Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Getting back into riding, best place to buy up a frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 08:10 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long story short, about 9 years ago I was into riding all the time, so I decided to customize my own bike from the frame up. The frame I chose was an AL Nashbar touring bike frame. Picked it up for $100 on sale. Built it the exact way I wanted it, rode it for a year, then ran into a financial situation and sold everything I owned including my bike collection. It was a very sad deal that I regret still to this day.

Now times are much better, I’ve got a family, and I would like to get back into riding. I figured I’d just buy the same frame again and repeat the process, but Nashbar no longer carries that frame! I’d prefer to go with steel anyway, so I’ve been scouring eBay/CL for an older steel hybrid type bike I could build, but that type of bike is scarce in my area.

So I figured I’d just find a different frame. So far the best option I’ve found is a Surly LHT frame from Universal Cycles for $470. That’s a little higher than I was wanting to spend on a frame/fork, but I know it’s good quality.

My question is, are there any better options out there on the market? I don’t want to do cross country touring, just weekend getaways. I want a bike with Canti/V Brakes, double eyelets for racks/fenders, clearance for 700cx35mm tires, and preferably CroMo tubing. I already have good rims, shimano groupset, brakes, etc that I traded for. I’m only lacking handlebars, saddle, and of course a frame/fork. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-08-18, 08:11 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to edit my signature Bikes are almost all gone now except my Spaceliner collection that I started a couple years ago.
Old 02-08-18, 08:55 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioflamingo
Long story short, about 9 years ago I was into riding all the time, so I decided to customize my own bike from the frame up. The frame I chose was an AL Nashbar touring bike frame. Picked it up for $100 on sale. Built it the exact way I wanted it, rode it for a year, then ran into a financial situation and sold everything I owned including my bike collection. It was a very sad deal that I regret still to this day.

Now times are much better, I’ve got a family, and I would like to get back into riding. I figured I’d just buy the same frame again and repeat the process, but Nashbar no longer carries that frame! I’d prefer to go with steel anyway, so I’ve been scouring eBay/CL for an older steel hybrid type bike I could build, but that type of bike is scarce in my area.

So I figured I’d just find a different frame. So far the best option I’ve found is a Surly LHT frame from Universal Cycles for $470. That’s a little higher than I was wanting to spend on a frame/fork, but I know it’s good quality.

My question is, are there any better options out there on the market? I don’t want to do cross country touring, just weekend getaways. I want a bike with Canti/V Brakes, double eyelets for racks/fenders, clearance for 700cx35mm tires, and preferably CroMo tubing. I already have good rims, shimano groupset, brakes, etc that I traded for. I’m only lacking handlebars, saddle, and of course a frame/fork. Any suggestions appreciated.
i am sure this is out of your price range but i had wanted the exact frame i was dreaming of for years. i bought a bob jackson world tour off the peg, hand made in england and painted to my spec. with shipping to my apmt in the states the frame was 860.00. expensive yes but i will have it forever. its light and responsive for a touring bike. like i said i know that probably isnt an option but it is what i did so i thought i would throw it out there.
Old 02-08-18, 09:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I know you have all that stuff, but this bike checks all your wants and is only $650 total. Its identical to the Fuji Touring bike too.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...2_602988_-1___

If the XL frame would fit you, this is only $300, but is disc brakes- https://www.evo.com/outlet/urban/tra...-frameset-fork

That nashbar touring bike is about the best deal going right now. You could slap your wheels on it and sell the original ones on CL to offset some of the cost.
Old 02-08-18, 09:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'd encourage you to keep your eyes open.

Also keep an eye open at the local thrift stores (may take a couple of stops). Quite a few thrifty MTBs. But, good rigid fork butted hybrids are a bit more rare, but do show up.

Two brands that have hit my radar are Jamis (Coda) and Novara (?).

I'm changing a lot on my current Jamis Coda build that I'm working on, but it was nice to get a solid hybrid frame and I'm even using the wheels.
Old 02-08-18, 09:29 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Look used, v brakes? Most everything is disc these days. Got a bike co op near you? Also really look at hub widths, they are all over the place these days. Guessing you have a 130/135mm rear width and 100 mm front? Some fronts are 110, rears can be 135, 142, 148, 150 for mt bike stuff.
Old 02-08-18, 09:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Some communities have a bike coop or a bike charity. Look to see if one exists in your community.

Velo Orange makes a couple models that you might consider too, but the cost might be higher.

How much weight do you plan to carry? If only a light weekend load, a lighter duty bike might work well too. I would not want to put a huge load on my VO Pass Hunter, but a pair of rear panniers with 15 or 20 pounds would work great. That is not a touring bike, no front rack mounts. Which is my point, you might not need a true touring bike.

If you have not noticed it yet, we are in a transition period of brake types, shifting from rim to disc brakes. For example, my VO Pass Hunter used to come with canti brake posts but now is a disc only type of frame. So a lot of frames that would have worked well for you are no longer sold new.
Old 02-08-18, 10:13 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some communities have a bike coop or a bike charity. Look to see if one exists in your community.

