Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mariner D8 Dead on Arrival?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Mariner D8 Dead on Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 08:38 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by stmalk
I see what you mean it gives some weird error in German, maybe just a website bug? I don't even know Sir. The physical address they provide there is Thor's address. I don't think it's a scam and it's definitely not Sager's website in any way. Remember Thor replied to me and even apologized for inconvenience. I also have official holo sticker on that bike and I was able to register it at dahon.com website.
I see your suspicion, but I think it is their actual official online store.
Well, considering it's all official, you shouldn't be paying return shipping on their transgression. I'd argue that point,...or contact Dahon directly. This is rediculous,...you did nothing to deserve this crap.
Old 08-16-18, 08:40 AM
stmalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Aha, we have a mystery!
This is the OP's website where it was purchased (note it is not secure, and isn't this Thor's business address?):
Dahon Bikes USA - Home
This is where you go from the Dahon world website and then select USA (note it is secure):
https://usa.dahon.com/
OP, I think you purchased from what you thought was the official Dahon USA website, but since the two websites are different, I dunno.
If you go to Dahon world website (second link) you provided and if you choose Dahon Mariner D8 and click "Buy" it will transfer you to the website I provided (first link in your post).
Sorry, but again, IT IS official Dahon USA store, there is no confusion here.
Old 08-16-18, 08:45 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
OMG, the secure Dahon world website is then taking you to a non-secure website with a shopping cart? For a direct online sales platform? I'm stunned.
Old 08-16-18, 08:51 AM
stmalk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
OMG, the secure Dahon world website is then taking you to a non-secure website with a shopping cart? For a direct online sales platform? I'm stunned.
It becomes https when I login to my account there. So it's probably secured at that level.
Old 08-16-18, 08:55 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Maybe so, but if I see a website that has a shopping cart and is not secured entirely, I'm a little bit leery. Like they don't want to spend the $ on the SSL certificate. I can understand this mentality for a small business where resources might be meager, but not for a major international company.
Old 08-16-18, 09:05 AM
termv

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Alright, I contacted the seller and they told me the bike was already sent/returned once, that's why it's damaged. I wonder why on Earth would they put it on sale again as a "new" one?
Needless to say I requested a return immediately. I think I would need to wait for refund and then order a different bike, maybe through ThorUSA directly so I could communicate with them to make sure they send me a new bike next time. I will still lose $70 on shipping FROM Dahon twice, as nobody covers that expense, unless Thor accomodates all of the incovenience I experienced.
Speak to the Credit Card company.

There was never ever an executed contract!
Old 08-16-18, 10:50 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by termv
Speak to the Credit Card company.

There was never ever an executed contract!
I agree. You were purchasing a new item, NOT A USED/RETURNED piece of garbage. This is unacceptable,...
Old 08-16-18, 11:30 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Yes, that is Thor's address, and I have received bikes from him that weren't well packed. The OP needs a new unscratched bike from Thor with all shipping covered.
Old 08-16-18, 01:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Shipper, Fed Ex/UPS/DHL etc contacted?

was this repacked by seller, or the original packing done @ Mr Hon's Factory in China.. ?
Old 08-16-18, 01:22 PM
stmalk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright, an update - the seller informed me that a bike will be replaced with a new one free of charge for me, including shipping. It looks like an unfortunate accident and hopefully it all will be resolved soon.
Old 08-16-18, 04:19 PM
termv

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unfortunate event, but avoidable.
Old 08-17-18, 12:04 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Alright, an update - the seller informed me that a bike will be replaced with a new one free of charge for me, including shipping. It looks like an unfortunate accident and hopefully it all will be resolved soon.
I would love to see pics of your new bike when it arrives. I'm hoping for the best!
Old 08-17-18, 04:10 PM
DahonAdmin

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there and sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately this time some second hand bike was shipped out to the consumer which of course should never happen. Sometimes bikes get returned to sellers for transport damage or other reasons. Happily this has been resolved and the seller has agreed to pay the return freight and send out a new bike which should arrive in perfect shape as usual. These returned bikes are sold under “garage” sale, or “special” sale from some sellers and offer a great way to save some money on an almost perfect bike, with small cosmetic problems which should be fully disclosed of course.

We want to confirm that DAHON USA only sells to dealers, no direct sales. Website sales are offered to authorized dealers to fulfill the order. If more than one dealer wants to fulfill the order the closest one to the buyer will get the order.

And also that all DAHON bikes are fully warrantied. Please don't hesitate to contact your original seller in any case like this, and if there is still some confusion, find our contact details on the website and get in touch. All the best!
Old 08-17-18, 04:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by DahonAdmin
Hi there and sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately this time some second hand bike was shipped out to the consumer which of course should never happen. Sometimes bikes get returned to sellers for transport damage or other reasons. Happily this has been resolved and the seller has agreed to pay the return freight and send out a new bike which should arrive in perfect shape as usual. These returned bikes are sold under “garage” sale, or “special” sale from some sellers and offer a great way to save some money on an almost perfect bike, with small cosmetic problems which should be fully disclosed of course.

We want to confirm that DAHON USA only sells to dealers, no direct sales. Website sales are offered to authorized dealers to fulfill the order. If more than one dealer wants to fulfill the order the closest one to the buyer will get the order.

And also that all DAHON bikes are fully warrantied. Please don't hesitate to contact your original seller in any case like this, and if there is still some confusion, find our contact details on the website and get in touch. All the best!
I just want to know if there's any way to get an old Dahon Curve XL. That bike was perfect for me,...small fold, 7 speed IGH, beautiful design.
Old 08-27-18, 08:25 AM
stmalk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To update this story - I received a new Dahon Mariner D8 this weekend.

This time it was actually a 2019 model, some parts even looked different. No scratches and everything finally worked. I took it to the LBS for adjustments before riding it, it was $70 more, but after all, I already waited for two weeks, so whatever.

I also replaced default seat with my Fizik Arione, put some Mr.Tuffy liners on those tubes and ordered Ergon GP3 grips as stock ones are very slippery.

I had a chance to test ride it all over NYC this weekend, Prospect Park, Rockaway beach, commute to Midtown etc, did around 40-50 miles in total. I should say it performs really well, it's also very fast, I don't go "slower" than regular bikes next to me. I plan to make 20 miles a day on it and I hope it doesn't fall apart in few months from all those nasty NYC bumps and pitholes you hit all the time.

Taking it to subway though is not ideal. It's not clear at all how to carry it. I don't know if holding by the seat is actually ok, putting so much pressure on a seatpost /seat bolt. I also wasn't sure if I can roll it around while folded, I would need to crouch in order to do that. So I kinda carried it swapping hands grabbing it here and there, which of course puts dirt and dust on my pants and is pretty exhausting - it's 30lbs hitting you leg all the time.

Rolling it around while holding on an extended seatpost doesn't work either, pedals/handlebas hit the ground, wheels are not evenly leveled, it's pain in the ass. I will probably avoid folding it as much as I can, only when I need to bring it inside and leave, not carry it around.

Last edited by stmalk; 08-27-18 at 07:31 PM.