Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where to find a vintage road bicycle at a normal (non trend setting) price?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 02:22 AM
spray2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Pasadena for graduate school a week ago and decided to leave my single speed at home.

I found an apartment 20 minutes bicycle ride from my school and planned to ride my bicycle to school to keep the miles off my acura and to get some exercise.

The problem is, the last time I went bicycle shopping for a vintage 10 speed, it was back in 2009 when the prices were normal, now everything I see listed goes for $250 minimum.

I honestly just want something for $50-150 range, a vintage lugged road bicycle to get me from point a to b. Any idea where to search? I fit a 48cm-50cm frame.

Cheers,

Cody
Old 08-27-13, 06:03 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as what you want is transportation and not to collect, try thrift shops or contact Bicycle Kitchen in Pasadena to see if they have something. Or good ole fashion wants ads/Penny Saver...not Craigslist where everything seems to be inflated. The best deals to be found maybe be garage sales... start driving around early Saturday mornings in nice neighborhoods...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-27-13, 07:37 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
would probably cost you about that price to ship your bike and might be the best option

given your range money wise and combined with the size which is not common, I do not think it will be easy to find what you want.
Old 08-27-13, 10:15 AM
spray2020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
As long as what you want is transportation and not to collect, try thrift shops or contact Bicycle Kitchen in Pasadena to see if they have something. Or good ole fashion wants ads/Penny Saver...not Craigslist where everything seems to be inflated. The best deals to be found maybe be garage sales... start driving around early Saturday mornings in nice neighborhoods...
Yeah I heard that garage sales are the place to go- however there are guys out there who get to them super early and buy up all the good bikes

Will try bicycle kitchen to see if I can work out a bicycle for offering some help.

Originally Posted by Gallo
would probably cost you about that price to ship your bike and might be the best option

given your range money wise and combined with the size which is not common, I do not think it will be easy to find what you want.
Yeah I have been toying with the idea, but I am not sure if I want my single speed out here, as I prefer a geared bicycle with the hills. I wish I could fit a more common sized bicycle, however I love the look of a small frame.
Old 08-27-13, 10:52 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spray2020
...but I am not sure if I want my single speed out here, as I prefer a geared bicycle with the hills. I wish I could fit a more common sized bicycle, however I love the look of a small frame.
Pasadena is pretty flat. Just a few minor hills on the western edge of the city, and up to Altadena/Sierra Madre, (if that is the location of your apartment). Even with those, a SS would be fine in Pasadena. There are certainly enough riders with such bikes in the area.

CalTech? They have a pretty active bicycle club. You might check what they have to suggest. Oxy? Don't know what they have, (does Occidental even offer graduate degrees?).

Last edited by volosong; 08-27-13 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 06:51 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 995 Posts
Do you really need a traditional-style 'roadie' bicycle? Try looking on Craigslist or local ads for an old fully-rigid MTB, put some road tires on it (26" x 1.5" are easy to find), and that should work. I've found that old lugged road bikes are pretty pricey here in SoCal, but I always run across old MTBs for <$100. I've got one I use for early morning workout rides during the week, and two others I picked up (and am holidng 'in reserve') because they were such great values.
Old 08-27-13, 08:04 PM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing to consider about garage sale bike is generally they need tires, tubes and chains. Especially at that price range. We get them at the shop all the time and that is usually another 20 plus bucks up. Agreed about the pricing on Craigslist for road bikes. The prices are way over inflated especially for road bikes as people think because a vintage Murray with rusted chain, cranks and handlebars with 2 flat tires is "collectible"
Old 08-27-13, 08:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you're persistent, you'll still find some square deals, I think, on CL. There is a lot of dead inventory on CL because people think that old so-so bikes can command silly prices.
Old 08-29-13, 07:21 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Check C-list three-four times a day. I found a fantastic 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12 for $25.00. New tires, cables, bar wrap AND a complete strip down & rebuild netted me a great riding bike. Sold it for $220. It would have gone for more but I liked the kid who bought it.

As found, it was unrideable pile of potential. Had to saw the tires off the rims. All the grease was the consistency of a bar of soap. Don't use price as a guide, think value. For $220, my guy got a great deal, less than the labor cost for repairs at the local Performance Bike shop. Their prices are fair.

Your $150 ten speed could be a complete roach. There's no logic required for pricing used bikes
Old 08-29-13, 08:46 PM
blarnie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Open Road Cycles in Pasadena will have what you're looking for.