Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano M525 Rear Hub Set-Up

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 12:34 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts

I just re-packed it, and it's binding tight when I tighten the locknut (I'm working from the drive-side. I think I have part #10 in this exploded diagram, Right Hand Seal Ring in the wrong position. One problem is that the diagram shows this part facing outward, and I am almost certain that it faced inward (with the seal toward the hub), when I took it out. Another thing is that the diagram does not show the two rings that go inside this seal, one metal ring with a rubber ring within. The rubber ring is different on both sides, and therefore, can be installed two different ways.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EV-FH-M525-A-3287.pdf (67.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-21-24, 12:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Generally seals of this type are installed lip side out so any outside pressure would tend to tighten the seal.

On that hub, they should be mirrored with the lips both facing away from the freehub body.

BTW, don't forget to apply a grease film to the back one to avoid dry friction.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-21-24, 01:01 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Some pictures of what you actually have would help. The diagram certainly has it right on what it is supposed to look like, including the orientation of the seal.

When you tighten the locknut, are you using one wrench on the locknut and another wrench on the cone at the same time? If not, only tightening the locknut will cause the whole hub to tighten up, and this is true for any cup and cone hub. Best practice with a freehub is to lock the driveside cone and locknut against each other, then do all of the adjustment on the non-driveside, as some freehub bodies will obscure the driveside wrench flats for the cone when properly adjusted.

Freehub seals can be difficult to get into proper position without mangling them. If you have ruined yours, the easiest fix would be to get a new freehub body that already has the seal installed, and to leave the seal in place when overhauling the hub in the future.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 02-21-24, 01:42 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I just re-packed it, and it's binding tight when I tighten the locknut (I'm working from the drive-side. I think I have part #10 in this exploded diagram, Right Hand Seal Ring in the wrong position. One problem is that the diagram shows this part facing outward, and I am almost certain that it faced inward (with the seal toward the hub), when I took it out. Another thing is that the diagram does not show the two rings that go inside this seal, one metal ring with a rubber ring within. The rubber ring is different on both sides, and therefore, can be installed two different ways.
You mention M525 but have the link to the M525-A, the 2 versions have different cone/cone seal setups.

The version # should be printed on the hub shell in the center of the barrel under the Shimano print.

With the M525-A, the part #10 should have the inner lip facing outwards. The cone/seal unit should interface with it in that position.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 02-21-24, 01:46 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by Arrowana
Best practice with a freehub is to lock the driveside cone and locknut against each other, then do all of the adjustment on the non-driveside, as some freehub bodies will obscure the driveside wrench flats for the cone when properly adjusted.
That did it, all right..! Thank you very much. I had thought that by adjusting the cone properly on the drive-side and setting it, I'd be all right. Non-drive side from now on! I'm not too familiar with working on cassette hubs.
Old 02-21-24, 01:49 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by KCT1986
You mention M525 but have the link to the M525-A, the 2 versions have different cone/cone seal setups.

The version # should be printed on the hub shell in the center of the barrel under the Shimano print.

With the M525-A, the part #10 should have the inner lip facing outwards. The cone/seal unit should interface with it in that position.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I got it squared-away. The seals were in the right position. I was just tightening the bearings/cones from the wrong side.
Old 02-21-24, 01:55 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Generally seals of this type are installed lip side out so any outside pressure would tend to tighten the seal.

On that hub, they should be mirrored with the lips both facing away from the freehub body.

BTW, don't forget to apply a grease film to the back one to avoid dry friction.
They are curious, because they are not sealed nor protected on their open side. Facing away from the freehub body, they meet up with the washer under the locknut, the metal back of the seal.resting against the cone. I don't see how this can be effective.
Old 02-21-24, 02:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
.. I don't see ho this can be effective.
You're expecting too much. They're not intended to totally prevent water entry. Just to improve resistance to dirt and water spray.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.