Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter - brake ID

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifter - brake ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 08:40 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Shifter - brake ID

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to working on bikes and I am having trouble identifying these integrated shifter/brake mechanisms. I have them on two bikes. An old Raleigh Serengeti mountain bike and my commuter Raleigh Sentinel. The mountain bike has Shimano Tourney derailleurs and the Sentinal has Shimano Alivio. Both work so smooth and I am really enjoying them but looking to find service/maintenance info on them.
Old 05-26-23, 09:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Look for a part # on it. to the effect of EF-500 or similar.

​​​​​​https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/shiman...BoCFisQAvD_BwE
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-26-23, 09:47 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdubs
I am fairly new to working on bikes and I am having trouble identifying these integrated shifter/brake mechanisms.
Both work so smooth and I am really enjoying them
If someone can't find the mandatory part numbers stamped on all Shimano, it's only going to get harder and it is my suggestion is that they should continue enjoying them and leave all repairs to a LBS.

Whenever I get calls from my customers, it's a waste of my time teaching them where to look for whatever part numbers. They can't even take photos properly. They have to bring their whole bike in. Even if it's to fix an inner tube, because I have seen smart folks mess up a wheel removal too, imagine that.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-26-23, 09:57 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Yeah that's good advice. I usually don't attempt repairs on most of the finer working things. More of a curiosity as to how it works and if there is anything I should be doing to maintain them. I usually take my bikes in to a shop in late winter and get them checked over by a professional. I will do anything to avoid a predictable breakdown on the trail.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 05-26-23, 10:07 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I usually take my bikes in to a shop in late winter and get them checked over by a professional.
And keep doing exactly that.

Local Bike Shops like money and they work hard to make customers happy.
Old 05-26-23, 07:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
if the shifter or brake/shifter combo (brifter) isn't a counterfeit, in the case of an MTB/Flat bar, the model will be on the underside of the unit., on the main body casting.

in the case of a Road/Drop Bar brifter, it will be on the lower, inner side of the main body of the unit.... there's a very high probability that your bar tape will be wrapped over it... sigh.

And.. there is NOTHING wrong with wanting to learn how to do things for yourself.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-26-23 at 07:14 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-26-23, 08:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Find part # and you can look up the tech documents under "manuals and documents".

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...F500-7R4A.html

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/...EF500-3982.pdf
Likes For dedhed: