Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A motorist regrets blocking the bike lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A motorist regrets blocking the bike lane

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:46 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
"The traffic is grueling, made worse by all the people trying to stop to let someone out, to pick someone up or to deliver something right in the middle of the street."

"I pulled over — into a bike lane — so I wouldn’t block traffic on Q Street NW. The other parent took a really long time to pull out, longer than I expected him to take. But the longer I waited, the more I needed to see it through. The cars and bikers coming up behind me, seeing my signal, pulled around me."

"But not every violation is a hazard. We live in a city where things can’t always be orderly. Better to focus on the violators who are making the roads more dangerous."

"Still, if we’re going to cite everyone who double-parks for a couple of minutes (with her signal on, to warn everyone behind her), no one will ever get a delivery again. Or be able to drop off a child at a downtown school."

The only school on Q Street NW that is near Dupont Circle is on this block.

IN OTHER WORDS:

If you double park on the LEFT side of the street to wait for a parking spot to open, you are a hazard to "traffic." GET OUT OF MY WAY!

But if I double park on the RIGHT side of the street to wait for a parking spot to open, that's all right then. GO AROUND ME!

Helpful hint. Instead of taking Dupont Circle consider taking Scott Circle. There's a convenient bus stop to park in right at the corner on 16th St NW. After all parking in a bus stop is even LESS DANGEROUS.

BTW, the "peloton" in Dupont Circle.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-15-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 07:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Ahhhhh...the beauty of not living in a big city.

I don't encounter this silliness.
Old 08-15-18, 08:06 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
"The traffic is grueling, made worse by all the people trying to stop to let someone out, to pick someone up or to deliver something right in the middle of the street."

"I pulled over — into a bike lane — so I wouldn’t block traffic on Q Street NW. The other parent took a really long time to pull out, longer than I expected him to take. But the longer I waited, the more I needed to see it through. The cars and bikers coming up behind me, seeing my signal, pulled around me."

"But not every violation is a hazard. We live in a city where things can’t always be orderly. Better to focus on the violators who are making the roads more dangerous."

"Still, if we’re going to cite everyone who double-parks for a couple of minutes (with her signal on, to warn everyone behind her), no one will ever get a delivery again. Or be able to drop off a child at a downtown school."

The only school on Q Street NW that is near Dupont Circle is on this block.

IN OTHER WORDS:

If you double park on the LEFT side of the street to wait for a parking spot to open, you are a hazard to "traffic." GET OUT OF MY WAY!

But if I double park on the RIGHT side of the street to wait for a parking spot to open, that's all right then. GO AROUND ME!

Helpful hint. Instead of taking Dupont Circle consider taking Scott Circle. There's a convenient bus stop to park in right at the corner on 16th St NW. After all parking in a bus stop is even LESS DANGEROUS.

BTW, the "peloton" in Dupont Circle.

-mr. bill
If its a school there's usually a place to do this so you can stop to let someone in or out. But if there's a sign that says no stopping or standing anytime, or no drop off/pick-up then you deserve that ticket and I hope its a big one.

Old 08-15-18, 08:09 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No everyone has the right to enjoy the recreational road just pull out a pinic table and pop a squat . make sure to shake your fist at those pesky car road racers !!!
Old 08-15-18, 08:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Is this also such a big deal that it rates a confrontation from other motorists, or cyclists? Or do we expect to shrug such things off and either wait for the driver to move, or simply drive around when safe to do so?
A quick review of A&S posts indicates that some would-be McGruff Police Dogs can't pass up an opportunity to confront and "scold" motorists and cyclists alike for any and all "such things" that offend their delicate sensibilities of correctness. Everything seems to be a big [darn] deal that rates a confrontation.
Old 08-15-18, 08:24 AM
mr_bill

Do you write letters to the editor complaining about "scolds?"

One person made a meal of it. The other made a mountain of it.

-mr. bill
Old 08-15-18, 08:45 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by KraneXL
If its a school there's usually a place to do this so you can stop to let someone in or out. But if there's a sign that says no stopping or standing anytime, or no drop off/pick-up then you deserve that ticket and I hope its a big one.
There are several 15 minute parking spots available for pickup/dropoff.
Chances anyone gets a parking ticket for parking over the 15 minute limit?
Chances that the letter writer would complain if they got a parking ticket for parking over the 15 minute limit?
Chances that any additional two-hour parking spaces will EVER be converted to 15 minute parking?

-mr. bill
Old 08-15-18, 09:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Ahhhhh...the beauty of not living in a big city.

