Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BC hollotech conversion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

BC hollotech conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 06:15 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BC hollotech conversion

Hello out of curiosity I contacted my bikes manufacturer and asked what size bb my bicycle has. They told me it was a 68mm x 119mm axle width. I also contacted shimano and asked if they had any hollotech bb that would fit my frame. They said yes they did have bb options for me. They did not have any crank options wide enough to replace my current 119mm axle width. So I come here looking for assistance in finding a crank wide enough to replace my 119mm axle in a hollotech conversion.
Old 08-18-22, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am so glad you gave us information on your bike it really helps us help you.

It is Hollowtech II and it is not cross compatible with square taper cranks. If you are looking to replace your crank you could potentially do that but nobody knows but you. You have to let us know what you have, what you are looking to do and as much information as you can that would help us help you.

This is the single speed and fixed gear sub-forum so one might assume you are looking for single speed or fixed gear stuff but to assume makes an ass out of u and me and I won't be made an ass. However if I were looking for a 24mm spindle fixed gear crank it would be a Sugino 75 DD2 crank or if I was saving money the Andel Deluxe crank.
Old 08-19-22, 04:28 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Great first interaction thank you. when I spoke to shimano they gave me three part numbers for their hollotech bb that would fit my 68mm wide bb housing. These are the part numbers they gave me BB-RS501 then SM-BBR60 and BB-R9100 all have 24mm inner diameters. The issue he told was that they did not offer a compatible crank wide enough to replace the length of the 119mm square taper crank width that I currently have.

What i currently have is the manufactures 119mm square taper bb with off brand 70mm 110bcd cranks with a origin8 34 tooth chainring to 30 tooth freewheel cog. On 700C 70mm aero wheels. Soon to be 26 inch wheels and nexus 3 speed hub. Not sure which cog I’ll start with probably 23 tooth. So it’s a single speed either or. My frame is a Electra super deluxe. Today I scored at the swap meet on some VENZO pedals that I had liked online. They came up in my searches for bare foot pedals. These use sealed bearings. I checked they do and I know that the rc hobby shop sell ceramic bearings such sizes so we’ll see about that later on.

What I’m trying to do is a hollotech crank conversion. The reason is “just bc I want to” and I assume in the future someone else might have the same idea and might come across this thread and find it helpful. If succeed or fail.

I put this thread in this topic category because idk I had to choose one. It was this one bike mechanics or the track bikes category.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am so glad you gave us information on your bike it really helps us help you.

It is Hollowtech II and it is not cross compatible with square taper cranks. If you are looking to replace your crank you could potentially do that but nobody knows but you. You have to let us know what you have, what you are looking to do and as much information as you can that would help us help you.

This is the single speed and fixed gear sub-forum so one might assume you are looking for single speed or fixed gear stuff but to assume makes an ass out of u and me and I won't be made an ass. However if I were looking for a 24mm spindle fixed gear crank it would be a Sugino 75 DD2 crank or if I was saving money the Andel Deluxe crank.

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 08-19-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Nofiltercycling
Great first interaction thank you. when I spoke to shimano they gave me three part numbers for their hollotech bb that would fit my 68mm wide bb housing. These are the part numbers they gave me BB-RS501 then SM-BBR60 and BB-R9100 all have 24mm inner diameters. The issue he told was that they did not offer a compatible crank wide enough to replace the length of the 119mm square taper crank width that I currently have.

What i currently have is the manufactures 119mm square taper bb with off brand 70mm 110bcd cranks with a origin8 34 tooth chainring to 30 tooth freewheel cog. On 700C 70mm aero wheels. Soon to be 26 inch wheels and nexus 3 speed hub. Not sure which cog I’ll start with probably 23 tooth. So it’s a single speed either or. My frame is a Electra super deluxe. Today I scored at the swap meet on some VENZO pedals that I had liked online. They came up in my searches for bare foot pedals. These use sealed bearings. I checked they do and I know that the rc hobby shop sell ceramic bearings such sizes so we’ll see about that later on.

What I’m trying to do is a hollotech crank conversion. The reason is “just bc I want to” and I assume in the future someone else might have the same idea and might come across this thread and find it helpful. If succeed or fail.

I put this thread in this topic category because idk I had to choose one. It was this one bike mechanics or the track bikes category.
Ok so you are getting closer you have listed your bike which is helpful that is what you really needed to do. The reason I said what I said was because you didn't provide information yet wanted some help. When you ask for help you should always provide as much info as you can otherwise why ask the question. Nobody knows what you have or what you are trying to do unless you tell us.

