Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 02:19 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gees BluesDog sounds like normal Maine going [KIDDING] I really injoyed along the St. Mary's River in Georga and hope to again ID recomend it to anyone headed for Florida./Kenneth
Old 08-10-09, 02:33 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I rode the trailer and dog with the new towbike [IM not sure if i said the trailer is a Rhodes Gear trailer]The NEXT doesnt set as good as the TREK but I like the lower gear range of the NEXT very much./Kenneth
Old 08-10-09, 06:03 PM
PrairieDog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 25 miler today in windy conditions. My new Ruby fits like a dream, though. Each time I ride it, I like it better and better. I can only wonder why I waited so long to get it.
Old 08-10-09, 06:14 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain and clouds made for a nice day of riding to work and back. 18.9 miles. I stayed dry both ways.
Old 08-11-09, 09:27 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Did my usual 27+ mile Tuesday loop. Rode 4 miles to church, had coffee with the guys, and then continued on solo for another 23 mi. Lovely day for a ride.

See it at: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1538
Old 08-11-09, 09:44 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was still tired from Saturday's 200k when I got home from work yesterday, so I settled for a very easy pace 25 mile ride in the neighborhood.
Old 08-11-09, 10:52 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesday 8/11/09... Good ride today, 40.06 smiles. Got home and treated myself to another super big bowl of Publix Premium Strawberry Ice Cream YUM...YUM

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 40.06 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 234.71 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3,981.22 (s)miles

It doesn't get any better than this!!!

Old 08-11-09, 10:55 AM
feymanfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode today (normally 3 per week), 10+10 miles and hot/humid in cincinnati. Trip home may be wet, but I'll be soaked anyway. Will be 57 in a few weeks and not ready to trade the fixed gear for more gears quite yet. It's nice not thinking about gears, just pedal fast going downhill, stand up going up, and rest on the flats.
Old 08-11-09, 11:26 AM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42 miles this morning and looks like I am on track to do another 150+ miles again this week.
Old 08-11-09, 11:44 AM
Willbrewer
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not today yet, but yesterday, rode two rides. One to the LBS, about 4 miles, after driving there earlier and checking out the new bikes. I'm thinking about getting a bike suitable for touring. I talked with the owner about my bike-fit problems (I'm 6' with 30" inseam-short legs,long torso). He put a new Trek 58 cm road bike (entry level) on the trainer and set it up for me, just to get an idea of how to fit me on a bike.

Come to find out I've been riding with my saddle too high, with the front tipped down. After testing the new bike, he set up my current bike, no charge. I asked him if they had presta/shrader adapters that I could use to check tire pressures with a standard tire gauge, and he handed me one and said "Here, just stick it in your pocket". I'm definitely a satisfied customer of the shop. It deserves a plug: Harley's Bicycles, Hutchinson, KS.

Second ride, I rode 10 miles on my newly adjusted bike. I tweaked it a little, raising the seat a bit to keep my knees from having to rise so far. It was still about an inch lower than before, so it was a pretty big change. I rode the 10 miles very gently, just to get my legs broken in to the new setup without injury. After my ride, my left hip hurt some (that's my new, artificial one), but today it feels fine.

I actually believe it will be better for me once I get used to the new positioning. I feel more secure on the saddle now, and over time my legs should have better range motion. But I will take it very easy for the next week or two, just to make sure the change doesn't cause some other physical problem to crop up.

I'm going to drop my mtb seat a little now and give it a try. I know it's too high and forward-tipped too.
Old 08-11-09, 01:14 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got out for a weekday ride. Been to darn hot to go and now the weather is warming up again. Only did a 23 mile ride and started out at 8am to beat some of the heat. By the time I was almost home, my computer read 91 degrees and it was only 10 am. Really enjoyed myself though.
Old 08-11-09, 02:49 PM
Kragg
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too hot for me yesterday (105 heat index!!), trying again today.
Old 08-11-09, 06:35 PM
eshvanu
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 1 hr 45 minutes, walked to dentist and back, rode about 25 minutes to endodontist, then rode home before the novocaine wore off. Fortunately, nothing to do tonight or tomorrow other than sleep, eat, and then maybe take a nap.
Old 08-11-09, 07:00 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot here too ( high 90's)but rode 29 miles. I really need to do something about sweat in my eyes, or on my glasses. Halo sweatband seems to delay the wet but man I hate stopping and wiping glasses off with paper towel.
Old 08-11-09, 09:09 PM
Willbrewer
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Hot here too ( high 90's)but rode 29 miles. I really need to do something about sweat in my eyes, or on my glasses. Halo sweatband seems to delay the wet but man I hate stopping and wiping glasses off with paper towel.
I just bought a Halo band yesterday, and tried it out today for the first time. I rode 33 miles, and sweat quite a bit (temp was up over 90 again). I didn't have any sweat roll into my eyes, which was great. Usually I'm pulling off my glasses and mopping my face every 5 or 10 minutes, so the band is a definite improvement. Only problem is it kind of gets in the way of my glasses.

