Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 07:26 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Suntour freewheel has been adjusted and the play is gone. Seems smooth so far, though I will have to take some time and listen to it for a bit to make sure all is good. I mean, in all fairness, there's a bit of wear to the ratchet, so probably I should look at other freewheel bodies I have and see if I can transplant the sprockets to it. But that's not something urgent.
Other than that I managed to find some time to start digging up parts for C5 and Superator. Now I'm not sure whether I will use Huret Success Titane for C5. On one hand, that would keep it very authentic, on the other though, it will be a downgrade to anything else I might put on it (most likely Suntour Vx, I have one NOS). Looking at that poor Huret, which, other than Jubile, was their top of the line, and comparing it to Suntour Vx is like comparing a crude stone age tool to a nice, artisan made one. So perhaps instead of going for all genuine Motobecane components, I should just go for period correct, perfectly functional and comfortable in use.
Other than that, got a Suntour Blue Line rear derailleur in post today. Lots of muck, grime and rust where it could rust. So we'll see how this goes. Mechanically seems sound and I have some spare parts from 2 Vx. One nice thing is that the pulley wheels do not seem to have much wear. I don't have many Suntour pulley wheels in good condition to spare, so this will be handy whatever the outcome of this overhaul. The idea is to use this RD together with Blue Line FD on some mixte frame in the future.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-20-24, 09:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Suntour freewheel has been adjusted and the play is gone. Seems smooth so far, though I will have to take some time and listen to it for a bit to make sure all is good. I mean, in all fairness, there's a bit of wear to the ratchet, so probably I should look at other freewheel bodies I have and see if I can transplant the sprockets to it. But that's not something urgent.
Other than that I managed to find some time to start digging up parts for C5 and Superator. Now I'm not sure whether I will use Huret Success Titane for C5. On one hand, that would keep it very authentic, on the other though, it will be a downgrade to anything else I might put on it (most likely Suntour Vx, I have one NOS). Looking at that poor Huret, which, other than Jubile, was their top of the line, and comparing it to Suntour Vx is like comparing a crude stone age tool to a nice, artisan made one. So perhaps instead of going for all genuine Motobecane components, I should just go for period correct, perfectly functional and comfortable in use.
Other than that, got a Suntour Blue Line rear derailleur in post today. Lots of muck, grime and rust where it could rust. So we'll see how this goes. Mechanically seems sound and I have some spare parts from 2 Vx. One nice thing is that the pulley wheels do not seem to have much wear. I don't have many Suntour pulley wheels in good condition to spare, so this will be handy whatever the outcome of this overhaul. The idea is to use this RD together with Blue Line FD on some mixte frame in the future.
Many motos came with suntour. Seems like a reasonable move. Vx is the bomb. Cheap, light and great working.
Old 03-21-24, 04:45 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Many motos came with suntour. Seems like a reasonable move. Vx is the bomb. Cheap, light and great working.
It's interesting how after a year of handling and using mostly Suntour derailleurs (Superbe and Vx), pulling the set of Huret Success TItane from the box feels like going back in time more than to the mid-70's. The RD is quite nice actually and I like the fact I can nearly completely dismantle it, including pulling parallelogram bolts out. Unfortunately, the picot spring is tired and probably could use a replacement, so that's something I will have to look for. I'm hoping one of the 10 or so Sachs/Huret derailleurs I have gathering dust, can become a donor. As for the front derailleur, that is one clunky mechanism. This does feel ancient in terms of design. The quality of finish isn't great, even comparing with something mid-range like Suntour Vx. Great thing about it though is that, again, it can be dismantled nearly completely. Not that it's easy to put back together But overall, both of these I think would work great on a late 60's frame and wouldn't feel out of place.
The parts I have for this build came off French market Motobecane C5: Belleri stem and handlebar, Hutchinson rubber covers, Weinmann 605 levers and brakes, Stronglight / Motobecane headset, Stronglight Competition bottom bracket, Stronglight 105 BIS TER crankset, SR pedals. I might even reuse Sedis chain from that one. I haven't decided on the seatpost yet, but it will likely be SR Laprade (as the original one) or JPR. Original saddle I had was Turbo, I will probably switch to San Marco Concor. Orginal wheels were basic Maillard hubs on Weinmann concave rims - this will be changed to Normandy Luxe Competition on MA40 when I get the chance to overhaul the hubs and rebuild the wheels. Interestingly, the freewheel I had with this bunch was Suntour NWN. And Huret Success Titane derailleurs. This configuartion was very typical for Motobecane C5 sold in Europe. Other variants were, from what I've seen in the catalogs, Super Champion rims, Pelissier 1000 hubs and Philippe handlebar. I have also seen C5s with top level Simplex derailleurs (and SLJ shifters instead of Huret ones). In France, they would typically be equipped with French derailleurs. But of course, I don't have to keep it exactly the same way it appears in the catalog. Bicycles are for riding, so they should be well equipped for that.
The thing is: I can keep it as close to original, as possible, and it will be a nice, relaxed ride occasionally. But the handlebar is a bit to narrow with the current bend, the brake levers are a bit too forward with Hutchinson rubber handlebar cover not allowing to move them up. So I can foresee making some upgrades in the future. Perhaps this is the frame I should put Suntour Sprint components on and use Vx ones on my commuting bike?
Old 03-21-24, 08:36 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 139 Posts
Victorious!

