Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Touring on tubeless tires

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 01:08 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Just wondering if any tandem tourers run a tubeless set up and if so what pressures versus team weight and tyre width. We are touring at the moment and started with a tubeless set up but now have tubes in front and rear after non sealing issues I'm not giving up of converting to tubeless but need to find the tyre/sealant combo that works with a loaded tandem running 700x40/42 interested to hear anyones experiences specific to tandems.
Old 04-23-21, 04:02 AM
cherz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
hi
we use 700x28mm conti 5000 inflated to 6 bar and 650b gravelking ss 50mm inflated to 3 bar; the 650b wheels are new and i'm just finding out how i like them
the contis have abot 2000km on them and might take another 500km
have used schwalbe pro ones before and am going to try vittoria corsas next

to date we got one slow flat, which didn't seal but allowed us to get home

sealant is orange seals
we take a spare tube and dynaplugs with us;

team weight is 125kg, bike weight just below 15kg and then up to 15kg additional load for touring
i'm not yet decided which wheelset to prefer for touring, but i tend to use the 650b wheels as they roll quite fast on tarmac and offer more possibilities

andreas
Old 04-23-21, 06:28 AM
longpete

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Team weight 150,E tandem 29.Tubeless 35 rims 2.6 27.5 '' tires. Rear 1.7 to 1.8 bar, front 1.7 to 1.9.
Muc off sealant. Better than Stan's for sealing rim tape leakage.. Continental and Schwalbe Magic Mary and Noby Nic..
Schwalbe needs soap to mount. Both brands can be inflated with normal pumps.
Mavic rim tape no leaks, dt swiss rim tape 50% leaks 50% not. No leaks means
holds air without sealant for weeks. When leaks, keeps on leaking with sealant.
After a few long rides air holds for two weeks( than only one bar or less left).
I'm still looking for reliable tubeless 1.5 tot 1.8 touring tires. I now run Schwalbe marathon
with inner tubes on the 29 wheels with 25 rims. Would like to try Schwalbe Alll motion but only available in 2 inch.

Last edited by longpete; 04-23-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-02-21, 08:04 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I run tubeless 650B 38mm on Cliffhanger rims at 65 psi. We are 350 lbs and tour with a trailer. To be honest I have had some problems with flats, from really tiny punctures, which were variably successfully sealed on the road. If you find where the air is coming out and get that spot in a puddle of sealant, it should seal.
I also use FattyStrippers FattyStripper Tubeless Fat Bike Solution and SkinnyStripper Tubeless CX & DH Solution <link rel="image_src" href="https://fattystripper.com/media/FattyStripper_Logo_320.jpg" / ><link rel="image_src" href="https://fattystripper.com/media/FattyStripper_L (actually SkinnyStrippers for this bike) which is a very thin latex strip that goes over the rim strip and over the edges of the rim, giving you a really good seal - once the sealant gets set the SkinnyStripper is bonded to the tire and you really don't get leaks at the tire/rim interface.
Old 05-03-21, 08:51 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Touring the last year was difficult. We have done a lot of short rides around 25 miles or less. With all our luggage, the bike, and the two of us, we carry about 450 pounds on the tires. We have mostly been running sans luggage, so down around 400. We have been running Conti GP5000 32X700 on the House of Tandems Spinergy wheels. We use Orange Seal sub-zero, because I only want to keep one type of sealant on hand, and the sub-zero is really the only choice for my fat bike. The tire pressure is set before each ride to 90 PSI using a digital gauge known to be accurate.

We have ridden this setup for well over a thousand miles, probably close to two. There are a lot of miles left on those tires. We did have a single puncture, which sealed while riding with absolutely no issue. I actually found it the following day on my pre-ride check. The tire pressure was low so I looked and found a small amount of sealant.

In the past we were running Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 40X700 with butyl tubes. We did have a couple of flats on those, including one pinch flat on a very rough road. Mrs. Dan, the stoker, noted that the bike feels more stable with the GP5000 than it did with the Schwalbe. And it is faster on our top speed test section; 28 vs 22 MPH so quite a bit. My solo bike experience with GP5000s is that they seem to not get sidewall cuts and whatever punctures they get seem to seal with the Orange Seal Sub-zero.
Old 05-09-21, 05:40 PM
Msteven 

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Tubeless Success

We run 650b Velocity Clifhanger rims and WTB Byway tires at 40 to 50psi, and previously WTB Horizon semi slick on the same wheels. Stans sealant and rim tape. This combination of tire/rim/sealant has not resulted in any punctures or leaks. Absolutely bomb proof for road and gravel use. We probably have 10,000 miles with two sets of tires. (140 kilo riders/15-20 kilo bike)
Old 05-10-21, 01:36 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Msteven
We run 650b Velocity Clifhanger rims and WTB Byway tires at 40 to 50psi, and previously WTB Horizon semi slick on the same wheels. Stans sealant and rim tape. This combination of tire/rim/sealant has not resulted in any punctures or leaks. Absolutely bomb proof for road and gravel use. We probably have 10,000 miles with two sets of tires. (140 kilo riders/15-20 kilo bike)
Your rig and rider weights are identical to ours only difference is we are running 700c rims and the inner rims width is only 20mm on stans grail rims. I will persevere with tubeless and try and find a better rim/tyre combo I have had no luck with stans standard sealant so will try some muc off or orange as a data point.
Old 05-10-21, 02:31 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Just finished a gravel ride on 700c x 35 tires on 23 mm internal rims, sealed with Orange Seal and Skinny Strippers. Your problem may be running a 40 mm tire on a 20 mm rim. Get a 25 mm rim and should be way better off!