Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikemanforu closes shop

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikemanforu closes shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 05:48 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dparks
I try to catch the Saturday show while I am working on my bike projects. Bart (Bikemanforu) is still doing at least an hour show for now - not a lot of technical content though. I started watching a couple years ago and usually picked up some tips. I was watching and chatting last Saturday and Bart commented on three of my posts - kind of cool! Bart still says he will be launching a new channel about his oyster business he is starting with his friend Freddy. I will probably stop watching then.
He Is a personality for sure.
Old 01-22-18, 06:21 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I enjoy watching some of Bart's videos. We watched them over the last couple of years (whilst doing other things). Entertaining and reminded me of when I worked in a shop for a short time in the 80's.. They rented bikes too. They may not have had high end bicycles but I loved their slogan "one less car" at the end of the day the more people riding bike shop bikes the better in my eyes,, even if they are on the low end of the scale.
Old 01-28-18, 08:55 AM
dparks

Bikes: 1970 Gitane, 1989 Schwinn 564

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing new on yesterday's show regarding when the shop is closing. Bart did discuss acquiring some bay area where he will be permitted to raise oysters. I did learn a trick for making a custom sized box for shipping a fat bike!
Old 01-28-18, 03:36 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder as Bart often says he has been in the bike business for 40 years and Mr Pump (RIP) had the business before if he just burned out.. I'd have to think it would be very difficult to transition from running a bicycle sales and repair shop to starting an oyster farm profitably.. Good luck to him though

Bear
Old 01-29-18, 07:28 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I think cycling network (UK?) destroyed all of these small guys. My favorite has always been the guy who fixed bikes out of his garage. He got some great videos.
Old 01-29-18, 02:55 PM
dparks

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
R J The Bike Guy????
Old 01-29-18, 07:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I enjoy RJ the Bike Guy. It's reassuring to see someone else using adjustable wrenches and working barefoot. Shop hazards be damned! Pass the adjustable wrench and vise grips!
Old 01-29-18, 09:35 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by dparks
R J The Bike Guy????
Couldn't live without his tutorials.
Old 02-04-18, 10:07 PM
jay ray

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
He Is a personality for sure.

He reminds me of John Madden who was once a sportscaster for Monday Night Football and coach of the Raiders before that. Bikemanforu is a great communicator imo. Wish he had gotten rich and could stay with it.
Old 03-03-18, 07:58 PM
dparks

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Today's show has different. Bikemanforu store was empty of all bike parts and accessories- he liquidated everything in 1 week (on line store also shut down). He said they are leasing the building to another business on April 1st (non bike business). West Hampton Beach now has NO bike shop for the summer tourists. The new Oystermanforu stream will be starting soon. 2 weeks ago he told his viewers the he was a cancer survivor since 2014 - I don't think any of his viewers had any idea he had cancer. I guess I will just watch his old shows for now.
Old 03-04-18, 07:45 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Love the Bikeman and look forward to his new channel. I worked with bikeman designing his cycling jersey and had a great visit to his live show several years ago. Wishing Bart, TJ, Baby G, and SonofA the beast in there next chapter of life.
Old 03-04-18, 10:37 PM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Been an avid viewer of Bikemanforu and even appeared on his live show several years ago. I also helped design his cycling jersey's. He has quite a collection of video on you tube about fixing bike's that I'm sure are helpful for those looking to work on there own bike. His live shows could gets pretty interesting and you would meet some interesting people. Howie the puppet master will be missed.
ZIPP! I just found this thread. It's impossible to distill the Bikemanforu experience down to a few lines. Suffice it to say he was a character and very knowledgeable. Bike & Kite fell victim to the same issue facing many brick and mortar stores -- the supplier was in competition via Internet sales. My impression is that Bart didn't fancy trying to slug it out with suppliers in a seasonal town like Westhampton. Add to that he was looking to move on....the business was flat, his Dad was gone and he had a vision on what he wanted to do next.