Velo Orange makes a couple models that you might consider too, but the cost might be higher.

How much weight do you plan to carry? If only a light weekend load, a lighter duty bike might work well too. I would not want to put a huge load on my VO Pass Hunter, but a pair of rear panniers with 15 or 20 pounds would work great. That is not a touring bike, no front rack mounts. Which is my point, you might not need a true touring bike.

If you have not noticed it yet, we are in a transition period of brake types, shifting from rim to disc brakes. For example, my VO Pass Hunter used to come with canti brake posts but now is a disc only type of frame. So a lot of frames that would have worked well for you are no longer sold new.

I live in a smaller farming town in the middle of Kansas, decent quality bicycles in general are hard to come by other than Wally World specials. Most of my previous collection came from quite a ways away. A bike Co-Op tried to get established awhile back but they didn’t last long.

I have noticed that disc brakes are much more prevelant now than when I was last messing with bikes. I suppose I could make the transition as well, but they’re a little bit intimidating to me since I’ve never worked on them. If I went that route I’d want to buy a bike already complete rather than have to source new components.
Old 02-08-18, 10:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have noticed that disc brakes are much more prevelant now than when I was last messing with bikes. I suppose I could make the transition as well, but they’re a little bit intimidating to me since I’ve never worked on them. If I went that route I’d want to buy a bike already complete rather than have to source new components.
You might be happiest continuing the search for a rim brake type of frame for a while. You might get lucky or you might have to give up.

I built up a bike last spring that uses a disc brake in back. Frame did not come with a fork but the fork for it (that used disc brakes) was sold separately. I instead chose to re-use a rim brake type fork that I already owned, it had nearly identical geometry.

My experience with a rim brake on front and disc on back is that disk brakes are not all that much better than rim brakes. Exception, in rain and wet, disc is much better. But, disc was much more expensive than quality rim brakes and the frames and forks have to be stronger (and heavier) to accommodate the torque of the disc brake.

Bikes Direct is a source of low cost bikes, some on this forum have bought their Windsor Tourist, but I have never seen a Windsor Tourist so I can't comment on it. It says they are sold out, I have no idea if more will come in later.
Save Up to 60% Off Touring Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Windsor Bikes - Tourist

They also have other models that you might be interested in. Check them out.
Old 02-08-18, 12:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Universal Cycles has the Surly Disc Trucker on closeout plus the 15% coupon for $366.
Old 02-08-18, 01:06 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I built up a Soma Saga (rim brake version) several years ago and really love it. I ordered it online from a store in Chicago and I think I paid a little of $400 for the frame and fork in 56cm size. At the time I also considered the LHT, the Velo Orange campeur and the Gunnar grand tour. For various reasons I ended up with the Soma and have ridden it on several 10 day length tours.
Old 02-08-18, 08:54 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I got a Trek hybrid for free from a friend who stopped riding. It has most of the features you note except for aluminum frame & (cheapo) suspension fork. I've only used it for town riding but seems like it would work for weekend rides. It's quite light & the susp fork is comfy. I'd think one could find these on CL in many areas since they're popular for casual riders.
Old 02-09-18, 07:57 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well just so I have something to ride for now I fixed up the Trek 750 I had laying around. The frame is one size too small, but better than nothing at this point. I’m looking at the Nashbar and a Surly at the moment. I’m really wanting to build my own from scratch, but $650 is a good deal for a complete bike. My LBS only sells Trek and Giant competition bikes, but there is another not so local bike store a couple hours from here who has LHT in stock. I’ve read they have long ctc top bars, so I’d for sure want to try one before I order a frame. In the mean time I’ll still be keeping my eyes out for older bikes here locally. I’m ready to get back into N+1 collecting!
Old 02-09-18, 10:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your Local Bike Shop? My LBS has a rotating collection of used bikes for sale .. last year a Woman ended her tour here ,
left bike on consignment for sale, and her bags, rather than ship them back .. across the USA.

Others sell it saying something like "I never want to See this Bike , Again!
Old 02-09-18, 10:54 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Your Local Bike Shop? My LBS has a rotating collection of used bikes for sale .. last year a Woman ended her tour here ,
left bike on consignment for sale, and her bags, rather than ship them back .. across the USA.

Others sell it saying something like "I never want to See this Bike , Again!
We have one LBS here that doesn’t like messing with used stuff unless it’s super high end late model stuff. There is another one that just opened I had forgotten about. Hopefully going to check them out tomorrow. I was told the owner takes good quality older bikes, adds modern components and resells them.
Old 02-15-18, 09:36 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I’m a vintage bike lover at heart so I stayed patient. Put an ad on the radio looking for a vintage road bike, got a call the next day with an old Fuji hanging in the garage. Went to look this morning. 1980s Fuji Touring Series IV. Beautiful condition, Suntour cyclone groupset, nitto stem/bars, new brake hoods, almost new Brooks professional saddle, all around great bike. $200 later it was in my truck headed home.
Old 02-15-18, 08:55 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
OMG, Score!! Congrats. That is a fantastic deal and a great bike.