Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What to do, when a grail bike is the (gasp) wrong color.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What to do, when a grail bike is the (gasp) wrong color.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 02:51 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,970 Posts
Black saddle and bar tape, Pink or matching cables.

Or brown saddle and matching tape, and white cabling...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-08-23, 04:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Eh. Never got to the point of actually "hating" a color (although I had a neighbor who was fond of saying "the emotion of hate is very close to love"). I think it's a pretty awesome shade, personally.

Repaint or not, if you love everything about the bike as-is, except for the color, that would be reason enough for me to repaint it. Don't really buy into the argument that "it will only be original once." Unless it's some kind of historic piece or something. Presumably the frame-building expertise will be apparent in the ride quality, not the color of the pigment on the tubes' surfaces.

When we bought our house here in NC, the living room was painted a deep shade of red. We promptly repainted it white. The old owner came by to pick up her mail and was almost in tears when she saw "her" living room.

Whatevs.
Sorry, not on this, no effin way, period.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-08-23, 04:58 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
It's a blue bike. Changing the color is just like not eating your brussel sprouts........."Kids are starving in India". Eat your damn sprouts.
Old 11-08-23, 05:55 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Sorry, not on this, no effin way, period.
If it was my bike (but in a different color) I’d repaint it blue just to spite you!
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-08-23, 09:19 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I like blue. However, I'm not a fan of a bicycle being entirely that shade of blue. It might be drastically better with different wheels, a different saddle and bar tape... not to mention that pump (which I wouldn't be surprised to learn was acquired before the paint color was ordered to match). Is there a pump peg on the head tube?

Still too blue? Consider getting the lugs lined.
Looks like that frame was too small for the owner. Maybe he had the pump and ordered frame size to match it too?
Old 11-08-23, 09:43 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
Eh. Never got to the point of actually "hating" a color (although I had a neighbor who was fond of saying "the emotion of hate is very close to love"). I think it's a pretty awesome shade, personally.

Repaint or not, if you love everything about the bike as-is, except for the color, that would be reason enough for me to repaint it. Don't really buy into the argument that "it will only be original once." Unless it's some kind of historic piece or something. Presumably the frame-building expertise will be apparent in the ride quality, not the color of the pigment on the tubes' surfaces.

When we bought our house here in NC, the living room was painted a deep shade of red. We promptly repainted it white. The old owner came by to pick up her mail and was almost in tears when she saw "her" living room.

Whatevs.
My Tesch S-22 was a hideous neon green. I like red. It’s red now.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 11-08-23, 10:18 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Open ended topic and some with heavy passion, respectfully you're a good caretaker.

You're also, the end user. Face reality. Though some frame builders and painters don't always like the final product or 'flavor' yet out the door it goes. Some may even admit or question why they did 'this' or 'that'. Patience and dealing with a client specifics can be another entire topic.

Change it and make it want you want, its just a bike.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 11-09-23, 08:25 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
My Tesch S-22 was a hideous neon green. I like red. It’s red now.
‘Dave did make some outrageous color choices for that model. Mine is neon pink.
Old 11-09-23, 09:20 AM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yeah, tastes evolve. If doing it today, I might keep that frame as it was made originally but back 10 years ago when I repainted the frame, I just couldn't do it.

Also, that frame had been well-used, and even if I were GTG with the color, the perfectionist that I am, I probably would have still repainted it.
Old 11-09-23, 11:01 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Subdue the blue metallizzato with a combo of skinwall tyres, stitched handlebar hyde and leather saddle in similar shade of brown. Stainless bottle cage.

This blue is spectacular to me, but totally get that tastes are personal. If the decal colors were yellow, I’d be looking for masi yellow benotto tape (wrapped over white cotton).

Too bad ergos never came with a gum hood option... or did they?
Old 11-10-23, 05:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Back when Proteus was building custom-order bikes in College Park, MD, we'd get guys coming into our shop in Baltimore from time to time with one of those bikes. Some of the frame/head tube/panel paint schemes looked as if the guy who ordered the bike told the painter to just pick two or three M&Ms out of a bag at random.
Old 11-10-23, 02:57 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Blue sucks. Not the first time I wrote this.

Cinelli_Model_B 004 by iabisdb, on Flickr
My Eroica/Cino compliant (but not period correct) mid-1960s SC is that exact color. It's not my favorite shade of blue, and the finish is beat up enough to justify a respray should I feel so inclined. But I've never hated the color and I've kind of gotten used to it. Again, not my favorite, but I don't dislike the color $700+/- worth that the respray would set me back. If I were to get it repainted, it would be solely for frame preservation purposes (and I might go dusty rose), but at this point I doubt if I will. The patina has its attractions.

