Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Questions about Gazelle Formula Race (Reynolds 525)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 01:59 PM
djou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have questions regrading the road bike frame gazelle formula race using 525 Reynolds tubing. I purchased a frame but I need to assemble it for a build. I need guidance from people with experience with this frame.

1) Headset: is what stack height/headset model are you using on your bikes with this frame ?
Originally I took a Tange Seiko ISO headset since I saw an online listing(*) stating a 26.4 crown race. I managed to fit the cups and cones on the headset but I could not fit the 26.4 mm cone into the fork crown and therefore I ended up bringing the fork to my LBS and they reduced the crown race down to 26.4 mm. Then, I realised that stack height of the headset is too short for the frame when trying to assemble everything, about 10 mm of visible threading...
Now, I measured the required headset stack height by subtracting the frame head tube length from the fork shaft length and I obtained around 40 mm.

2) Seatpost: What is the diameter of the seat post do you have installed on your bike frame ?

I tried 27.2 mm since it was listed in an listing (*) selling the same frame model. With the saddle mounted I managed to fit the 27.2 mm seat tube, but with a lot of force an squeezing. Is this normal?

3) Bottom Bracket: What length for a good chain line ?

I have "Shimano 600 tricolor" crankset and Dura Ace 7403 hub 8 speed HG rear wheels that I will mount on the frame. I looked online and opinions are divided between 113 and 116 mm a for bottom bracket length (in Shimano 600 tricolor velobase page)

(*) Sorry guys I cannot yet post links it is a website called velosaloon(dot)com