Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Name some (head scratcher) bike shop combos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 08:45 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts

Smaller towns often have combination bike shops, like "Bob's Bike and Lawnmower."

Medford Oregon has "Dave's Bike and Pool Supplies"

Not bike related, but a mall in Aberdeen WA had a "Gold and Tan" Jewelry and tanning salon.

What have you seen?
Old 10-10-23, 08:56 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Howl Adventure Center and Brewery Taproom in Bayfield, WI.
https://www.howlinbayfield.com/
Old 10-10-23, 09:40 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Howl Adventure Center and Brewery Taproom in Bayfield, WI.
https://www.howlinbayfield.com/
I dunno - many adventures end (and the really crazy ones START) with a brew… 😇
Old 10-10-23, 09:46 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,841 Posts
Spring City, one of the shops when I was growing up in my town, sold & serviced - Bikes, Motorcycles (owner raced), Snowmobiles and Skateboards (built a park in their parking lot). Full line-up of everything, pros in each deparment. Now it is a Trek shop, with about 30 bikes total. I stopped in to see what it was all about, if you can get them to stop ignoring you, they will provide you with all kinds of bad/incorect information.
Old 10-10-23, 09:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
A very durable shop was
W.L.A. Bike & Hobby on Santa Monica Blvd.
schwinn, and plastic model car kits and supplies, plus for a short time - rockets.
a huge long wall of model kits.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-10-23, 10:06 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Near the town square in Sierra Madre, CA, they put up a nice bicycle & coffee shop.
It lasted about one year, only, roughly seven years back. Superb place.
Some of the big group rides end here. I tried to get my cycling buddies to patronize it.
Old habits die hard, as they all liked the nearby Starbucks or liquor store. Thanks, fellas.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 10-10-23, 10:28 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Our local Schwinn dealer, who later sold American Eagles, was Menlo Bike and Key. A combined locksmith and bike shop.
Old 10-10-23, 10:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
There was Marge's Bike Barn and Herpetarium out on Rt 4, across from Cheater's Dance Emporium and Salvage, but the landslide of '09 washed it all away. Locals say it was an act of God.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-10-23, 10:46 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
There was Marge's Bike Barn and Herpetarium out on Rt 4, across from Cheater's Dance Emporium and Salvage, but the landslide of '09 washed it all away. Locals say it was an act of God.
Driving the serpents out of the Garden of Eden!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 10-10-23, 10:47 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Smaller towns often have combination bike shops, like "Bob's Bike and Lawnmower."

Medford Oregon has "Dave's Bike and Pool Supplies"

Not bike related, but a mall in Aberdeen WA had a "Gold and Tan" Jewelry and tanning salon.

What have you seen?
Not seen but well imagined,

Rob's Cycles and Wine

Colnago's, Cinelli's, DeRosa's and Merckx's.

Expert Master Sommelier and Chef services.

Any and all manner of pairing perfectly orchestrated to your taste.

Old 10-10-23, 11:09 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
On this day and age I wonder why nobody has combined a bicycle shop and law firm, specializing in liability and personal injury cases.
Old 10-10-23, 11:12 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Not exactly a head-scratcher, but this thread reminded of Talbot's in San Mateo, now unfortunately out of business.

There were three Talbot's stores, each with a front door to the street and its own sign, right next to each other and with connecting doors/walkways. There was Talbot's bike shop (a real drool-fest for a teenager in the mid-1970s just getting into the sport), Talbot's toy store, and Talbot's kids' clothing store. I don't recall what order the shops were in. I used to love those rare times I could make it across the Bay to visit. My lasting memory is their two stacks of chainwheels, one of Campagnolo Record (I assume all144mm bcd, but I don't know) and one of first-gen Shimano Dura Ace, both close to foot high, both cones of 'rings with the biggest on the bottom sloping up to the smallest on top. I thought it was a very cool visual. I remember buying a 47-tooth DA chainwheel to go with my DA crankset (for junior gearing - this was when I had delusions of being a racer). Good luck ever seeing the like today.

Talbot's used to be a fairly major bike racing squad sponsor until an unfortunate incident involving Club teens being driven back from a race flashing Playboy centerfolds at other motorists. (Rather scandalous for 1974 or so) They were riding in the store van with the store's name, address and phone number prominently displayed. A few irate phone calls to the store later, the sponsorship went "poof." And yes, there was an adult driving the van, someone who was well-known in West Coast (or at least Bay Area) racing circles and who was roundly and publicly chided for his role is this incident.
Old 10-10-23, 11:20 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Here's the logo of our local Trek/Stihl dealer:
Old 10-10-23, 11:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Not exactly a head-scratcher, but this thread reminded of Talbot's in San Mateo, now unfortunately out of business.