Cool Model B, BTW. The paint on yours looks to be in pretty good shape - better than on mine.
Old 11-10-23, 04:11 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
If a bike came from Portland, I would be more concerned about rust (if the bike was ridden in the rain a lot) than the color.
Old 11-10-23, 04:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
If a bike came from Portland, I would be more concerned about rust (if the bike was ridden in the rain a lot) than the color.
First of all this bike has zero rust that we can see so far and being a custom from one of the best builders was obviously well taken care of.

Merz, Newlands and DiNucci were all well aware of the rain factor being from here and went to great lengths to mitigate it, Merz used a zinc chromate dip, industrial primer and Imron paint for some of the best state of the art paint in the business as did the others.

I have several bikes from here and none have any real rust issues 50 years later.

PDX and the PNW have been a mecca/epicenter for custom frames for a long time, the quality of the frames and their owners rarely lets rain/rust ever become a problem.

Being newer here, I would encourage more thoughtful consideration before weighing in on something we are very passionate about.

I can assure you that even on the rare occasion that one of these is in rough shape that this is the place where we sort it out and get it turned around.

Many here are expert rock stars and relish the opportunity to save them.
Old 11-12-23, 08:36 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Back when Proteus was building custom-order bikes in College Park, MD, we'd get guys coming into our shop in Baltimore from time to time with one of those bikes. Some of the frame/head tube/panel paint schemes looked as if the guy who ordered the bike told the painter to just pick two or three M&Ms out of a bag at random.
I have a Proteus frame out in the shop that sort of fits that description. It’s sort of tan with a sky blue head tube.

Not very attractive, but it’s a well built frame. It’s a bit too big for me, so I’ll be moving it on soon
Old 11-12-23, 10:17 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
First of all this bike has zero rust that we can see so far and being a custom from one of the best builders was obviously well taken care of.

Merz, Newlands and DiNucci were all well aware of the rain factor being from here and went to great lengths to mitigate it, Merz used a zinc chromate dip, industrial primer and Imron paint for some of the best state of the art paint in the business as did the others.

I have several bikes from here and none have any real rust issues 50 years later.

PDX and the PNW have been a mecca/epicenter for custom frames for a long time, the quality of the frames and their owners rarely lets rain/rust ever become a problem.

Being newer here, I would encourage more thoughtful consideration before weighing in on something we are very passionate about.

I can assure you that even on the rare occasion that one of these is in rough shape that this is the place where we sort it out and get it turned around.

Many here are expert rock stars and relish the opportunity to save them.
Based on some of the work I've done at the Bike Exchange I'd say longevity of the paint/finish can be a challenge for very small builders who don't have or can't access the capitol equipment required for chemical dip-type surface treatment and prep before paint. I rebuilt a Boone McReynolds frame recently that had a lot of touch-up already performed and rust bubbles appearing here and there (not just on the top tube where sweat falls). It looked to me like Imron paint that had been applied perhaps even directly on the bare metal - I couldn't find evidence of a phosphate coating or primer where the paint was coming up. The paint adhesion just wasn't very good. It's a shame too, because all of the skilled work at the brazed joints and the thinning of lugs was otherwise exemplary. As you mention with respect the Merz frames, not all small builders have this issue - I rebuilt an Ed Litton bike of a similar age about a year earlier and the finish on that bike was far more robust and consequently in much better shape.
Likes For daka:
Old 11-12-23, 10:55 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I’ve wanted the tripod of local hand crafted bikes.

Coming from Portland, that means the team behind Strawberry Cycles. Andy Newberry, Jim Merz and Mark DiNucci.

Recently I found the last leg. A stunning DiNucci with full Dura-ace.

A lil background on me; I’m colorblind.

but I see Blue.

I hate blue.

Lovely bike It is a mix of Campy Record, Sachs New Success and Dura Ace 7410 equipment. The shifters are campy and the read derailleur is a typical Sachs New Success derailleur

Last edited by georges1; 11-12-23 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-12-23, 10:59 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

I always pick carefully my bikes, never had such a mishap.
Likes For georges1:
Old 11-12-23, 12:45 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by daka
Based on some of the work I've done at the Bike Exchange I'd say longevity of the paint/finish can be a challenge for very small builders who don't have or can't access the capitol equipment required for chemical dip-type surface treatment and prep before paint. I rebuilt a Boone McReynolds frame recently that had a lot of touch-up already performed and rust bubbles appearing here and there (not just on the top tube where sweat falls). It looked to me like Imron paint that had been applied perhaps even directly on the bare metal - I couldn't find evidence of a phosphate coating or primer where the paint was coming up. The paint adhesion just wasn't very good. It's a shame too, because all of the skilled work at the brazed joints and the thinning of lugs was otherwise exemplary. As you mention with respect the Merz frames, not all small builders have this issue - I rebuilt an Ed Litton bike of a similar age about a year earlier and the finish on that bike was far more robust and consequently in much better shape.
Agreed, Mark worked for Jim for awhile after leaving Strawberry that also had very good paint for the time and was well aware of the challenges, this paint is reported by Mark to be original Joe Bell and appears to be be in very good shape from here.

