Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

American Classic Magnesium rear hub conversion?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 10:41 AM
dingels75

Bikes: 1) 22' R-066 Disc SRAM Red 15.6 lbs 2) 19' Aero LCR012-D Ultegra 16.8 lbs 3) 16' R-066 SRAM Red 14.6 lbs. 4) Nashbar 105 CX 5) 95' Balance MTB 5) 96' Cannondale Multisport 800 650c 6) 87' Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Can these be converted from 10speed to 11speed with skewers? American Classic rear hub with a Shimano 10 speed freehub. I see plenty info/youtube videos about Shimano and other brands but can't find much or any on doing the conversion on American Classic hubs. This is the magnesium rims 1130g wheelset, the hubs are not magnesium. Sorry that the title wording is confusing,
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions/ ideas!

Last edited by dingels75; 11-07-22 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-07-22, 05:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Ten speed hub might work with a eleven speed cassette. Sort of depends on whether that hub also fit 9 speed cassettes with no issues.

Skewers really don't have anything to do with it. Skewers as sized to the OLD and dropout spacing. Your 10 and 11 speed cassettes don't really care about OLD and dropout spacing. Though you probably won't find a 11 speed cassette on anything with less than 130 mm spacing. Same for 10 speeds.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-08-22, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
dingels75 Did you get this figured out?

Another hint for telling is if the 10 speed cassette that was on it had a spacer between it then the free hub will very likely handle a 11 speed cassette... without the spacer.

If this is a wheel you bought and it hasn't had a cassette on it, then the people you bought it from should know the answer to your question. And certainly any model and part numbers that are on anything that shows might be of help.

If you can get this thread moved by a mod, you might get more answers in the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum which is the better place IMO to ask question involving mechanical things about a bicycle.

If you go to a bike shop with the wheel and ask, they'd probably just try to fit a 11 speed cassette on it and then you'll know. And probably they'd do that for little to nothing. Buy some gloves or socks from them as thanks.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-08-22 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-08-22, 12:56 PM
dingels75

Bikes: 1) 22' R-066 Disc SRAM Red 15.6 lbs 2) 19' Aero LCR012-D Ultegra 16.8 lbs 3) 16' R-066 SRAM Red 14.6 lbs. 4) Nashbar 105 CX 5) 95' Balance MTB 5) 96' Cannondale Multisport 800 650c 6) 87' Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for following up. I did get it figured out between this post, another forum and a ton of online research. I haven't acquired the wheels yet because the seller is out of town on business but We've agreed on the sale I'm going to pick them up next Tuesday when he gets home. If it's really an eleven speed hub then I'm done, he thinks that it is a ten speed freehub but through research and advice there are several directions I can go and this is not an uncommon practice. A company called Edco makes replacement freehubs to accomplish this. A few manufacturers make monoblock construction 11-speed cassettes that will work on a 10-speed freehub. These monoblock design cassettes are used on the 10-speed freehub with a deeper lock ring. In my case I have a Sram Red cassette that is the same type monoblock design so I should be able to buy a deep lock ring and keep my 11-speed Sram Red cassette. After I get the wheels I'll follow up with the results.