There were three Talbot's stores, each with a front door to the street and its own sign, right next to each other and with connecting doors/walkways. There was Talbot's bike shop (a real drool-fest for a teenager in the mid-1970s just getting into the sport), Talbot's toy store, and Talbot's kids' clothing store. I don't recall what order the shops were in. I used to love those rare times I could make it across the Bay to visit. My lasting memory is their two stacks of chainwheels, one of Campagnolo Record (I assume all144mm bcd, but I don't know) and one of first-gen Shimano Dura Ace, both close to foot high, both cones of 'rings with the biggest on the bottom sloping up to the smallest on top. I thought it was a very cool visual. I remember buying a 47-tooth DA chainwheel to go with my DA crankset (for junior gearing - this was when I had delusions of being a racer). Good luck ever seeing the like today.

Talbot's used to be a fairly major bike racing squad sponsor until an unfortunate incident involving Club teens being driven back from a race flashing Playboy centerfolds at other motorists. (Rather scandalous for 1974 or so) They were riding in the store van with the store's name, address and phone number prominently displayed. A few irate phone calls to the store later, the sponsorship went "poof." And yes, there was an adult driving the van, someone who was well-known in West Coast (or at least Bay Area) racing circles and who was roundly and publicly chided for his role is this incident.
there was a rider in our club who drove up and bought a full pantographed DeRosa in early 1974, short reach brakes even! He crashed it within a week, driver made a left in front of him. Drove back up and bought another one, orange the first was lilac. $850! Masi bikes were not yet up to $700. At the time. Rare bikes those DeRosas were at the time.
Old 10-10-23, 02:14 PM
dombey19

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Back in the days of my youth, many bike shops also repaired lawnmowers, even in large cities. In fact, I worked for a Schwinn distributor and we carried many lawnmower parts along with all the authorized Schwinn bikes and parts. Schwinn wanted these small shops to dump their lawnmowers and become exclusively bicycle dealers, but many hung on. I suppose the two went together in some ways, for when the mowing season died out in the fall, people went Christmas shopping for bicycles. It didn't make so much sense in the summers, however, because the bikes and mowers all were getting sold and serviced at the same time.
Old 10-10-23, 03:13 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
The local Maytag repairmen in my area must have been really bored (unbusy because of reliability), because they also sold Schwinns. Two great legacy American brands.
Old 10-10-23, 03:15 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Only one i can think of is fictional, and not cycling-related, thought definitely of the C&V period.

Bob Newhart, back when his TV days only included variety shows that had a taste for great humorists, had a stand-up comedy routine about the "Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Stormdoor Company."
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 10-10-23, 03:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by dombey19
Back in the days of my youth, many bike shops also repaired lawnmowers, even in large cities. In fact, I worked for a Schwinn distributor and we carried many lawnmower parts along with all the authorized Schwinn bikes and parts. Schwinn wanted these small shops to dump their lawnmowers and become exclusively bicycle dealers, but many hung on. I suppose the two went together in some ways, for when the mowing season died out in the fall, people went Christmas shopping for bicycles. It didn't make so much sense in the summers, however, because the bikes and mowers all were getting sold and serviced at the same time.
It made perfect sense, the mowers were employed to make the money to buy the bikes, it was a national pastime, the bikes then were then deployed for a paper route to make more money to further it all.
Old 10-10-23, 04:41 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
I'm surprised that those of you in snow country haven't mentioned the bike and ski shops. I've run across a couple over the years, Tahoe City and Mammoth I believe, but can't remember the name of either. A good combination for staying busy most of the year but probably tough to finance the overlapping seasonal inventory.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-10-23, 05:35 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I'm surprised that those of you in snow country haven't mentioned the bike and ski shops. I've run across a couple over the years, Tahoe City and Mammoth I believe, but can't remember the name of either. A good combination for staying busy most of the year but probably tough to finance the overlapping seasonal inventory.
Brent
Yes. Common for us northerners.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-10-23, 05:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
We had a Flat Tops and Flat Tires years ago where you could get a haircut and a tire fixed. Must not have been a great need as they didn't stay open long. I did see an old photo from the 50s of a local storefront that sold guns and bikes but I don't recall it had a catchy name.

Old 10-10-23, 06:01 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Combo Shops

In Waukegan, IL there was a Bicycle and Billiards shop. I.rode in the summer and shot pool in the winter. They closed up a few years ago. Bill
Old 10-10-23, 06:06 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Portland’s erstwhile Velo Cult was a bicycle shop, bicycle museum, coffee shop, bar… and there was a meeting space/comedy stage downstairs. Truly a do-everything space.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 10-10-23, 06:07 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Bow Cycle here in Calgary started out selling both pedal and motor bikes. I used to get parts for my honda 750 there. They split the stores up on either side of Bowness road for a while and started selling boats I think.
The moto shop is gone now, but the bike shop remains.
Old 10-10-23, 06:27 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
When I was a young lad (10?) the nearest bike shop also sold surfing equipment. This was in Hawaii so kind of sensible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.