Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork preload bolt doesn't move up/down

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 09:33 AM
oleg0031

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. So basically my problem is that I tried to tighten the bolt in my fork preload with an allen key and at some point it stopped moving down, so it just rotates but doesn't go up or down anymore. Did I messed up something and if so how can I fix it?
Old 07-15-22, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are we talking about the pre load bolt to set a threadless steerer tube properly in your headset?

If you've removed the slop in the headset bearings, It doesn't matter about the preload screw. Just tighten the pinch bolts on the stem and you should be good.
Old 07-15-22, 10:38 AM
oleg0031

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I have the Suntour NCX Lite fork. I am talking about the bolt that is under the regulator that can move from Lock to Open positions. Some time ago I lost this regulator and only the bolt left, so I had to adjust this bolt with an allen key. Sorry, but I can't describe it better and I am not allowed to post images before I made 10 posts. You can probably check images of the fork by yourself if you wish.
Old 07-15-22, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Oh... sorry, I'm a road bike snob. I have no idea what you need to do for that.

However you can upload pic's to the gallery here and just tell us they are there. Someone will look for them and post them for you in this thread. Or figure out how to make the URL where your pics are hosted not look like a URL. Usually just put spaces on either side of the period and maybe remove the https:// from it. Then just write it in the plain text of your reply without trying to use the linking tool or image tool.

You won't have the spam police called out to pick you up.
Old 07-15-22, 06:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.srsuntour.com/service/do...sion-fork/ncx/
Old 07-15-22, 07:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Spring compression (preload) bolts have only so much range of adjustment. It's very possible that yours has run out of travel. The often use of plastic molded parts further complicates the adjustment ease and durability. Andy