Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The J.Lang Collection has added another magnificent machine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 07:39 PM
M A V

Bikes: Many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts

I'm happy to say the J.Lang Collection has added a 1971(?) Cinelli Supercorsa to the lineup. It's a beautifully preserved machine with a repaint (and a wrong decal) but a wonderful example of an Italian built masterpiece by one of the biggest names in cycling.

Old 12-17-23, 07:51 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
It does look wonderful but after spending years admiring Cinelli road bikes I must say that the TA crankset is very jarring!

-Gregory
Old 12-17-23, 08:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
It does look wonderful but after spending years admiring Cinelli road bikes I must say that the TA crankset is very jarring!

-Gregory
Keep in mind that Spense Wolf special ordered, specced and used many of these as a touring platform, many had TA cranks and his "Alpine gearing" mods for serious hill, mountain and back country riding.

Later on he used Merz to get exactly what his discerning clientele wanted.

He probably didn't use many of these cranks but the others are legendary as we know.
Old 12-17-23, 08:27 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by merziac
Keep in mind that Spense Wolf special ordered, specced and used many of these as a touring platform, many had TA cranks and his "Alpine gearing" mods for serious hill, mountain and back country riding.
Well, if anything else about this Cinelli resembled a touring bike or gearing I could understand that rationale. It looks like a pretty fast road machine to me!

-Gregory
Old 12-17-23, 08:31 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
chain is about 1 link too short

but nice otherwise

/markp
Old 12-17-23, 08:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Super Champion rims, TA cranks, Universal brakes, non standard pedals. I would seek out a Campagnolo seatpost and a second World Champion bands.
Looks purposeful and deliberate.
A Sunday morning ride bike.
Old 12-17-23, 09:14 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
I disagree. The more Cinelli that have gone through my hands, and some very original, I’ve seen some TA as original equip since campy didn’t make a triple at the time
Old 12-17-23, 09:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

-Gregory
And here's one actually with the crank in question.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...3-73e94257f7d9
Old 12-17-23, 09:20 PM
merziac

Well, if anything else about this Cinelli resembled a touring bike or gearing I could understand that rationale. It looks like a pretty fast road machine to me!

-Gregory
Agreed, but there was a lot of outside the box thinking that came out of Cupertino and some of it may simply have been just to be different, or not.
Old 12-17-23, 09:42 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Robvolz
I disagree. The more Cinelli that have gone through my hands, and some very original, I’ve seen some TA as original equip since campy didn’t make a triple at the time
I'm not an expert on Spence Wolf Cinellis, but please keep in mind that I followed up that my comment was based on the fact that this particular TA crank is clearly set up for fast road riding with big rings and only a double, with a standard Nuovo Record derailleur and tight cluster. If this bike had obviously been set up with touring or some crazy hills in mind, then I would totally understand the rationale. Here it just seems like it's on there for the sake of being different, which is fine, but it's clearly not the norm.

-Gregory
Old 12-17-23, 09:47 PM
M A V

Bikes: Many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
This one isn't in the list of serial numbers sold through Cupertino, but all the components came from a 6 year period (pedals were just thrown on for test ride), 3 years on either side of the frame build year. I respect the original build, I'm sure someday others will look at my modern builds and wonder why I picked the parts I did.
Old 12-17-23, 09:57 PM
merziac

I'm not an expert on Spence Wolf Cinellis, but please keep in mind that I followed up that my comment was based on the fact that this particular TA crank is clearly set up for fast road riding with big rings and only a double, with a standard Nuovo Record derailleur and tight cluster. If this bike had obviously been set up with touring or some crazy hills in mind, then I would totally understand the rationale. Here it just seems like it's on there for the sake of being different, which is fine, but it's clearly not the norm.

