Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to damage my toptube with my rack this way?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 02:32 PM
speedqing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My CAAD's aluminum toptube is pretty wide and has a large diameter compared to some bikes I've had before. I have a Thule trunk rack with pre-shaped brackets that hold the toptube. The bike's toptube fits in very snugly and I have to finagle it to get it to sit well. I was wondering because the walls on these tubes are so thin, if it was possible to dent or harm the tube in any way. Thanks.
Old 10-29-11, 02:42 PM
YpsiBiker
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is.
Old 10-29-11, 02:44 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Personally, I would shave/sand the brackets so that no 'finagling' was required.
Old 10-29-11, 02:55 PM
speedqing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Personally, I would shave/sand the brackets so that no 'finagling' was required.
It's a fairly new rack with the rubbery lining on the brackets that doesn't scratch the paint on the frame. Would it be OK to do that?
This is the rack I have. https://thule.com/en-US/US/Products/B...Gateway-2-Bike#
Old 10-29-11, 03:04 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wonder if you called Thule if they would have a redesigned piece suited for wider top tubes. You can't be the only person trying to solve this.
Old 10-29-11, 06:30 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If any amount of dirt gets on to the part of the rack that grabs your top tube, it will grind away at your paint. And yes, if you clamp down too tight, it can squish your top tube.
Old 10-29-11, 08:36 PM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
With a similar bike rack and similar bicycle I've used foam pipe insulation from the hardware or home improvement store to wrap the top tube before putting the bike on the car rack. The straps on the rack keep the bicycle snugly on the rack, and as long as the inside of the foam insulation is clean, then there's nothing to damage the finish of the bicycle. The insulation has a slit along the side so it can be easily put on and taken off.
Old 10-29-11, 10:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
If you have any spacers below your stem, consider a frame adapter. It was originally designed to carry full suspension mountain bikes, but it will definitely take all of the abuse instead of scratching or denting your beautiful frame.
Old 10-29-11, 10:52 PM
GoRovers

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any negative effect of using that frame adapter? It looks like a good solution, but the bike's entire weight seems to be carried on two small areas...seat post and stem...pulling both "upward."
Old 10-29-11, 11:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by GoRovers
Any negative effect of using that frame adapter? It looks like a good solution, but the bike's entire weight seems to be carried on two small areas...seat post and stem...pulling both "upward."
I can't use it on my road bike because I have no spacers under the stem (it just doesn't leave enough room to fit the rack in there), but it works great for my 30lb mountain bike. If the stem can't handle 30lb of upward force or the seatpost clamp is so loose that 30lb of force pulls it free, you had other problems to begin with.
Old 10-30-11, 06:42 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on the foam pipe insulation around the top tube. That's what I do, my Madone's been to Florida and back to Indiana 3 times this way. No marks on the frame or other issues at all.
Old 10-30-11, 07:05 PM
speedqing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
+1 on the foam pipe insulation around the top tube. That's what I do, my Madone's been to Florida and back to Indiana 3 times this way. No marks on the frame or other issues at all.
Yeah only one tiny spacer under my handlebars, not sure if the adapter will work.
Also I can't put foam pipe insulation around the tube because it is already too tight of a fit...
Old 10-30-11, 08:19 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedqing
Yeah only one tiny spacer under my handlebars, not sure if the adapter will work.
Also I can't put foam pipe insulation around the tube because it is already too tight of a fit...
The bike just sets above the racks then I bungee it down.
Old 10-31-11, 08:50 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a CAAD 10 and a rack designed for circular frame tubes. Not exactly an answer to your question, but something I do to protect the paint on my frame when I put it on the rack.

On my rack, the plastic fasteners that clip and lock around the top tube are thin and flexible enough to route under the rear brake cable. By not clamping the fastener on the outside of the brake cable I prevent the cable from being pressed onto the frame and possibly wearing the paint off.