Old 03-21-24, 09:33 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
I got a frame back from powder coating and had some fun with a paint pen. Need to do some lining touch ups, chase & face the BB & headtube, and clean up the top of the seat cluster but it should be getting built up in the next week or so.

Unfortunately there was some residual anti-corrosion stuff inside the seatstays that vaporized in the curing oven and discolored the frame around the seatstay vents, but overall it's turning out exactly as I hoped it would. Maybe I can find a good way to touch it up.

Last edited by abshipp; 03-21-24 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 09:41 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Victorious!
That was fast! Especially seeing those rings of rust on that stem!
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-21-24, 09:41 AM
IdahoBrett 

Originally Posted by daverup
That was fast! Especially seeing those rings of rust on that stem!
Kroil it, don’t spoil it.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-21-24, 05:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I did actually use a wrench on the nut holding the volume control in. Picked this up today and found a bad solder joint. Now it sounds lovely!

FM3, new to me!
Dynaco for the win.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-22-24, 06:21 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I got a frame back from powder coating and had some fun with a paint pen. Need to do some lining touch ups, chase & face the BB & headtube, and clean up the top of the seat cluster but it should be getting built up in the next week or so.

Unfortunately there was some residual anti-corrosion stuff inside the seatstays that vaporized in the curing oven and discolored the frame around the seatstay vents, but overall it's turning out exactly as I hoped it would. Maybe I can find a good way to touch it up.
Gorgeous! Powder coat and your own additions look great.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-22-24, 01:48 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie

I'm in the process of de-blacking this new toy. The last type of steel Allez Comp from Specialized.
Very nice model from the late 1990's early2000's
Old 03-22-24, 02:17 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 966 Posts
Difficult to make time, enough though. Enough to clean and break free the stuck seatpost with a good snap. The seatpost has been cleaned of, and the seatube honed clear of rust. Saddle has been lowered to my stride, also pulled forwards a solid quarter inch. The ‘Status’ stem,110mm, has been lowered also 1/4”. So hear is the as purchase from the nonprofit lbs.

Wow, whom ever the previous some long legs, I probably lower the post 2”+, it was set at minimum insertion.

Here the Serotta is set up for 66.

One thing I find interesting is that the Atlanta uses a clamp adapter for braze on derailer.

The pedals are Specialized pista with MKS dust caps, these look a lot better than I thought they would.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-22-24, 02:53 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Rehabbing a 1981 Holdsworth Special. Here is what it looked like as purchased. I am replacing all components except the wheels. It will be a proper vintage road bike for my granddaughter when I am done with it. We will be able to ride our Holdsworth's together.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 03-22-24, 06:31 PM
VintageSteelEU

Not much time today, but decided to make a start on the Superator. Started with cleaning the inside of the seat tube. Initially with a wire brush bit on the drill at the top bit of it, then creating a make-shift tool using a plastic rod and said brush with a scouring pad wrapped around it. Somehow I ended up pushing about 2x2cm piece of solid gunk into the BB shell afterwards (no photos, it was gross). It's still not perfect, but for that I will need a wider brush and a longer rod. Predictably, with the make shift tool the length of about 40cm and with another piece taped to it to reach the bottom of the seat tube, I ended up loosing it inside. That wasn't fun, but thankfully, managed to get it out pretty quickly. Ideally, I'd like to round the seat tube and hone it, but I don't have tools suitable for that at the moment, so it will have to wait. I've put a generic 26.6mm seatpost in until I decide on the final one. I'd like to use SR to match the crankset, BB, stem and handlebar, but they are all either too short or too heavy. Most likely I will go with a slightly sanded down, cut shorter and polished Nitto S65 / Ritchey.

