Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1997 GT STS DH Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 10:25 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
1997 GT STS DH Value

No plans on selling this collectible but am wondering what the current market value might be...

Old 01-31-22, 08:54 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I'd gingerly remove all the kiddie stickers (but leave the cool period correct NORBA decals on the top tubes !) -- and have it as a cool wall hanging.

Mountain bikers, and especially gravity oriented folks, -- dont appreciate nostalgia much yet (operative word is YET ) -- and the bonded aluminum/ thermoplastic resin frame might have a finite lifespan if subjected to more abuse after 25 years

Its a very neat machine though with the early Boxxer forks , early application of disc brakes on a mass market bike, even the period correct DX SPD pedals and the tioga sofa seat

I'd guess somebody who had one of these BITD, or who lusted after one - might be inclined to pay 5 bills for it, but bike has limited appeal to the mainstream
Old 01-31-22, 09:16 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I don't have a value for you but I remember checking out all the wild suspension designs back in the mid/late 90's. Mountain Bike Action and Dirt Rag come to mind........I would imagine that most of the 26" suspension bikes from that era were ridden pretty hard and likely not many survivors in good condition. Any chance this bike did time in Bootleg Canyon?

Old 01-31-22, 10:53 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I don't have a value for you but I remember checking out all the wild suspension designs back in the mid/late 90's. Mountain Bike Action and Dirt Rag come to mind........I would imagine that most of the 26" suspension bikes from that era were ridden pretty hard and likely not many survivors in good condition. Any chance this bike did time in Bootleg Canyon?
Apparently, these bikes are very desirable across the pond in Europe.
The guy I bought from said he used to downhill race for a bike shop in Los Angels CA. I forget the name of the shop. I did replace the rear shock with a NOS replacement and the pedals will be swapped for flats.
The bike is regulated to easy paved trail/cross country rides now.
No monster jumps or bombing downhill for this one. I abuse the Trek for that stuff.
I did remove all the period decals though. I thought of leaving the patina but in the end removed something like 15 stickers off it and made it mine and not owning "someone else's" bike.
Old 02-01-22, 12:38 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Apparently, these bikes are very desirable across the pond in Europe.

I did remove all the period decals though..

Good call on the decals

Yes - i am amazed what nice MTB's go for across the pond. Almost made me want to send over my old Pro Fro , but my personal history with it at some events made me hold back.

Ive become enamored with early 90's Kleins as of late also and the asking prices between 2 and 4k euros over there is mind bottling
Likes For DMC707: