Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you ever think people overcomplicate this?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you ever think people overcomplicate this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 01:23 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
There's nothing wrong with keeping things simple. Some folks enjoy accessories and all that so there's nothing wrong with 'complicating' things if it keeps them enthusiastic about commuting.

Also, if you're going to an internet forum seeking advice from a bunch of strangers, it should be obvious the answers will be as varied as opinions are.

Last edited by cobrabyte; 04-15-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 01:42 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I learned a lot of things about bike commuting by jumping onto the BSO I had and commuting. I did eventually figure things out, but I wish I'd done many things differently. Would have saved my a lot of hassle! I wish I'd learned much sooner:

- about fenders
- about bike lighting systems
- to not be afraid of drop bars and clipless pedals
- about racks and panniers
- about dangers of sidewalk riding

I do sometimes wonder if people are turned off commuting because they read about all the fancy gizmos allegedly "required" for it, but then I wonder if more people aren't turned off it because they think that all bikes ride like the crappy Walmart special that's been rusting in the garage for years, getting wet and dirty on bike commutes is inevitable, and you have to carry everything in a backpack. So I think these forums are useful, and there is nothing wrong with "complicated". Most commenters actually do tell newbies that just about any bike will work for commuting, and there are no set, rigid rules, so if simplicity works, go for it. If not, this is a good place to explore options.
Old 04-15-15, 01:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
One of the big lightbulb moments for me was when I realized that bike commuting is simply going for a ride that happens to end at work. Just figure out what you need to ride there and what you'll need once you get there. Everything else is details.

(And the other big lightbulb moment was when I realized that there's no law that requires me to take the most direct route.)
Old 04-15-15, 05:05 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Shhhh! I'm busy here.

Old 04-15-15, 07:46 PM
rollwithme

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte

Also, if you're going to an internet forum seeking advice from a bunch of strangers, it should be obvious the answers will be as varied as opinions are.
I do understand that, in theory, but everything was pretty unanimous around here and I had no other resources for information...besides other forums. I knew nobody in "real life" that even rode as a kid (I probably did one single time, if at all). And when I finally found someone locally that could have probably been a good resource, he died. I am not kidding. He had worked at a store not far away and had a website and everything....and when I finally found out about him, they were setting up a memorial ride

Eerily enough, the same exact thing happened when I got my spin bike. There was just *** one *** guy who had tons and tons of spin bike knowledge, especially about the one I got, and he died right as I learned of his video channel. Like right at the same time.