Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

A few Trainer setup questions

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

A few Trainer setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 07:42 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by South Pa
Could you define that? Not sure what 'dropout' is, and is the first cog high or low? Thanks.

I adjusted the derailleurs and indexed whilst watching the Park Tool videos.
The bit of the frame that holds the wheel

so this gap
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-13-24, 09:41 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts

Here's a better pic. The chain is on the third cog, the first cog is the SMALLEST cog. The dropout is the flat part of the frame where the axle lock nuts meet up with it. That distance between the dropout and the first cog should be the same on the wheel and on the trainer because that is the point where the indexing starts.

When using Zwift, turn off the Fenix watch. It is unnecessary to use both. As I said above, you are only getting signals on 3 things, watts, cadence and HR. And Zwift must be the app controlling the trainer. It could well be the watch is controlling the trainer and hence you are not getting what Zwift is providing. Everything else is derived. If you look at the Zwift display you see those three metrics, watts, cadence, hr., in the upper left. The derived numbers are in the middle, with speed, distance, elevation up, and time. Below that are some Zwift specific items about the game. The upper right is the map, with the grade displayed. That grade is fed back to the trainer to control it and make it more or less difficult. In the pic I'm only putting out 44 watts, with a cadence of 55 and an HR of 125. I was just soft pedaling to take the pic..

In ERG mode with a workout the screen is different. I don't have a pic handy. But in ERG mode it isn't the grade that controls the trainer, it is the watts. The trainer will hold the watts based on what Zwift tells it. It doesn't mater if you increase or decrease your cadence, or if you shift gears. It tells the trainer how to apply resistance so that you always produce the same watts. The trainer then feeds the actual watts back to Zwift with whatever variation it may encounter, It usually only varies during transitions.

Your trainer also simulates road surface. I know nothing about that since mine doesn't, but there are definitely rough roads in Zwift. It's just another control Zwift would have to send to the trainer.

Is the Fenix providing HR data or do you have a separate HR device that it reads?

Last edited by zacster; 02-13-24 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-14-24, 03:31 PM
South Pa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've measured the dropout and will check when I next take the bike off the trainer.

Regarding using both Fenix and Zwift to track, disabling the neo connection in the watch and using the Indoor Cycling app seems to do the trick. It seems to still use the sensors on the neo 3M, i.e., Power. Garmin also tracks Power balance (L/R), where Zwift doesn't. I'll likely try just Zwift tracking for a bit to allow the Fenix to catch up in its conclusions before trying again. I may just end up using Zwift for the trainer and the Fenix for outdoor. I do notice that the fenix tracks a few elements that Zwift doesn't and vice-versa.

There is also a difference in the numbers...speed, watts, impact, etc. Not sure which is correct.

Originally Posted by zacster
Your trainer also simulates road surface. I know nothing about that since mine doesn't, but there are definitely rough roads in Zwift. It's just another control Zwift would have to send to the trainer.

Is the Fenix providing HR data or do you have a separate HR device that it reads?
Yes, it does simulate road surface texture, but I don't really care about that. In fact, after trying all the different spacer combinations, I rode with Zwift and thought I might have damaged teh flywheel/magnetics, since the pedling was a bit 'jerky', but then realized I was on a cobblestone road.

For HR, I use an HRM-Dual for Zwift and just let the Fenix HR sensor apply to its own data.

I've turned ERG off for the present. I haven't been able to ride consistently for a while and want to build myself back up with straight riding. Once I do, I may try the ERG again. I'm almost positive that the connection of both to the Neo 3M is what casued the issues for the watch.
Old 02-15-24, 01:51 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by South Pa

There is also a difference in the numbers...speed, watts, impact, etc. Not sure which is correct.
I found that Zwift reports a higher average power compared to recording power directly via the trainer app (Wahoo in my case). Speed in Zwift is just derived from power and its own physics model. What other speed are you comparing this with?
Old 02-15-24, 05:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I found that Zwift reports a higher average power compared to recording power directly via the trainer app (Wahoo in my case). Speed in Zwift is just derived from power and its own physics model. What other speed are you comparing this with?
Is this a difference of including the zeroes? Zwift will pause the ride when everything stops, but will include zero power when going downhill.
Old 02-15-24, 06:55 PM
South Pa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Fenix 7 Pro>Garmin Connect. Even when both were connected to the Neo. Not just power, but speed and cadence, Training effect and others differ. Also, both connected to Neo seemed to throw the Fenix/Garmin training stats off. Recovery times, training readiness, etc.

I just finished a ride using only Zwift. I'm thinking I may disconnect Zwift from Garmin Connect and use the Fenix (connected to Neo, not just Indoor Cycling App) to track. I get more data, and the Garmin conclusions on the ride are absent when using only Zwift to track. And, as this thread demonstrates, Garmin loses its mind when both are connected.

Edit: Just thinking...I have to let Zwift connect to the Neo 3. But using the Fenix 'indoor cycling' app without connecting to the Neo yesterday seemed to calm Garmin down a bit. I think it'll take a few days for the Fenix to catch up and all should be OK. I'll post back and let y'all know.

Last edited by South Pa; 02-15-24 at 08:47 PM.