Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fallen out of love with my Brompton..What next?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 01:01 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I have had a few Bromptons , Bike Fridays and Dahons..I always regret selling my Tikit .My biggest issue with the Brompton is fixing the rear wheel puncture..I know the fold is brilliant and the ride is quite good..not Tikit standard though..At the moment I am in Thailand and I keep seeing Mint and Backer bikes which have Brompton size tyres and wheels,disc brakes,cable or hydraulic,9 or 10 gears, bifold designs like Dahons,chromoly frames and I am so tempted....all around $250 USD or £200 GBP...I am so tempted ..
Can anyone give me their thoughts..please..?
Old 11-24-23, 03:20 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The first thing is up to you to know if a bifold that folds much bigger than a Brompton and is much less easy to carry fits for your needs.

If its fit, making a choice between the many brands/models of bifold is a second step.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 11-24-23, 05:14 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by tudorowen1
My biggest issue with the Brompton is fixing the rear wheel puncture.
I get that. Have you considered a Schwalbe Marathon Plus? It reduces punctures to near zero... and worst case, it you actually DO get a flat, it'll fold and store in an UBER with ease
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-24-23, 05:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I have a Schwalbe Marathon Plus in the 20" size on my Bike Friday and I think I might have never had it go flat. However, I had very few flats with Marathon or Continental Contact Urban on Brompton. Otherwise, the level of challenge in taking the Brompton wheel off is a matter of practice. Still, it is up to the rider to pick the battles they want to fight. In that area, incidentally, Marathon Plus is not much fun to ride on.

Last edited by 2_i; 11-25-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-25-23, 10:16 AM
pmhlb

Bikes: Carmel low-entry by Specialized/Globe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot offer hands-on advice, as I am in the researching stages, in my quest for a folding bike. So far, however, the one that impresses me most is the Tern BYB P8. Very nice compact folder! It has the most compact fold of 20” folders. The weight, at 31.4 lbs, is a bit heavy, however.
Old 11-25-23, 10:21 AM
Jipe

The Birdy R20 11S now named "Birdy R" has 20" wheels, folds smaller and weight less than the BYB, all this without hinge on its frame.

Its possible to mount 20" wheels on any Birdy 3 to have a 20" Birdy 3.

Last edited by Jipe; 11-25-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-25-23, 04:35 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Go Dutch, no need to take the rear wheel off the bike if you know how to locate and fix a puncture.

And do get stronger tires, eg. Marathon Plus.

Likes For Winfried:
Old 11-25-23, 05:33 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The first thing is up to you to know if a bifold that folds much bigger than a Brompton and is much less easy to carry fits for your needs.

If its fit, making a choice between the many brands/models of bifold is a second step.
The Mint is a Brompton clone, but doesn’t use proprietary parts. It folds exactly the same way and to the same size, but you can use off-the-shelf Shimano or SRAM driveline and brake parts (including disc brakes). It also has quick release wheels, so you don’t have to carry a wrench to remove the rear wheel, or disconnect the shifter cable at the axle. To top it off, a Mint costs about half as much as a Brompton.
Old 12-05-23, 03:38 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Go Dutch, no need to take the rear wheel off the bike if you know how to locate and fix a puncture.

And do get stronger tires, eg. Marathon Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfq_e6HBZq0
Nice video. How do you carry the bucket of water for roadside repairs?
Old 12-05-23, 03:34 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'm sorta jealous. You have way more Brompton clone options than here in NA (although we have bike friday and the Origami Swift).

I'd say try the clone. Buy what you like riding.
The Brompton has a brilliant fold, brilliant luggage system, adequate ride, and weird proprietary parts.
It annoys me to be using 50+ year old shifters on a bike that's worth a few thousand dollars.
Old 12-05-23, 04:57 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Getting the rear wheel off on a non-P or T line Brompton isn't hard with a little practice. Getting a
Old 12-05-23, 05:12 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Getting the rear wheel off on a non-P or T line Brompton isn't hard with a little practice. Getting a Marathon Plus off is not easy. Flipping the bike upside down and having something to rest the grips and saddle is a good idea, but that would be true for most bikes. I have a 2010 Brompton which I have fixed punctures on a lot. I use marathon racers (easy to get on and off) and carry a couple extra innertubes because the damn goatheads common in the US Southwest can leave holes that require tire immersion to find the hole
Spoiler

Last edited by 12boy; 12-05-23 at 05:13 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-05-23, 06:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The Mint is a Brompton clone, but doesn’t use proprietary parts. It folds exactly the same way and to the same size, but you can use off-the-shelf Shimano or SRAM driveline and brake parts (including disc brakes). It also has quick release wheels, so you don’t have to carry a wrench to remove the rear wheel, or disconnect the shifter cable at the axle. To top it off, a Mint costs about half as much as a Brompton.
Got link to this "Mint" you're talkin' bout?
Old 12-05-23, 09:35 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
This might help.
https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour

Or just get a pair of Schwalbe Marathon tires.
Likes For DVC45:
Old 12-05-23, 10:11 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by tds101
Got link to this "Mint" you're talkin' bout?
I did a search for a recent Brompton Clone thread and frankly ran out of time.....