Love him or hate him, Bikemanforu was entertaining. I posted 50+ images of my 1989 Specialized Allez rebuild on his Forum, and he was kind enough to give me some pointers. That experience got me back on a bike in earnest in late 2016. Five thousand + miles later I have a few bikes AND the confidence to tackle upgrades, maintenance and repair due in large part to the enthusiasm of Bikeman and his fans. I will be forever grateful.
Old 03-10-18, 12:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Dang I tuned in today for the first time in a while to see he is closing up shop, sad to see, lost a local LBS here in West Seattle this year too. I really enjoyed his stuff on fixing up old bikes learned a few things and was certainly entertained. I bought a few items and have a one less car shirt around here somewheres. Good luck with the Oysters Bikeman
Old 03-10-18, 05:04 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Dang I tuned in today for the first time in a while to see he is closing up shop, sad to see, lost a local LBS here in West Seattle this year too. I really enjoyed his stuff on fixing up old bikes learned a few things and was certainly entertained. I bought a few items and have a one less car shirt around here somewheres. Good luck with the Oysters Bikeman
yeah I watched today too. But I unsubscribed from his channel since his last 2 episodes (with him on vacation) were moot and I have no interest in oysters. He is a great guy, but not great enough outside the LBS context for me to watch.
Old 03-10-18, 06:16 PM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

BikeMan...has left the building. Thank you and good-night

End of a fun era. I wish Bart and his family well. I really enjoyed the live broadcasts, and many of his instructional videos were helpful.

The last shows reminded me of the times Captain Kangaroo used to change Treasure House sets as a lesson on how not to be sad with change. Seeing the empty store I couldn't help think of all the laughter, screaming, cursing, love and hard work that took place there.

I doubt we'll see the likes of that show again. Let's hope the old shows remain archived.
Old 03-15-18, 09:53 AM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

All gone.....

Bart quit his day job

Empty Bike & Kite Store.....

https://www.facebook.com/BikemanforU/videos/10156223685753767/ " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
https://www.facebook.com/BikemanforU/videos/10156223685753767/ " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 03-16-18, 06:59 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Sad to see the empty shop.

I'm no fan of oysters. I love eating fish but oysters, prawns etc I find really revolting. Eating something like that raw makes me feel quite ill just thinking about it. I've not subscribed to the new channel for obvious reasons.

Previously he mentioned downsizing the cycle operation and just repairing bikes in combination with the oyster fishing but sadly that didn't happen I assume looking at all the tools going including giving away the bike stand. Looks like he wants a clean break.

Last edited by Bonzo Banana; 03-18-18 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-18, 09:23 AM
SEAJAYBIKE

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Interesting! Seemed like he had nice shop though. Bikes to Oysters.........Not even going to waste the brain power to figure that out.
Fewer cheap people coming in to try to bring ancient, clapped out OYSTERS in for repair then complaining it costs money.
Old 03-18-18, 04:35 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Selling oysters is not without it's possible issues.

Widow warns of dangers of eating raw oysters after death | Daily Mail Online

If its anything like the UK food industry has a lot of bureaucracy and checks. Constant cleaning and high insurance costs.
Old 04-21-18, 08:27 PM
Bikerecycler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replied that same sentiment today on Bart's new Oyster Show.

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
yeah I watched today too. But I unsubscribed from his channel since his last 2 episodes (with him on vacation) were moot and I have no interest in oysters. He is a great guy, but not great enough outside the LBS context for me to watch.
Yep, I agree say no more. Stated the same thing today in his new Oyster Show.
Old 04-10-20, 12:43 PM
gjc2

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
His shop was in Westhampton Beach, New York probably about a mile from the very exclusive Dune Road. Assuming he owned the land & building its worth a lot of money, I would think more than the income from a seasonal bike shop could justify. He cashed out, I don’t blame him.

If you want check out Google Maps to see where he was located, the address is:
112 Potunk Lane Westhampton Beach, New York
Old 11-14-20, 04:35 AM
BUD WHITE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
his new youtube channel

you can find him on his channel Happy Oyster Company