The Electra Super Deluxe is a 26" bike with a 3 speed so not sure where you would get 700c wheels on that but people do some odd things. IN the end it is not a high dollar bike and in the end square taper is fine for the application unless you are a super duper heavy rider and really rough on bikes or you need to remove your cranks often. I am not knocking external BB cranks at all but I don't really see a need on a bike like that and the cost could be put to better usage. However if you want to do it good luck finding a crank.
This would probably be the option I might consider if I was doing a single speed with a smaller BCD:
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...-s300-crankset

In terms of ceramic bearings I don't know what those will do for you? It is a good waste of money but I wouldn't go for it unless I was racing and had sponsors who gave me ceramic bearings. I would just get better pedals from a recognized name and that would be a good way to go.
Old 08-19-22, 09:06 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Ok so you are getting closer you have listed your bike which is helpful that is what you really needed to do. The reason I said what I said was because you didn't provide information yet wanted some help. When you ask for help you should always provide as much info as you can otherwise why ask the question. Nobody knows what you have or what you are trying to do unless you tell us.

The Electra Super Deluxe is a 26" bike with a 3 speed so not sure where you would get 700c wheels on that but people do some odd things. IN the end it is not a high dollar bike and in the end square taper is fine for the application unless you are a super duper heavy rider and really rough on bikes or you need to remove your cranks often. I am not knocking external BB cranks at all but I don't really see a need on a bike like that and the cost could be put to better usage. However if you want to do it good luck finding a crank.
This would probably be the option I might consider if I was doing a single speed with a smaller BCD

In terms of ceramic bearings I don't know what those will do for you? It is a good waste of money but I wouldn't go for it unless I was racing and had sponsors who gave me ceramic bearings. I would just get better pedals from a recognized name and that would be a good way to go.
yea those pedals are so so they only have one sealed bearings on the outer side. The inner side shaft rides on a metal cylinder race with grease. I put some tri flow lube on the sealed bearing and threw on the pair. I’m going to use them for a bit even though they are n out what I thought. I’m interested in what flat pedals feel like. I’ve been told that I am flat footed. Putting ceramic bearings in them is just me thinking out loud.
This whole idea is me just thinking out loud. I merely had the idea to use hollotech pieces randomly and thought I would what i unusually do for random ideas is go ask some questions. It cost me nothing.
thanks for the link. You gave me an idea to call sram and see what they say. I think I’m asking the wrong questions. It just came to me that maybe I might have success if I measure the length on my bb housing. They only gave me the axle width 119mm and the bb housing width 68mm. So instead of asking for a 119mm replacement for my square taper axle. I should ask for hollotech options that clear the length measurement of my bb house once I measure it myself.
Old 08-20-22, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

yea those pedals are so so they only have one sealed bearings on the outer side. The inner side shaft rides on a metal cylinder race with grease. I put some tri flow lube on the sealed bearing and threw on the pair. I’m going to use them for a bit even though they are n out what I thought. I’m interested in what flat pedals feel like. I’ve been told that I am flat footed. Putting ceramic bearings in them is just me thinking out loud.
This whole idea is me just thinking out loud. I merely had the idea to use hollotech pieces randomly and thought I would what i unusually do for random ideas is go ask some questions. It cost me nothing.
thanks for the link. You gave me an idea to call sram and see what they say. I think I’m asking the wrong questions. It just came to me that maybe I might have success if I measure the length on my bb housing. They only gave me the axle width 119mm and the bb housing width 68mm. So instead of asking for a 119mm replacement for my square taper axle. I should ask for hollotech options that clear the length measurement of my bb house once I measure it myself.
The British/ISO bottom bracket standard is 68mm so any proper 68mm bottom bracket and crank designed for that bottom bracket will work just fine. The late great Sheldon Brown had a wonderful article on BBs https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Not sure what you would call SRAM on but I guess you could. Essentially if you get a crank for a 68mm BB you would be generally fine but again what would you achieve on this? It is a lot of expense to get nothing bad but no real improvement over what you have for the bike you are putting it on. Just save your money towards a bike that is more practical for what you are looking to do. Plus GXP bottom brackets are generally terrible at least SRAM ones tend to be poorly regarded, it is a rather dumb standard 24/22 vs 24/24 on a HT2 and other similar cranks.

