Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

GIOS Torino Shipping Container Inquiry

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 05:49 PM
Cissell

Bikes: Garozzo, Trek, Austro-Daimler, Gios, Pelizzoli, Cannondale, Colnago, Coppi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts

I am trying to get a feel if my old ‘80s, GIOS frameset shipping box (and the inner, GIOS embossed, styrofoam container) would be considered desirable to a collector, or GIOS aficionado . Both aspects are in great condition, with no cracks or damage to that inner double shell aspect.

If so, I may put it on the Vintage Sales listing.

Anyway, any input or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-24, 08:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Somebody somewhere will want it. You just have to find them, which likely means casting as wide a net as possible and being patient. I'd say this is an eBay sale. My sense is that this is far too specialized an item for Craig's List. Go ahead and list it in the C&V sales section, but I think your buyer is more likely to be found on the 'Bay.

Caveat: I know noting about marketing generally and less than nothing about the market for this kind of cycling paraphernalia, so my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.
Old 02-10-24, 09:14 PM
Cissell

Bikes: Garozzo, Trek, Austro-Daimler, Gios, Pelizzoli, Cannondale, Colnago, Coppi

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Somebody somewhere will want it. You just have to find them, which likely means casting as wide a net as possible and being patient. I'd say this is an eBay sale. My sense is that this is far too specialized an item for Craig's List. Go ahead and list it in the C&V sales section, but I think your buyer is more likely to be found on the 'Bay.

Caveat: I know noting about marketing generally and less than nothing about the market for this kind of cycling paraphernalia, so my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.
That was my thought as well. It is such a unique item, especially with the large, embossed logo.

It would obviously make an excellent shipping box for another frameset - GIOS or not. Super thick styrofoam walls, and it is really robust all around. They certainly don’t make ‘em like that anymore!
Likes For Cissell:
Old 02-10-24, 10:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Cissell
That was my thought as well. It is such a unique item, especially with the large, embossed logo.

It would obviously make an excellent shipping box for another frameset - GIOS or not. Super thick styrofoam walls, and it is really robust all around. They certainly don’t make ‘em like that anymore!
Do you still have the frame, any thoughts of parting with it too?
Old 02-11-24, 08:37 AM
Cissell

Originally Posted by merziac
Do you still have the frame, any thoughts of parting with it too?
The frameset is long gone.

I retained that box because it was just so nice and substantial, and seemed like something I may want to use again one day - like possibly sending this out and having another frameset shipped back to me in a more protective container than what’s typically offered.

The inner styrofoam shells real
y are impressive.
Likes For Cissell:
Old 02-11-24, 08:56 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Probably only valuable to someone who has the frame.
Old 02-11-24, 09:45 AM
Cissell

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Probably only valuable to someone who has the frame.
I agree mostly. The other value could also lie in what I suggested - a fantastic shipping box for a bespoke frameset, knowing that finished prize would arrive both intact and pristine.

My experience with these sort of situations has been frames or complete bikes coming in so-so boxes, typically dinged-up and making me fairly nervous to open, wondering what sort of hidden damage (if not wholly apparent) awaits.

The negative here would be should someone be truly interested in this container, shipping it out to said party would be kinda pricey in itself, as it is pretty large. Not fairly compact like those other boxes I referenced.

Therein lies the trade off…
Likes For Cissell:
Old 02-11-24, 06:22 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I recall these being somewhat size dependent.
‘I also laughed, the shop I worked for ordered a Gios for a customer. I looked it over and advised to send it back. The rear triangle was out 3mm and the dropouts and fork ends were out of whack.
was sent back, no questions asked and a replacement arrived and WAS in alignment.
Old 02-12-24, 08:18 AM
Cissell

Originally Posted by repechage
‘I also laughed, the shop I worked for ordered a Gios for a customer. I looked it over and advised to send it back. The rear triangle was out 3mm and the dropouts and fork ends were out of whack.
was sent back, no questions asked and a replacement arrived and WAS in alignment.
I hear ya, size-wise. My frame was a 61cm, so kinda large, but fit well.