I don't encounter this silliness.
Yes, the worst I have to worry about is a deer crossing the road in front of me.
Old 08-15-18, 10:16 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Do you write letters to the editor complaining about "scolds?"

One person made a meal of it. The other made a mountain of it.

-mr. bill
This is the biggest fault of the motorist in all of this... whinging about getting whinged at. It's like meta-whinging

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, the worst I have to worry about is a deer crossing the road in front of me.
I dunno... in my experience, city drivers used to cyclists in their midst tend to be better around cyclists than suburban, semi-rural, or rural drivers with less experience sharing traffic with cyclists.
Old 08-15-18, 03:15 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by mconlonx
This is the biggest fault of the motorist in all of this... whinging about getting whinged at. It's like meta-whinging,
The two biggest faults are she was wrong, the meta-whinging, and the hypocrisy.
The THREE biggest faults....

-mr. bill
Old 08-16-18, 12:26 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
A guy commuting to his job at JPL through that little bit of the Angeles National Forest hit a deer and died from the impact.

Deer are the large non-human animal that causes the most deaths - from collisions with cars. If we brought back wolves and lions we'd probably decrease human mortality.
Old 08-17-18, 10:42 AM
mr_bill

Bottom line, there's amateur whinging, and there's professional whinging. He's professional whinging at the amateur whinging whingee.

Eben Weiss (Bike Snob NYC) [NSFW warning, for Eben is known for using words, bad words, that may be four lettered, or even worse] weighs in at Outside.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-17-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 01:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
If we brought back wolves and lions we'd probably decrease human mortality.
Except then instead of threads about pepper spraying dogs, we'd have threads about pepper spraying wolves and lions.
Old 08-17-18, 04:23 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Except then instead of threads about pepper spraying dogs, we'd have threads about pepper spraying wolves and lions.
I didn't say that that would put an end to whinging, just decrease mortality. I encountered a lion once. It looked at me and didn't find me interesting. I haven't met a wolf yet.
Old 08-17-18, 08:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I didn't say that that would put an end to whinging, just decrease mortality. I encountered a lion once. It looked at me and didn't find me interesting. I haven't met a wolf yet.
Be grateful you're not on his food list. If I recall they avoid human contact and will run away unless cornered.
Old 08-17-18, 08:52 PM
mr_bill

In the US, how many people in cars are killed by deer every year?

In the US, how many people on bikes are killed by deer every year?

In the US, how many people on bikes are killed by people in cars every year?

Never mind, continue on the tangent.

-mr. bill
Old 08-17-18, 09:26 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
The overwhelming majority of times I support motorists with very few exceptions. If they blatantly and deliberately disregard the cyclist and place them in mortal danger is one. In this case, with this driver in D.C., I wouldn't have said a word. She didn't get up that morning with the intent of blocking a bike lane for a few moments. I've only had one occasion where a driver deliberately tried to run me down - a young punk driving an old Trans Am. I had a witness in a pickup truck who tore after the guy. If I had a .45 at that point, I swear I would've pulled it and taken out his rear windshield.
Old 08-20-18, 10:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Be grateful you're not on his food list. If I recall they avoid human contact and will run away unless cornered.

When I lived in Silicon Valley many years ago, a mountain lion killed a jogger in the foothills. Not clear why it happened, but the area was not one in which the lion would have felt cornered by a lone runner. I suspect running makes a person look like prey.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-20-18 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-18, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have been blocked when cops have pulled over drivers into the bike lanes. I chose not to say anything.
Old 08-20-18, 04:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have been blocked when cops have pulled over drivers into the bike lanes. I chose not to say anything.
You could ask the police to ticket the car for parking in the bike lane.
Old 08-21-18, 07:01 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I remember that some years ago that the most dangerous person for children getting dropped off at school was parents of other kids dropping their kids off at the same school. Something about people pulling in and out of traffic and being distracted.
Old 08-28-18, 07:28 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Most of the illegally parked cars that I see are Police Cars.
Yep!
Old 09-09-18, 08:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It only pisses me off when Amazon Fedex or UPS park in the bike lane and there is curb parking immediately on their right!!! They are too lazy to back in so they just stop and park in the bike lane. Other drivers do it as well, but those 3 are consistent where I live. Maybe they are judged on how quickly they finish their routes or something so don't want to take the time to actually pull to the curb - if that's the case, I blame the companies that set those restrictions. Either way, it is dangerous and completely unnecessary. I get it if a moving van is in the lane because there's no parking; inconvenient but understandable; same for delivery services. But if there's space at the curb, gd.it., use it. Although my favorite was the guy parked in the bike lane outside the supermarket, eating his lunch in his personal vehicle. Geezus!