I don't know about specific pedals for flat feet but the right shoes and insoles are the more important thing but you possibly knew that and if not see a good podiatrist or someone who specializes in foot wear.
Old 08-21-22, 01:06 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

The British/ISO bottom bracket standard is 68mm so any proper 68mm bottom bracket and crank designed for that bottom bracket will work just fine.

Not sure what you would call SRAM on but I guess you could. Essentially if you get a crank for a 68mm BB you would be generally fine but again what would you achieve on this? It is a lot of expense to get nothing bad but no real improvement over what you have for the bike you are putting it on. Just save your money towards a bike that is more practical for what you are looking to do. Plus GXP bottom brackets are generally terrible at least SRAM ones tend to be poorly regarded, it is a rather dumb standard 24/22 vs 24/24 on a HT2 and other similar cranks.

I don't know about specific pedals for flat feet but the right shoes and insoles are the more important thing but you possibly knew that and if not see a good podiatrist or someone who specializes in foot wear.

it’s not about achieving anything. It’s much more about humoring myself. I’m rather successful at finding deals on second hand parts if u choose to. I’ve built around thirty bikes for myself. This bc is my last. It’s going to be wild. I took interest in barefoot peddles just recently because I like to ride my bike barefoot. Not because of my flat footed ness lol

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 08-21-22 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 10:03 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

it’s not about achieving anything. It’s much more about humoring myself. I’m rather successful at finding deals on second hand parts if u choose to. I’ve built around thirty bikes for myself. This bc is my last. It’s going to be wild. I took interest in barefoot peddles just recently because I like to ride my bike barefoot. Not because of my flat footed ness lol
Who is really building 30 bikes and this is the last? N+1

If I was building a wild beach cruiser I would have made a call to Curtis Inglis at Retrotec and had him build me a wild clunker (or Adam Sklar) and that would be a solid candidate for building something wild because it is a custom bike deserving of great parts. An Electra is nothing terrible but throwing money at it not for comfort or fit or there is an issue is a little odd.

As far as riding barefoot you do you but I would not want to ride barefoot anywhere unless it was for a short under 2 mile ride or something at a beach or very clean area but anywhere else I want good foot support so I can put a little power down and not have foot pain.
Old 08-22-22, 01:34 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Who is really building 30 bikes and this is the last? N+1

If I was building a wild beach cruiser I would have made a call to Curtis Inglis at Retrotec and had him build me a wild clunker (or Adam Sklar) and that would be a solid candidate for building something wild because it is a custom bike deserving of great parts. An Electra is nothing terrible but throwing money at it not for comfort or fit or there is an issue is a little odd.

As far as riding barefoot you do you but I would not want to ride barefoot anywhere unless it was for a short under 2 mile ride or something at a beach or very clean area but anywhere else I want good foot support so I can put a little power down and not have foot pain.
who you ask? Well just someone that realized that there’s no need to have possession of 20 plus bicycles. When I only have one as s hahaha

a better question I think is who builds 30 bikes and decides to have his last one built by another person cmon man who does that lol

you keep speaking with “if it was you” logic. That’s kinda pointless when interacting with those that can not be derailed. Especially if your not them and are blind as to where and how they ride. I live in Newport Beach.

Im going to share with you my bikes short back story and future plans. The frame sat incomplete in my backyard for a couple years. For the same amount of time I had my aero wheels and solid tires sit because I could not mount them by myself or find a shop willing to mount them. I got them on the wish app to see what they were like. Earlier this year I finally had enough of them sitting. So I threw them in the oven to soften them up and muscled them on. I don’t ride fixed gear and the only freewheel I had in my parts stash was a 30 tooth. I mounted the 70mm deep 700C wheels with 30 tooth cog and threw on the only front mount v brake I had from a mountain bike. From my parts stash. My added my previous seat post and saddle combo. Which is a schwinn gel seat with cane creek thud buster. Threw on a chain and went around the block. Finally the relief of no longer having this frame incomplete and unridable.

More recently I acquired another set of 26 inch wheels with nexus three speed hub. My original wheels were used on bike I built for a loved one. From the wheel set I mentioned acquiring. I disassembled the rear wheel. So that I could take the three speed hub to the bike shop and have it installed into my aero wheel. I learned from this experience that. I can not put a 36 spoke hub into a 32 spoke hoop. So i reassemble the wheel and am using it currently. I found online a 32 spoke hole rear coaster brake hub that I will buy and have installed into my rear aero wheel. Further in future I would like to upgrade to a deeper carbon wheel set with a shimano inter 5 speed hub with *coaster brake. With a hollotech crank and 75 tooth chainring if it fits the frame. In the more nearer future I’m going to swap out the front fork and wheel to a 29er set up and keep the 26 in the rear for a dirt bikeish look. I’ve also wanted to get my hands on a redshift sport suspension stem +60 version and use my Easton carbon monkey lite riser bars.

