Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Raleigh Grand Prix tire size and fenders?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 03:54 PM
NOLAbianchiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all, I found what appears to be an all original Raleigh Grand Prix (with that really cool teal and purple color) for sale and I'm considering purchasing it to use primarily as my daily driver/commuter bike. I'm curious if anyone knows what the maximum size tire would fit on this frame? Also, wondering if I could squeeze some fenders in there? In a perfect world I could squeeze 32mm Gatorskins and some fenders in there. Thanks for any insight and if anyone has recommendations on fenders I'd also appreciate that as well.
Likes For NOLAbianchiman:
Old 02-22-24, 04:03 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Can't help on the clearance question (being an 86 I'm leaning towards less clearance but I really have no idea).

Typical go to brands for fenders are Velo Orange, SKS and Portland Design works. Honjo if you want to spend big bucks.
Old 02-22-24, 04:04 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I had one in 86. Passed up one in 2020/2021. Of course I regret not moving.

Sorry, don't recall the tire size.
Old 02-22-24, 04:06 PM
NOLAbianchiman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also, I know there is a whole forum dedicated to this but while we're here the seller is asking $325 which is more than I'd like to spend. What do you think is reasonable for this bike? I was thinking of offering $250 which is probably the max I want to spend right now considering I need to put fresh tires on there.
Old 02-22-24, 04:21 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
I went the 650B route on my '86 Grand Prix--38mm tires.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-22-24, 04:36 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLAbianchiman
Also, I know there is a whole forum dedicated to this but while we're here the seller is asking $325 which is more than I'd like to spend. What do you think is reasonable for this bike? I was thinking of offering $250 which is probably the max I want to spend right now considering I need to put fresh tires on there.
Real hard to say without seeing photos of the bike. That being said, $325 for a Grand Prix is pushing it even in totally refurbished condition.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-22-24, 04:46 PM
NOLAbianchiman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
nlerner

Very cool this is almost exactly of what I'm envisioning doing if I get this bike. Fatter tires and sweep back handlebars. How much clearance do you have at the chainstays with your setup? If 650b + 38mm fits do you think 700c + 32mm would?
Old 02-22-24, 07:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Looking at my 84 with 700 x 23 you might fit 32's in there. Could you borrow a wheel with 32 on it to try?
Old 02-22-24, 08:47 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
nlerner

Very cool this is almost exactly of what I'm envisioning doing if I get this bike. Fatter tires and sweep back handlebars. How much clearance do you have at the chainstays with your setup? If 650b + 38mm fits do you think 700c + 32mm would?
Typically if the bike came with 700c wheels it's going to be close for 32+fenders. When refurbishing old bikes, if they came with 27s I switch to 700c for fatter tires and fenders. If it is a very sporty 700c bike it's usually a good 650b conversion candidate.
Old 02-23-24, 10:07 AM
NOLAbianchiman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Perhaps I'll have to consider a 650b conversion but I don't have the money for that at the moment hence wanting to explore what size is possible with the existing 700c tires. I'm going to try and find a wheel to bring with me when I look at this in person. Unfortunately my '76 Bianchi Comp d'Italia was stolen recently so I don't have any extra wheels laying around.

As for pricing I agree $325 seems like a lot and I won't pay that much. Here are a couple of pictures if it helps anyone advise on value. It looks to be in great condition as far as I can tell from the pictures. Seller is the second owner and says it's been garage kept it's whole life. Based on the catalog I found for '86 and these photos it looks like it has the older style 105 derailleurs and shifters but a mish mash of dia-comp, suntour, and sr for everything else but it appears that all the components are original spec from what I can see in the photos.

*sorry I can't post any photos our URLs or anything unfortunately. Can anyone lift the restriction?
Old 02-23-24, 12:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
I just tried mine with 700 x 30mm wheels/tires: Very tight fit at the brake bridge and fork crown. I think you’re limited to 28mm tires without fenders.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-23-24, 12:42 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
You'd have to put a 700c tire on there to see if it clears both your 1.) chainstays/fork blades and 2.) is low-in-profile enough to clear your fenders. (I recommend Michelin, which I have found to run a little wide). This is what I use for fenders. They are cheap, light and good looking: https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...silver-567508/ Paul

Last edited by 1989Pre; 02-23-24 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-23-24, 12:45 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I just tried mine with 700 x 30mm wheels/tires: Very tight fit at the brake bridge and fork crown. I think you’re limited to 28mm tires without fenders.
I was going to say, I'd be highly surprised if any of the Raleigh USA road bikes fit much more than 28mm. Probably would have to go all the way down to 19, maybe 21mm for fender clearance.

NOLAbianchiman Given that you're in such a rainy area on fairly rough streets (assuming New Orleans), I'd shoot for a different commuter and only buy this Raleigh if you are looking for a nice vintage road bike for sunny days. You're going down the right track in terms of prioritizing full fenders and wide (+32mm) tires, you're going to need them out there.
Likes For Piff:
Old 02-27-24, 09:32 AM
NOLAbianchiman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you nlerner 1989Pre Piff and everyone else... all really great insight you've provided and is helping me with some clarity on what I'm really looking for. I went to go have a look the '86 Grand Prix and it unfortunately wasn't as clean as it looked in the photos online. That paint job is too cool so I was really hoping it was in better condition. There were some decent scratches and chips on the underside of the chainstays and bottom bracket with rust developing which could be restored but I think for the effort and the fact I'd have to talk this guy way down from his asking price—I'm going to be better off looking for something else. Also with the info you all have provided and some additional research I think I've really narrowed down my desire to go the classic road frame/geometry route and do a 650b conversion to get proper clearance for fat tires. I had 25mm tires on my '76 Bianchi and was able to do just fine on the awful streets of New Orleans but I think it's time for me to give my back more of a breath and go for 32-38mm. So I am now on the hunt for a super deal on a unique frame or full bike if I can hit the lottery. Thanks!
Old 02-27-24, 10:05 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Thank you nlerner 1989Pre Piff and everyone else... all really great insight you've provided and is helping me with some clarity on what I'm really looking for. I went to go have a look the '86 Grand Prix and it unfortunately wasn't as clean as it looked in the photos online. That paint job is too cool so I was really hoping it was in better condition. There were some decent scratches and chips on the underside of the chainstays and bottom bracket with rust developing which could be restored but I think for the effort and the fact I'd have to talk this guy way down from his asking price—I'm going to be better off looking for something else. Also with the info you all have provided and some additional research I think I've really narrowed down my desire to go the classic road frame/geometry route and do a 650b conversion to get proper clearance for fat tires. I had 25mm tires on my '76 Bianchi and was able to do just fine on the awful streets of New Orleans but I think it's time for me to give my back more of a breath and go for 32-38mm. So I am now on the hunt for a super deal on a unique frame or full bike if I can hit the lottery. Thanks!
38 is doable on most 700c bikes. Btw I rode all over New Orleans a couple of January's ago. Great time.