Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My First Vintage Roadbike Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 10:46 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Picked this up last week. A vintage steel road bike by Finelli. I've never seen on of these Canadian bikes. This one was well taken care of and didn't require a whole lot of work. I've ordered new tires and tubes and I'm going to re-tape the bars and polish up the metal. Got it out on a little close to home run and it worked so well. Definitely feels like an old vintage bike but it's going to be a fun one to bomb around in a bit.

Old 04-09-23, 01:43 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
I love the name. One of your best investments you can make into your bike are some new tires. In fact, I would recommend notriding until you have done so. I bet that paint will sparkle once you've cleaned it up
Likes For Piff:
Old 04-09-23, 02:00 PM
Cdubs

Originally Posted by Piff
I love the name. One of your best investments you can make into your bike are some new tires. In fact, I would recommend notriding until you have done so. I bet that paint will sparkle once you've cleaned it up
Thanks for the tip. I was worried they wouldn't last on the short ride and didn't want to damage the bike so I'll wait until that tire and tube set arrives.
Old 04-09-23, 02:49 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
Drive side pics or it didn't happen......

Definitely get some good tires and tubes on it. It's also begging for some aluminum wheels and barcon shifters. Looks like a fun project, I'm diggin' the color.

Originally Posted by Cdubs
Picked this up last week. A vintage steel road bike by Finelli. I've never seen on of these Canadian bikes. This one was well taken care of and didn't require a whole lot of work. I've ordered new tires and tubes and I'm going to re-tape the bars and polish up the metal. Got it out on a little close to home run and it worked so well. Definitely feels like an old vintage bike but it's going to be a fun one to bomb around in a bit.

Old 04-09-23, 03:26 PM
Cdubs

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Drive side pics or it didn't happen......

Definitely get some good tires and tubes on it. It's also begging for some aluminum wheels and barcon shifters. Looks like a fun project, I'm diggin' the color.
I just started looking for some aluminum wheels but I wasn't sure what to go with. I'm pretty new to the road bike world what's the benefit of Barcon shifters? Here's a pic of the drive side.
Old 04-09-23, 07:47 PM
ntn007us

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
What size is that frame?
Likes For ntn007us:
Old 04-09-23, 07:52 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
I'm pretty new to the road bike world what's the benefit of Barcon shifters?
Probably more of an aesthetics thing than anythng else as barcons are considered "sportier" than stem shifters and were mainly found on a little higher level bikes, They don't require reaching as far from the handlebar as down tube shifters. Stem shifters were usually found on entry level bikes or more recreational type road bikes but if you mainly ride on the upper part of the bars like I do stem shifters are actually more convenient. I'd never ridden with them until about 4 years ago when I bought my '79 Soma Prestige, I'm now planning on using them on at least 3 upcoming builds.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-05-23 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 04-09-23, 08:04 PM
Cdubs

Originally Posted by ntn007us
What size is that frame?
Rough measurement was 60cm. It's a big one.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 04-09-23, 08:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
You never forget your first.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-04-23, 07:34 AM
Cdubs

Haven't done a whole lot to this bike so far but I've shined her up a bit, replaced the tires, new seat, tried out some new tape in the bars just for colour (I think I'll end up using yellow) and added a small bike trunk. This bike has ended up being my main commuter since I have such nice paved trails to take to work. This winter I will do more of the cosmetic and polish when I take some things apart for maintenance.

Old 08-04-23, 07:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'm pretty new to the road bike world what's the benefit of Barcon shifters?
They were more than just an "aesthetic" thing. They were common on touring bikes. The main benefit was that you didn't need to take your hands off the bars to shift gears.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-04-23, 07:44 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
What a coincidence, my first vintage project was also a Finelli. Except in my case change the "F" to a "C" . Either way, a fun hobby to do.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-04-23, 08:09 AM
Cdubs

Thanks. I do really like it's originality it always gets comments from other riders on it. At least from any vintage fans. Luckily my commute is pretty straight forward with only a couple kilometers of climb at about 3.9%. The bike was well maintained over it's life so I plan to keep her rolling.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 08-04-23, 08:10 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Personally, I'd advise you to sell it and get a properly sized bike.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-04-23, 10:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Personally, I'd advise you to sell it and get a properly sized bike.
That's why I gave my otherwise-beloved 1980 Peugeot PKN-10 to my elder son. I was simply one size too pituitary-challenged for it. I would rather ride a frame that is a bit too small than one that is a bit too large.

I second the recommendation for barcons, which I have on my slightly too small for me Peugeot UO-8, and which I have ready for my Carlton rebuild.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-04-23, 11:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
How I remember my first vintage bike, a seventies something Sekine which I nick-named "Big Green"...

What did "Big Green" teach me..?

1. Make darn sure the bike is YOUR size, as suggested in post #15, assuming that the bike is too big or too small. "Big Green" was way too big for me but I did not know that back then...
2. Check the bike over, check everything, to ensure that the bike is road worthy and safe to ride. The transmission does not have to work. The purpose here is to see if the bike pulls to one side or the other when ridden, indicating a bent fork or bent frame or both...

I checked the Alan over carefully and, using a shorten chain and with no shifting opportunity, I took the bike out for a spin to see how it rode. By a spin, I mean a short test ride, not a fun ride, just enough time to ensure that the bike rides true.

3. If the paint and art is good, keep the original paint and art. This is a dollars and cents issue.
4. If this all checks out in the positive column, then you are good to go for a test ride. If not, think it over.

I commented on entry level bikes, and hope that no one here takes that as a negative comment. I have restored top of the line dogs from well and even not so well know stables. And I have had great times restoring and riding entry level steeds...

But something I have learned over the years, is that years and grease are not good bed fellows, as this mummified rodent can attest...

What I am trying to say is completely rebuild the bike if you hope to keep it. Failing to do so might result in the bike failing at what will, most likely, be an inopportune time.

As far as cost goes, to make an old road bike road worthy and safe to ride, figure on a couple of hundred dollars. Get a bit fancy (paint and art) and expect to spend a couple of hundred more, add chrome plating and go broke real fast.

This entry level Toapado was given to me for free. As pictured above, I have close to six hundred dollars (CND) invested in my entry level Italian bike (this is the same bike that appears above, the grey one I painted with my trusty 1" brush)...

and my next project is, you guessed it, an entry level bike...