-Gregory
Also agreed, maybe they were out of Campy cranks that day or just simple cross pollination.
Old 12-17-23, 10:00 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by M A V
This one isn't in the list of serial numbers sold through Cupertino, but all the components came from a 6 year period (pedals were just thrown on for test ride), 3 years on either side of the frame build year. I respect the original build, I'm sure someday others will look at my modern builds and wonder why I picked the parts I did.
One can only hope.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-17-23, 10:00 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts

-Gregory
I'm with Gregory here. I associate that particular crankset with the pre G.S. Raleigh Competitions of the '70s. Good value, but not top-drawer. And certainly not for touring as a cinq-vis TA setup would be.
Old 12-17-23, 10:07 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by daka
I'm with Gregory here. I associate that particular crankset with the pre G.S. Raleigh Competitions of the '70s. Good value, but not top-drawer. And certainly not for touring as a cinq-vis TA setup would be.
I just thought it looked out of place and hadn't even thought of the fact that it probably cost less than half of what a Nuovo Record crankset would have at the time. A lot of you guys are old enough to remember what was going on in cycling at the time but as a youngin' the best I have to go by is old photos and trying to make sure that the components on my builds make sense. Having them mostly be within the same category of value for what they are seems like a logical thing to do. The exception comes at times like those described above, when TA cranks would be put onto machines that may typically have more expensive Campangolo arms because a triple was required, etc.

-Gregory
Old 12-17-23, 10:28 PM
repechage

you are offending FiFi

Last edited by repechage; 12-17-23 at 10:31 PM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-17-23, 10:52 PM
merziac

So this crank is a 3 arm TA Professional according to Velobase, yes Raleigh used them too on the 76 GS. Maybe not top drawer but Spense obviously thought it a worthy component.

I wasn't saying the bike in question is any kind of a touring bike, it obviously is not but if that crank is original, somebody had their reasons for using it.

Maybe this bike made its way to Spense or somebody that was influenced by him, maybe not, all conjecture at best, especially on my part.
Old 12-17-23, 11:16 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
you are offending FiFi

Well, I wouldn't want to do anything to offend FiFi. Interesting nickname, I thought a "FiFi" was a member of the Free French which fought against the Vichy regime and the Nazis during WW2.
Anyway, we can only speculate as to why the bike is outfitted the way it is. Maybe the owner had just broken yet another Campy Record crank arm and decided to try a different brand......
Old 12-17-23, 11:33 PM
repechage

Well, I wouldn't want to do anything to offend FiFi. Interesting nickname, I thought a "FiFi" was a member of the Free French which fought against the Vichy regime and the Nazis during WW2.
Anyway, we can only speculate as to why the bike is outfitted the way it is. Maybe the owner had just broken yet another Campy Record crank arm and decided to try a different brand......
T.A. Cranks had a rep for a small “Q” factor.
Old 12-18-23, 11:53 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
I can only hope that fifty years from now my modern bikes generate this amount of debate over my eclectic component choices.

In 1971 much bike building was more a la carte than it is today. Most of us bought bare framesets and hung our choice of components on them. Those choices were often dictated by what we could transfer over from our previous bike, also by our budget, sponsorship deals, and previous experience. In subsequent years we replaced and upgraded as needed. We were not yet concerned with "period correct." Perhaps the fully period correct bikes with all the matching components that we collectors are thrilled to find now days are the ones that were originally bought as complete bikes and went almost directly from the hook in the bike shop to a hook in a garage where they slumbered for decades. Bikes like the OP's are the ones that were ridden.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-18-23, 12:23 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I can only hope that fifty years from now my modern bikes generate this amount of debate over my eclectic component choices.

In 1971 much bike building was more a la carte than it is today. Most of us bought bare framesets and hung our choice of components on them. Those choices were often dictated by what we could transfer over from our previous bike, also by our budget, sponsorship deals, and previous experience. In subsequent years we replaced and upgraded as needed.
We were not yet concerned with "period correct." Perhaps the fully period correct bikes with all the matching components that we collectors are thrilled to find now days are the ones that were originally bought as complete bikes and went almost directly from the hook in the bike shop to a hook in a garage where they slumbered for decades. Bikes like the OP's are the ones that were ridden.
Brent
Some of us still aren't. At least not very much.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 12-18-23 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 12-18-23, 06:09 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Cyclist back then weren't beholden to used all matching brand ajd/or model components on their bikes as much as we C&Vers are today.
For example, I did not find anything wrong with using a Suntour Cyclone MkII RD or a pat 83 Campy NR RD on my otherwise, mostly French 84 Peugeot PSV. Back in the 80's.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)