Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The perfect bike shop

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The perfect bike shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 02:05 AM
toddrowell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The perfect bike shop

I am thinking of opening a shop of my own. What would make the perfect shop to you?
Old 03-07-04, 05:58 AM
TrekRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddrowell
I am thinking of opening a shop of my own. What would make the perfect shop to you?
First and foremost, a knowledgable sales staff and excellent mechanics. That must be buttressed by an enticing presentation of your wares. It shouldn't be so cluttered that customers can't walk up to and touch any bike, nor should it be so bare that customers can't tell what business you are in!

Feng shui goes a long way towards luring customers off the street.

Oh, yes, and location, location, location.
Old 03-07-04, 06:36 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have enough capital that you can carry inventory to let the customer take the bike home. Nothing turns off customers faster than "I'll have to order it"...and I am talking the average bike...$500 ish MTB, $1,200-1,500 road bike, hybrids, comforts, etc...better bikes, bikes over $2,500, you cannot afford to carry, in a shop, a huge inventory.

Have accessories, like 2-3 pedal lines, 2-3 shoe lines, 2-3 manufacturers for clothing. A couple to three helmet lines.

a good parts inventory so that you can repair and get the bike back to the customer quickly. Having a bike out of commission for a week or two for a part you should have had in stock does not make customer's happy.

But all that takes capital...
Old 03-07-04, 08:00 AM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knowledge...that's what I like. Then, I'll ask for decent pricing (not expecting you to beat the net but be at least close) maybe discount cards for frequent customers, etc.

The other thing I feel is very important: NOT complaining that "this town sucks" or "I owe X amount of $$$" or "The people that buy online are a bunch of $%^^&&*"

PJ
Old 03-07-04, 08:32 AM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Topless sales staff and free coffee.

But seriously, quality sales staff and community involvement is very important to me. I don't mind paying for great service, which is very hard to find these days.
Old 03-07-04, 08:37 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I think that one of the best qualities of a good shop is a low pressure atmosphere. on the weekends, one of my favorite shops turns from a chill type of place to a madhouse...and there are like 6 salespeople working...its a bit hectic, with everyone trying to give you what you want...
Old 03-07-04, 09:44 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Someone with a million dollars startup money so it would take longer for them to go broke!
Old 03-07-04, 09:59 AM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Someone with a million dollars startup money so it would take longer for them to go broke!
OUCH!
Old 03-07-04, 10:13 AM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Owners who bike.
Owners who work with you.
Good prices.
Owners who can get what you need.
Good mechanic.
Relaxed environment - OLN on the TV, seats, cookies.
Enthusiasm.

Get all these and you don't need location - people will come to you from anywhere.
Old 03-07-04, 10:35 AM
MtnMan

Bikes: Fondriest & Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I have always wanted to see in a LBS is a demo program. The high dollar, personal taste items like pedals, seats, boutique wheels. You rent for a couple days and if you like 'em, you deduct the rental fee from the purchase price. It could help you turn a lot of inventory. And when your done with the rental items, sell 'em on Ebay.
Old 03-07-04, 12:02 PM
toddrowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone thanks for the feedback. I have found most of the bike shops in my area to be so-so, when I open my own I want it to be a place you want to hang out at. keep the ideas coming.
Todd
Old 03-07-04, 01:00 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekRider
Oh, yes, and location, location, location.
....AND, equally as important.... parking,
parking, parking...
Old 03-07-04, 02:01 PM
yoni
Long-winded, semi-helpful

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Veloce, Schwinn 3-speed, coaster-brake road bike, Fuji MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
....AND, equally as important.... parking,
parking, parking...
By that, you do mean bike racks, right?..

Back to the original question: a staff and mgmt that is truly enthusiastic about getting people onto bikes and shows the same respect to someone who's got a limited budget but really wants to get on 2 wheels as to someone who'll spend as much as it takes to get the fancy stuff.

And I don't know how affluent a town or section of town you'll be in, but most likely you'll need your staff trained to calmly and clearly explain why bike stuff costs as much as it does. Even people with a bunch of money often think of bikes as toys and will be shocked that your simplest bike seems noncompetitive w/department stores.. You've got to be ready to deal with these people and explain yourself over and over without getting defensive and frustrated.

Also a non-condescending attitude to people with cheapo old beat-up bikes. Down here, those are the primary or only transportation for some people. Many of them will be very, er, thrifty when getting these bikes fixed. If you explain to them the importance of your work to their safety and to the lifespan of their bikes, many will be happier about spending the money and they'll think of you first when they're ready to spring for a nicer bike.

I like the demo program idea suggested by MtnMan, too, especially as someone who's always ridden homemade/recycled bikes and is just getting into the fancy stuff. I would definitely pay full retail for equipment from someone who let me try it out first..

Good luck.
y.
Old 03-07-04, 02:17 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by yoni
By that, you do mean bike racks, right?.. y.
..... More than 9 out of 10 customers frequenting bike shops will do so by car.....