Regardless, it would be a shame to change it for any reason unless there is rust, corrosion or something bad we're not seeing, that seems to not be the case.

All my Merz's have original paint and are all in good shape all things considered.
Old 11-12-23, 12:55 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by georges1
I always pick carefully my bikes, never had such a mishap.

Finding such a bike in this condition let alone at all is never a mishap IMO, you get what you get when they show up, DiNucci's are so scarce on the ground that I have only seen 1 in real life and only know of 4-5 others, I have 2 Strawberry's that Mark built and they are almost as rare, I was very lucky.

I would buy any DiNucci that showed up regardless of size, color or condition if I could, especially with it being the only PDX triad builder that I don't have yet.

Not holding my breath at this point.

Last edited by merziac; 11-12-23 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-12-23, 02:39 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Finding such a bike in this condition let alone at all is never a mishap IMO, you get what you get when they show up, DiNucci's are so scarce on the ground that I have only seen 1 in real life and only know of 4-5 others, I have 2 Strawberry's that Mark built and they are almost as rare, I was very lucky.

I would buy any DiNucci that showed up regardless of size, color or condition if I could, especially with it being the only PDX triad builder that I don't have yet.

Not holding my breath at this point.
I know that you have rare bikes Merziac,l I have some rarities as well . One that I bought despite being a much smaller size than what I usually ride, the CT Wallis in Reynolds 731OS, another one was the Grandis Overmax (never seen one like it in my country), Vetta Team built by Billato (extremely rare and very low production frame set in Deda Zero 18MCDV6HTtubing, never seen one in my country), Fausto Coppi Lugano by Maschiaghi (Mega Genius tubing) very scarce, also the Daccordi Fly (with Altec Or custom tubing) which was produced to very small numbers (never seen one identical before) and the Veneto Art Decor (Altec2 tubing) never seen one in ten years. I buy uncommon road bikes either because of the tubing or the fact that they were custom made. I also have high end mass production road bikes that are of excellent quality as well. Yet, I have rarely seen the streets or in the nearby neighborhood a Pinarello Stelvio , a Cannondale CAAD4, a Peugeot Prestige 708 or a Raleigh Team Z in Reynolds 753. They have become rarities over the years. Though I know that there are some serious collectors who might have these frames or these bikes but I have never seen them. Most of people who are into expensive bikes, I see ride carbon bikes, sometimes titanium and very few ride steel frames. I don't have anymore space for other bike projects because I have reached the maximum number of bike projects my garage space allows me. I am now focused on finishing all my road bike projects and buy the maximum of Dura Ace 7800 spare parts, selle Italia saddles and Look pedals.Once it will be done, I will enjoy them.
Likes For georges1:
Old 11-12-23, 09:27 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
On the one hand, it sounds like you already have a DiNucci, it just has a company name on it rather than his own name. On the other hand ... he's still building, right?
Old 11-12-23, 11:47 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
On the one hand, it sounds like you already have a DiNucci, it just has a company name on it rather than his own name. On the other hand ... he's still building, right?
Yes and no, he reportedly has a backlog he's working on so not sure about getting a new one which would be amazing needless to say and out of the question now.

He was on the short list when I built the new Strawberry but I didn't really have an in and was happy to have it be hands on right here in PDX.

I do have 2 he built and another that he designed and has his DNA but an original by him is a goal as a separate thing altogether, an original standalone.

Not very likely at this point but you never know.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-13-23, 04:17 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
An old French coin equal to 12 deniers?
Well, the paint would only be original once, and the downtube decal is pretty cool. I would strip all the blue parts (maybe you can just strip the blue anodizing layer off the rims with lye / oven cleaner), and if it's still too blue for you, perhaps you can have someone paint some panels on the bike ... give it a 70's vibe .. 1974 raleigh gran sport ...

One of my favorite paint jobs of all time is red with these asymmetric panels :

Last edited by systemBuilder; 11-13-23 at 04:26 PM.