Might be time for a new one....
Old 12-06-23, 09:48 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I did a search for a recent Brompton Clone thread and frankly ran out of time.....

Might be time for a new one....
I so want a 20" wheeled Brommie w/an IGH. The Brompton lineup is so outdated. I love everything EXCEPT the drivetrain and brakes. I require IGH + discs, but I personally REFUSE to purchase one and be forced to mod it.
Old 12-06-23, 10:02 AM
CrimsonEclipse

I so want a 20" wheeled Brommie w/an IGH. The Brompton lineup is so outdated. I love everything EXCEPT the drivetrain and brakes. I require IGH + discs, but I personally REFUSE to purchase one and be forced to mod it.
Preach it brother!
Old 12-06-23, 11:16 AM
Jipe

You can buy a fully mounted 20" Brompton with disc brakes and IGH (Alfine 8 or Alfine 11 or Enviolo or Rohloff or Kindernay) from Kinetics Glasgow.
Old 12-06-23, 11:20 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

You can buy a fully mounted 20" Brompton with disc brakes and IGH (Alfine 8 or Alfine 11 or Enviolo or Rohloff or Kindernay) from Kinetics Glasgow.
It's an import for me, and it's still a MOD, and totally unsupported by Brompton. I also know all about this, and I have for years. Not interested... Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 12-06-23, 11:33 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
If you miss the Tikit, why don't you get another? Or the newer Pakit?
Old 12-06-23, 12:04 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I have or rather had a 6 speed Brommie that I had briefly converted to a 9 speed. I found that I almost always used the BWR in 2nd gear. I like riding plush flexible tires and Primo Comets were my preference. As they wear kind of fast, I would get flat tires fairly regularly. I finally bought a used rear two speed wheel, in part just to make dealing with flats easier. I converted it to three speeds, too, I changed the cogs and put on 19T, so I would have a bailout low gear. Unfortunately, it is still pretty high at near 40 gear inches. I do live in Flatlandia, so I can make it work for the occasional levee or bridge. Today I Conti Urbans. In the three years or so I have had them I got one flat, and it was in the front.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 12-06-23, 04:44 PM
Jipe

It's an import for me, and it's still a MOD, and totally unsupported by Brompton. I also know all about this, and I have for years. Not interested... Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Yes, its a kind of mod but done by replacing major parts of the frame by professionally designed+manufactured new ones and mounted by a professional bicycle manufacturer (its a small one, but its really a manufacturer, its more a manufacturer than brands that only assemble bikes from parts, including the frame, sourced in China).

And I think that seen where you live, almost all bikes are import (excepted Bike Friday).
Old 12-06-23, 05:03 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Yes, its a kind of mod but done by replacing major parts of the frame by professionally designed+manufactured new ones and mounted by a professional bicycle manufacturer (its a small one, but its really a manufacturer, its more a manufacturer than brands that only assemble bikes from parts, including the frame, sourced in China).

And I think that seen where you live, almost all bikes are import (excepted Bike Friday).
Ok, since you're being more difficult than I care to deal with, but I'll explain it to you this way. I have a BROMTON dealership in Manhattan, NY that I can get support from. I can visit a local bike shop and get DAHON or TERN support (authorized), I can also get personal support from ORIGAMI BIKES here in the USA. The company that you're recommending ISN'T A LOCAL ENOUGH OPTION, and it's a MODIFIED BROMTON THAT I'M NOT INTERESTED IN.

Since you're a BROMTON devotee HOPEFULLY this is a bit clearer to you now. I'm not interested in an IMPORTED TO ME BROMTON modded bike.
Old 12-07-23, 04:17 AM
Jipe

OK, its clear that you are no interested but its not a MOD like the numerous Brompton modified their owners with Chinese parts.

Kinetics is a company that design and manufacture its own fork and rear triangle and mount them together with several types of IGH to sell a fully functional bike.

If this is a MOD, then all the bike sold by "manufacturers" that sell complete bike that they assemble themself using an existing frame they buy somewhere (like Kinetics does for the Brompton frame he use) are also MOD's.
Old 12-07-23, 08:40 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I take it the "local to ME" part doesn't register with you? Have a great weekend...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.