George
Old 03-07-04, 03:12 PM
Poppaspoke

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have every road bike professionally fitted! This means taking all the necessary measurements and asking many questions. At least one person at the shop should be trained in this. Changing out stems or adding spacers to make the bike fit should be done at a nominal charge. DO NOT fob off an ill-fitting frame to clear inventory! You need a few lust bikes to lure in drooling customers, but be able to accomodate cyclists on a budget with high quality/ high value lines like Fuji or Raleigh. Be seen and be active in the local biking scene...or create your own if necessary.
Old 03-07-04, 03:54 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone thanks for the feedback. I have found most of the bike shops in my area to be so-so, when I open my own I want it to be a place you want to hang out at. keep the ideas coming.
Todd

i'd have to go along with everything everyone has said already. especially that comment about having a TV on with cycling...even if it's just a DVD. i always like to hang out in bike shops, for some reason, they just feel like home to me.

are you in N. california? if you're around berkeley, you should check out momovelo. they're a great little shop and the owner is super friendly and knowledgible. they're not a typical roadie shop as they sell more custom, high-zoot "city bikes." it's a great little place, that seems to be run more out of a labor of love than for profit.
Old 03-07-04, 04:08 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Funny Bike TT,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with what a few of your repliers said. "having merchandise on the floor" People want to touch, feel, ride etc. and then they want to take it home and not wait.(you can buy a gun and have it quicker than a bike) Otherwise they could just order from the the maker direct. Also as other stated, product knowledge, I hate when the salesperson is looking at comisssions and not what you are looking for, and he doesnt know a thing about the product other than the comission he will make. Also people like to buy accessories, such as jerseys, bibs, helmets, gloves, bottles , cages etc. with their bike make, such as Bianchi, Trek, Cannondale etc. I have found one Bianchi dealer in my area, he does have some Bianchi bicycles and gear, but not a lot. Several Bianchi dealers in my area do not have one Bianchi in their stores, but they do have a sign saying authorized Bianchi Dealer, grrrrrrrrr I can order my stuff from Bianchi USA the same place they get their items if I wanted to order... So my answers are "In stock merchandise and product knowledge and no pushy sales persons"
Good Luck
Old 03-07-04, 07:22 PM
Diesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion to you would to own the building you plan to open your bike shop in, or obtain an excellent lease rate. I have seen many good bike shops fold due to high rent and low bike sales. What city and state are you considering to start a bike shop? As mentioned above location is key, but if you live where it snows during the winter months you may want to consider a cross-sport approach (ie: ski shop in the winter).
Good luck!
Old 03-07-04, 09:22 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Be as fair with your pricing of accessories and parts ($7.99 for a velcro strap???) as you are with the bikes.

55/Rad
Old 03-07-04, 09:27 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Be as fair with your pricing of accessories and parts ($7.99 for a velcro strap???) as you are with the bikes.

55/Rad

SERIOUSLY i had to pay $5.00 for a simple road brake cable once...and the kid working there didn't even know what i was talking about!
Old 03-08-04, 10:38 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
in a word Service.
Treat every customer as if they were either long
time friends or someone who has dropped serious
cash in the store, even if all they bought was some
$5.00 part.
example. New shop opens in town (affiliate of a VERY
good shop about 25 miles from house), 2 trips to store and they know my name. 3rd trip they offer coffee.
They take time to listen to customers, all of them and
are not pushy. Sure my purchases haven't been huge
(yet) but they Will get my next big ticket item, probably
a new bike, custom frame campy 10 speed.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-08-04, 10:52 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might not be realistic to have everything you'd like to have on your floor on your floor, but have a good ordering system where you don't leave the customer hanging. Don't ask the customer to pick up freight on a special order unless they want it rushed. It'll eat into your already small margin a bit, but that customer will come back if they get what they want for the same price as if they took it right off of the floor. I worked for a shop that sucked at ordering stuff. Orders were only done one day a week, on Monday, and if you ordered something on Tuesday the order wasn't placed with the vendor until the next week. If your ordering service is good, you don't have to have a massive inventory. In a world with mailorders taking under a week from order to arrival, you've got to be fast.
Old 03-08-04, 11:27 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
support amature racing. Have a race team. Promote racing. Have a good updated web site.
Old 03-08-04, 11:32 AM
on2wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents

I was recently turned off by a remark made by an employee at my LBS. I just spent $550 for my wife's Trek 4900, got home, and realized there were no front or rear reflectors. I went back to the shop the following weekend, asking for the reflectors. The guy looked at me and said "real mountain bikers don't use reflectors". I replied "I just spent $550 for this and want the reflectors that should have come with the bike". LBS employee responded "I have a $3,000 bike that doesn't have reflectors". Needless to say, I got very angry. I got my reflectors anyway, and have since boycotted that shop. I called the owner of the shop to express my frustration, she was very apologetic, but they've lost my business forever.
Old 03-08-04, 11:40 AM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter and utility cyclist merchandise!!! I know this is in the road bike thread, but I'm sayin' it anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.