After cleaning inside the BB shell and the threads it was time for a layer of Red 'n' Tacky. Mostly because it's tacky, which makes installation of the BB cups with loose balls a breeze. Unfortunately, I've used almost whole tub over the past few years and I think it will be either time to buy another one or switch to Mobil XHP222. I have a feeling that Red 'N' Tacky might be a better choice for the British weather.
The BB itself is a combo. I used SR Royal (steel, not titanium version) spindle with French cups from a more common model (Custom?). I would definitely prefer adjustable cup to have normal pin holes as I don't have a tool to fit the groove they've put in it, but somehow managed to screw it in, all sits in nicely and spins like a dream. Still needs a bit of adjustment as there's a very minimal amount of play (barely perceptible), but that's something to do when I'm putting the crankset on. Crankset bolts are Sugino, because that's what I had and I didn't want to use modern ones. So a bit of mish-mash, but for now it will put the bicycle back on the road and the cups are new, so can't really complain. Maybe at some point I will find French threaded cups for Royal (where the adjustable cup has standard holes).

Derailleurs are going to be Suntour Superbe (first version) and I wanted to use Suntour Sprint ratcheting shifters. Unfortunately, the set I have is not perfect, ratcheting doesn't work too well. I'm hoping that flushing them well with paint thinner might help, but remains to be seen. Worst case scenario, I can always get a modern copy by Dia Compe or perhaps someday I'll find a set of Sprint levers in a better mechanical condition. Not too fussed about it though, they will still work.

The wheels have been built and I've been testing them on another bicycle. Rather happy with them so far. The next step will be locating my Stronglight P3 headset (the earlier, lighter version with 4-pin locknut). I swear I had it somewhere a couple weeks ago, now the question is: where on Earth did I put it? Then cleaning and polishing other components I didn't have time to overhaul yet (mostly handlebar and perhaps crankset) and hopefully sometime around Easter I will be able to see how this thing rides. And whether I managed to get it below 8kg For now I'm keeping the paint as is, but the plan is to repaint it in winter if I like the ride quality. Considering the frame has been built by Bernard Carre and the components are top of the line, I'm hoping I will like it. And if not, there's always the next frame I have coming and it can take all the components, except for the seatpost and the BB, so it will be relatively easy to switch.
Old 03-22-24, 07:27 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
1983 Ross Force One ready for final assembly. Everything coming together nicely so far.

Likes For cjefferds:
Old 03-22-24, 08:19 PM
IdahoBrett 

I was skeptical. I am now a believer. Even the cable adjuster now works. It made me wonder; how many gallons in a kiddie pool to submerge 27 X 1 1/4 steel wheels?

Scroll up for the before picture…

Last edited by IdahoBrett; 03-22-24 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-22-24, 08:24 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I can't live without Evaporust. lol
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-22-24, 09:36 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I was skeptical. I am now a believer. Even the cable adjuster now works. It made me wonder; how many gallons in a kiddie pool to submerge 27 X 1 1/4 steel wheels?

You can soak some paper towels and cover with plastic wrap.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-23-24, 02:43 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
1983 Ross Force One ready for final assembly. Everything coming together nicely so far.

Huh, well glad you got there and know full well that ROSS hold their own well enough but like you said.

Can't imagine parting out a Stumpy for just about anything else.
Old 03-23-24, 04:53 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts

One of the few products that lives up to the legend!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-23-24, 05:01 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
You can soak some paper towels and cover with plastic wrap.
I highly recommend this method. I've used evaporust on some Schwinn rims and if you immerse them, it will take a very long time to get it out. Your rims will ooze the stuff.
Sun CR-18 alloy rims are a nice replacement, much lighter and stop better too.
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-23-24, 05:16 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Trek 820 sport ready for a new home.

Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-23-24, 05:19 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Curb find that had a rough life. Nothing like JB weld to hold a snap ring in place. 🤣. Probably won't make money after I replace tires, chain, grips, and account for my time. Currently the parts are getting cycled through the ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited by Trav1s; 03-23-24 at 05:24 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-23-24, 07:39 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Huh, well glad you got there and know full well that ROSS hold their own well enough but like you said.

Can't imagine parting out a Stumpy for just about anything else.
In the cold light of day I’m having second thoughts and leaning toward rebuilding both bikes with their original components. I appreciate the subtle intervention!
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 03-23-24, 08:25 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Touching the paint chips on the trek 2300
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-23-24, 10:00 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
In the cold light of day I’m having second thoughts and leaning toward rebuilding both bikes with their original components. I appreciate the subtle intervention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.