pulled in front of us doing about 18-20 MPH. We drafted that guy within a mile from the finish and it felt wonderful and a relief. Since it was not a race, that kind of drafting didn’t matter.

Old 10-22-22, 05:58 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I are avid bike tourists, and have ridden over 22,000 mile on fully loaded touring bikes during the 12 years prior to Covid. We ride on all types of highways, and don't draft on vehicles. However, we have discovered a phenomena we call semi-surfing; using the pull that larger trucks create as the pass by.

The surfing effect is really noticeable on roads like this narrow one in Iowa where the truck traffic is heavy.

We usually make use of bike paths when they are available. But, when we encounter our fist wanabe racer or pedestrians we usually head for the roadway, which in our opinion is usually much safer.
Old 10-22-22, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Doug64
My wife and I are avid bike tourists, and have ridden over 22,000 mile on fully loaded touring bikes during the 12 years prior to Covid. We ride on all types of highways, and don't draft on vehicles. However, we have discovered a phenomena we call semi-surfing; using the pull that larger trucks create as the pass by.

The surfing effect is really noticeable on roads like this narrow one in Iowa where the truck traffic is heavy.

We usually make use of bike paths when they are available. But, when we encounter our fist wanabe racer or pedestrians we usually head for the roadway, which in our opinion is usually much safer.
Have noted the same phenomenon when I am forced to ride our two lane state highways. Don’t know if the nice pull is worth having semis and double dump/gravel trucks whisking by at 55-60.

Old 10-22-22, 09:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Cue all of the posters who will now explain why that video clip is unrealistic. (I mean, just think how much faster he could've gone if he'd shifted into his BIG chainring?)

At any rate, a friend and I once drafted a truck as it slowly trundled up to speed...I made it to 49+ mph before drifting out of the draft, but my friend made it to 50 mph. Hella fun, and probably a bit dangerous, as you say. One roadkill raccoon in the middle of the lane would've likely put us on the pavement at that speed. But I was a youngster in my late 40s back then.

I also once hit 75.7 mph on a descent and somehow survived to tell the story. As long as you don't break a spoke or have a sudden blowout, little harm will come of such speeds.
My fastest was 70mph at which point the winds made it too unstable, always wondered if I could have reached 75 on a better day but never made it back to that particular climb to find out. Now I'd wuss out at 50-55.
Drafting tractor trailers always made my commute from Schenectady to Albany easier, the trucks that knew what they were doing would go about 40mph and if they did it right would manage to only hit a couple of lights for most of the distance, I did it so many times that the first time I saw that clip in my mid 20s I didn't think anything of his accomplishment.

51 mph average speed. Even with standard road gearing of that era (lowest gear of 53-12), you'd have to spin 145 rpm.
That doesn't sound quite right and seems like too high a cadence, I had a course I would do weekly that involved a nice long slope that if you pedaled hard would let you reach about 55ph, with a 53/11 that was only 90rpm which was what I would spin out at each time. Seems like a 53/12 would be more like 100-110 cadence to only do 50mph.
Old 10-22-22, 09:24 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
That doesn't sound quite right and seems like too high a cadence, I had a course I would do weekly that involved a nice long slope that if you pedaled hard would let you reach about 55ph, with a 53/11 that was only 90rpm which was what I would spin out at each time. Seems like a 53/12 would be more like 100-110 cadence to only do 50mph.
Nope. Not even close. 55mph with a 53-11 requires a cadence of 146rpm. A 53/12 at 110rpm is 38mph. (All assuming 700x23mm tires.)

You don't have to believe me. You can go here to verify, or to one of the many other such calculators on the 'net. They'll all give you the same numbers.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-22-22 at 09:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.