I took it easy on my ride, only going a little over 10mph average. I was on my mtb, and adjusted the seat down to where it should be. My legs and knees aren't used to the new positioning, so I just cruized along in a lower gear than normal.

Cool thing I saw near the end of the ride was a flock of wild turkeys next to the trail. There were about 20 young uns, and 3 hens watching over them. I passed within 30 feet of them, and they barely flinched. Lots of turkeys around here, and they seem to be getting tamer all the time, kind of the way Canada geese have become in places. Good thing is they are both good eating. I'll say no more.
Old 08-11-09, 09:55 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the Westlake Training Race tonight with 45 other guys. Average speed for the 36 mile race on a flat 6 turn 2.2 mile circuit was 27.2 mph. My max sprint speed was 36.9mph which is a season PR. Crazy race today, no breaks got away and the group just hammered the whole race. Most days once the break gets away the pace drops off into the mid 25's.
Old 08-12-09, 06:20 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbrewer
I just bought a Halo band yesterday, and tried it out today for the first time. I rode 33 miles, and sweat quite a bit (temp was up over 90 again). I didn't have any sweat roll into my eyes, which was great. Usually I'm pulling off my glasses and mopping my face every 5 or 10 minutes, so the band is a definite improvement. Only problem is it kind of gets in the way of my glasses.

Cool thing I saw near the end of the ride was a flock of wild turkeys next to the trail. There were about 20 young uns, and 3 hens watching over them. I passed within 30 feet of them, and they barely flinched. Lots of turkeys around here, and they seem to be getting tamer all the time, kind of the way Canada geese have become in places. Good thing is they are both good eating. I'll say no more.
Hey Will, I purchased a Halo band as well a few weeks ago and find it to be very effective. I think I paid about $12 for mine at the LBS which is pretty pricey IMHO.
I am starting to see turkeys here in central FL as well. I have lived here in Altamonte for about 15 years and has just been during the last year that they have appeared.
Old 08-12-09, 10:13 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
AH pRARIE Dog I take it this Ruby is some sort of a bicycle/Kenneth
Old 08-12-09, 10:31 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well my ride ,like prairieDog's was getting use to the new towbike and im likeing it better all the time ./One of the dog's at one of the kennels we pass on our route saw Zoe [my dog] in the trailer and barked she barked back that kennel went biserk.Idont know if ever I heard such a din of barking./Kenneth
Old 08-12-09, 10:55 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thirty miles on our Winters Loop; 7 with the team, 23 solo miles after they shelled me. Once they get to about 24 mph I can't hang on, and I'm tired of not being able to stay up with them. Giving some serious thought to not racing next year. Meh.
Old 08-12-09, 11:34 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday 8/12/09... Got up early to go today and the mind said go but the body said I don't want to. Fixed myself a cup of coffee went out on the patio to drink it and fell asleep in the chair. Coffee got cold and I did not get started until 9:00 am. The temp had a feels like 88 degrees and the humidity was 83%. When I got back the temp was 92 degrees and felt like 102 and all of the ice cream is gone

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 29.42 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 264.13 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 4,010.64 (s)miles

It doesn't get any better than this!!!

Old 08-12-09, 11:39 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Greetings to you Red Rider A question;are there race groups that wouldnt go that fast?another thought maybe race once a month and start looking for another bike venhue; what about trail raceing you would have the conditioning for it.///I wouldnt ride another day If I didnt enjoy it.GOOD LUCK TO YA/Kenneth
Old 08-12-09, 11:45 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ha ha Slow Poke sounds a normal single track mind day to me/Kenneth
Old 08-12-09, 12:25 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice morning ride with temp in the low 60's when I started. Did 41 miles although I was a bit slow today averaging only 11MPH on bike path and side streets. The weather for the next few days will be the same as today so I might go riding for the next 3 days.
Old 08-12-09, 12:31 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kr32, I wear the sweatband bandanas from headsweats. Check out their website, their products are super terrific IMO.

www.headsweats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.