There appears to be significant wiggle room to allow either a smallish frame, or a bigger one to neatly nest, without issues.
Old 02-12-24, 08:25 AM
kanawa 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
I am trying to get a feel if my old ‘80s, GIOS frameset shipping box (and the inner, GIOS embossed, styrofoam container) would be considered desirable to a collector, or GIOS aficionado . Both aspects are in great condition, with no cracks or damage to that inner double shell aspect.

photos??
Old 02-13-24, 12:17 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
This reminds of when I got my De Rosa (since traded for my beloved Cinelli). I took it to my go-to vintage-knowledgeable shop, run by a guy I knew from high school. (He has since retired after over 40 years in business - good for him, bad for me. Excellent mechanic, incredibly knowledgeable.) I had him check the alignment, chase the threads, face the BB - you know, make sure it was ready to build up. When I picked it up from him, he told that the alignment was "pretty good - for an Italian frame." He was smiling when he said it, but he wasn't joking.
Old 02-13-24, 08:24 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
30, plus? Years ago there was a bike shop on Union Street in SF, western end near Fremont? Anyway, pro oriented shop, lots of Italian frames and they were very proud of the granite frame table they had out on essentially the sales floor near the workstands. I looked at that and thought two things at once, good to be able to check and correct, bad that they Needed to correct. I do not recall the name of the shop, did not endure but retail space on Union street was dear.
Old 02-18-24, 07:41 PM
Cissell

The more I ruminate on this shipping container, the more I realize the cost of its actual shipping to an individual, would bring a pause to someone desiring it.

It really is fairly large, a goodly bit more than those semi-compact boxes that hold a frame, with the fork ticked neatly inside the main triangle. This two-halves foam container was designed to capture and protect the frame, the fork situated beside it, a GIOS cycling cap and jersey, and an (embossed) GIOS chainring.

Pretty cool, actually.

It seems a fairly hardcore GIOS fan would be the only real customer for this.

I guess I will sit on it awhile, then see where I stand, later…
Old 02-18-24, 07:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of this magnificent container.

Old 02-18-24, 08:03 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I'd like to see a picture of this magnificent container.
Old 02-18-24, 08:27 PM
kanawa 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts

Is this a troll. Why no photos
Old 02-18-24, 09:01 PM
Cissell

Originally Posted by kanawa
Is this a troll. Why no photos
Nope, non-troll.

I will get it out of my attic tomorrow, and do the photo shoot.
Old 02-19-24, 10:54 AM
Cissell

Here’s those container photos…

The outer box dimensions are: 39.5” width x 27.5” tall x 7.5” deep.

Likes For Cissell:
Old 02-19-24, 01:30 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
In the 80's I tried to get an undamaged Gios Record frameset three times. Even with that package every one came with chipped paint. I finally gave up and just kept the Grandis that I had at the time.

Italian paint - phhhhfffffttt !
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-19-24, 02:52 PM
Cissell

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
In the 80's I tried to get an undamaged Gios Record frameset three times. Even with that package every one came with chipped paint. I finally gave up and just kept the Grandis that I had at the time.

Italian paint - phhhhfffffttt !
I hear ya!

Fortunately, my frameset arrived in absolutely perfect condition. Direct from New York (via Torino, Italia, of course).

My biggest fears on ordering framesets over these few decades was ALWAYS the shipping aspect! Typically, the frame wasn’t wrapped and padded properly, and the box arrived with huge dings, if not outright holes, which made the big reveal awful. Usually, though, the frame appeared Ok, in spite of the attempted delivery sabatoge.

Frames such as this should always be, at least, double-boxed, as well as bubble-wrapping all tubing, itself. And, always insert a spacer in the rear dropouts!!

One order that particularly bummed me was a frameset ordered direct from Pelizzoli. It was one of their last of the Columbus SL tubeset line of road frames they were offering, at a fantastic price, with only stock sizing (non-custom) available. That was fine with me.

That frame box arrived all buggered-up, as described, and only minimal paper wrapping of the frame, proper. Open opening, overall it appeared fine, except a small dent in the upper area of the headtube. Not enough to interfere with the press-fit headset race, but still a ding, nonetheless.

They reimbursed the shipping fee and that was that. That dent bugs me to this day.

Anyway, I feel your frustration…

Last edited by Cissell; 02-19-24 at 06:00 PM.