I went to Ciclavia in Hollywood yesterday it was great
Old 08-22-22, 03:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

who you ask? Well just someone that realized that there’s no need to have possession of 20 plus bicycles. When I only have one as s hahaha

a better question I think is who builds 30 bikes and decides to have his last one built by another person cmon man who does that lol
Ahh you are a frame builder? Curtis Inglis and Adam Sklar build frames, yes they can also set up the final bike but they are frame builders so they will build you a custom frame to your needs and you can put whatever parts you want on it and build it for you. If I had 20+ bikes and wanted to go down a bit a frame builder would be who to call and get something custom that did what I needed it to do that I thought maybe those 20+ bikes would do.

The reason I am framing things the way I am is you might do whatever sort of ridiculousness you will do to a frame not worth it but I can at least say as an industry professional and bike nerd don't and get something that makes sense for what you want. You do you but I wouldn't do you. I would certainly have a beach cruiser if I lived near the beach but I would have probably just kept it as stock or something pretty low cost for beach cruising not go all crazy as I might normally do as it is a beach cruiser. I might add some useful locks to it or something like that but really simple is better on a beach cruiser for beach cruiser use.
Old 08-22-22, 04:09 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Ahh you are a frame builder? Curtis Inglis and Adam Sklar build frames, yes they can also set up the final bike but they are frame builders so they will build you a custom frame to your needs and you can put whatever parts you want on it and build it for you. If I had 20+ bikes and wanted to go down a bit a frame builder would be who to call and get something custom that did what I needed it to do that I thought maybe those 20+ bikes would do.

The reason I am framing things the way I am is you might do whatever sort of ridiculousness you will do to a frame not worth it but I can at least say as an industry professional and bike nerd don't and get something that makes sense for what you want. You do you but I wouldn't do you. I would certainly have a beach cruiser if I lived near the beach but I would have probably just kept it as stock or something pretty low cost for beach cruising not go all crazy as I might normally do as it is a beach cruiser. I might add some useful locks to it or something like that but really simple is better on a beach cruiser for beach cruiser use.
thanks for your time and suggestions. I hope others will enjoy this cringe of build. I know I will. First next thing is I need to replace this 34 tooth chainring with something bigger. Im leaning towards a 37 tooth and a 13 tooth cog combo. Instead of the current 23 tooth cog. Bike calculator puts me in the green at a 90 cadence with that gearing

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 08-22-22 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 04:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks for your time and suggestions. I hope others will enjoy this cringe of build. I know I will.
I mean I don't get it but hey it was fun, glad we got to chat on this as well : )
Old 08-22-22, 04:26 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

I mean I don't get it but hey it was fun, glad we got to chat on this as well : )

i put an Alphine8 inter disc hub and dynoamo disc hub on my motorized bicycle. We are not the same lol
Old 08-22-22, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

i put an Alphine8 inter disc hub and dynoamo disc hub on my motorized bicycle. We are not the same lol
Motorized as in like a electric bike? I have a Rohloff E-14 system on mine, no Dynamo yet but I had considered it to add some charging to my system as I have already gotten close to maxing out Bosch with my front and rear lights however I did just buy a nice front wheel in a hub color that doesn't match the only other bike it could go on and have no interest in swapping it just yet but might end up getting a dynamo for that bike at some point and wiring in a Cinq Plug V. I love dynamos I have two of them at the moment.
Old 08-22-22, 04:49 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Motorized as in like a electric bike? I have a Rohloff E-14 system on mine, no Dynamo yet but I had considered it to add some charging to my system as I have already gotten close to maxing out Bosch with my front and rear lights however I did just buy a nice front wheel in a hub color that doesn't match the only other bike it could go on and have no interest in swapping it just yet but might end up getting a dynamo for that bike at some point and wiring in a Cinq Plug V. I love dynamos I have two of them at the moment.
no as in 49cc belt driven four stroke with jack shaft setup. The frame has a molded gas tank. the wheel hoops are sturmey archer double wall aluminum hoops. The chainring is equipped with a free wheel.
Old 08-22-22, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Oh god. A death trap. Why? (rhetorically) If you want a motorcycle get a dang motorcycle designed to be a motorcycle.
Old 08-22-22, 11:12 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Oh god. A death trap. Why? (rhetorically) If you want a motorcycle get a dang motorcycle designed to be a motorcycle.

Remember I’m from California

Would you happen to know what a hot rod is?

id say I appreciate trying to steer my moral compass but I could have done without it. I was just looking to figure out a technical obstacle.
Old 08-24-22, 07:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Ok California, Bangalore India, Montevideo Uruguay...it don't matter death trap on wheels

I know what a hot rod is and it is not a janky bicycle with a lawnmower in it...LOL
Now a rat rod maybe but even then those tend to be slightly less janky or janky but not really as some of them are really well done.

Nothing to do with moral compi just saying get a motorcycle or a moped if that is what you desire a bike is not designed to be a gas powered thing and there is not a bike I have seen I would strap a motor on and feel safe and comfortable riding it. I would own one of these if I had boku bucks:
https://revivalcycles.com/blogs/revi...al-cycles-fuse
Old 08-25-22, 06:28 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Its been fun watching whatever is going on here considering its long past times when there used to be...errr...aggressive discussions in this group. But I have got to ask - what in the world made you think this would be a good forum to get advice on building a multi-gear powered whatever-it-is?

Good luck - I think you need it...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 08-26-22, 11:04 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Originally Posted by Nothing to do with moral compi just saying get a motorcycle or a moped if that is what you desire [b
a bike is not designed to be a gas powered thing and there is not a bike I have seen I would strap a motor on and feel safe and comfortable riding it. I would own one of these if I had boku bucks:
https://revivalcycles.com/blogs/revi...al-cycles-fuse

umm it’s a $600 aluminum frame from gasbike dot com

So I don’t know what your on about

your doing that assuming things again lol you should see what this thing looks like it’s wicked

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 08-26-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-26-22, 11:09 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Its been fun watching whatever is going on here considering its long past times when there used to be...errr...aggressive discussions in this group. But I have got to ask - what in the world made you think this would be a good forum to get advice on building a multi-gear powered whatever-it-is?

Good luck - I think you need it...
thank you very much luck has been on my side that bike has many miles with non issues with a start on the first pull every time.

thanks have a nice day. Might not be as nice as mine though I live at the beach.

that being said in don’t mind if you talk down to me I read these with a ocean view. So I’m indifferent as one can be. If you only knew whats in my garage that does have pedals lol

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 08-26-22 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-27-22, 06:27 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts

Hahaha you are a funny guy. Ok - ride safe...
Old 08-27-22, 10:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

umm it’s a $600 aluminum frame from gasbike dot com

So I don’t know what your on about

your doing that assuming things again lol you should see what this thing looks like it’s wicked
It looks like a scooter rental and restaurant in Negril Jamiaca and the site looks like it was made in Angelfire or Geocities. You should really post the link if such thing is real. If it was a frame designed to handle a gas motor, then yeah OK but 99.99% of cases it is usually a huffy or some cheaper bike with some nasty kit on it even still I would rather have a dang real motorcycle. Those Honda Groms get decent reviews and are fairly low cost.

If it does look wicked maybe post a picture or not I prefer pedal power (either au natural or with electric assist) no need or want for gasoline. Diesel engine running bio-diesel is cool but regular old petroleum just ain't needed.
Old 08-31-22, 01:24 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

It looks like a scooter rental and restaurant in Negril Jamiaca and the site looks like it was made in Angelfire or Geocities. You should really post the link if such thing is real. If it was a frame designed to handle a gas motor, then yeah OK but 99.99% of cases it is usually a huffy or some cheaper bike with some nasty kit on it even still I would rather have a dang real motorcycle. Those Honda Groms get decent reviews and are fairly low cost.

If it does look wicked maybe post a picture or not I prefer pedal power (either au natural or with electric assist) no need or want for gasoline. Diesel engine running bio-diesel is cool but regular old petroleum just ain't needed.
i was going to get a grom but scored on a 1985 Honda elite 150cc out of no where.

the gas bike is cool too I have it geared real low. So that all acceleration is done by me then I use the motor somewhere after 10 mph. The Honda does 65 mph and it’s a two seater. There’s a scene in the first terminator movie where the co star is on a Honda elite deluxe version though in gold so cool.