Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3d printing.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3d printing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 09:11 AM
Ratherbesailing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3d printing.

A friend is an engineer at an small aircraft manufacturer. He recently was moved to a department where he has access to a 3d printer. I recently introduced him to road biking and the last time I saw him he showed me this material and asked if I wanted anything printed with it. His idea was the front fork.

He says it's cheap and stronger than carbon fiber. Felt very light as well. He made it sound like it wasn't a problem to have whatever I want printed up but I just want to owe him 1 favor not a dozen.

So I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this before or has any idea of maybe the most useful thing to have printed. Would seem like a waste to not take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 09-23-13, 09:19 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratherbesailing
He says it's cheap and stronger than carbon fiber. .
Yes and a solid cast steel fork would be cheap and strong but its going to be heavy. On something like this you can't divorce the strength from the weight. In my experience with 3d printed parts if its strong then its going to be heavy. If its somewhat light then its going to be like riding on a wet noodle. I would be more apt to make something like custom computer mount or a fancy bottle cage. Definitely not anything that supported my weight and especially not a fork.
Old 09-23-13, 09:20 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Stronger than CF? That seems highly unlikely. Most 3d printers use plastic or resin although some of the high-end printers can print metal. There's a lot of design/engineering for a fork, I'd start with something simpler. Betting you could do a really awesome tool holder or bottle cage.

The real advantage of 3d printing is that you can make things that are custom or would be impossible with conventional manufacturing.
Old 09-23-13, 09:26 AM
MingusDew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, as a mechanical engineer with some experience in additive manufacturing (AM), I'll chime in that there are some aircraft manufacturers who use AM for production. However, without knowing the material or specific AM process I can't give you much feedback. I can definitely say that there is a reason why bike manufacturers do not use AM for making forks though . I know of a few pieces (transmission case) that are rather large and carry some load, but I can't think off the top of my head of hearing about any structural suspension pieces that are produced using AM. There might be some precedence, I'm by no means an expert (my expertise is more with structural dynamics and networked sensor arrays), but it doesn't seem like an application that AM would be the best choice. Also, if you don't have any experience with CAD/CAE, and designing a load bearing structural component then you probably should not even be attempting a project like this. Properly designing any structural piece (e.g. front fork) requires material knowledge, structural design to account for both loadings and fatigue limits, and the experience with CAD/CAE software.

It's not just as simple as drawing a fork in a computer program and printing it out.
Old 09-23-13, 09:35 AM
Ratherbesailing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, thinking smaller is probably a good idea. To the drawing board.
Old 09-23-13, 09:40 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MingusDew
Also, if you don't have any experience with CAD/CAE, and designing a load bearing structural component then you probably should not even be attempting a project like this. Properly designing any structural piece (e.g. front fork) requires material knowledge, structural design to account for both loadings and fatigue limits, and the experience with CAD/CAE software.

It's not just as simple as drawing a fork in a computer program and printing it out.
This is the most important part. It's all very well saying this material is stronger/lighter than CF, but you and your friend don't know how it behaves in the unique stress/strain patterns of a bicycle fork. The carbon forks that are on the market now have been honed through 30 years of experimentation to eliminate excess material in places where it isn't needed, thus bringing the weight down. You don't know where these places are in your new material. So to accommodate that, you'll probably have to overdesign your fork by a significant amount. Meaning you'll end up with a much heavier fork, when you could've got a lighter chrome fork for $100 on eBay.

On the other hand, it might be a fun project to work on with him, if you can afford the "printer ink" to do a few dozen different designs before coming up with one that works. DON'T treat this as a way to get a lighter-than-carbon fork on the cheap. Because it isn't.
Old 09-23-13, 09:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
First of all, that must be some big 3D printer. I guess they are getting to be that size now, but a fork is pretty damn long for many printers.

Second, in a printed part there will be no "orientation" of fibers to strengthen and stiffen the fork in the proper directions. That will make it necessary to add more material to obtain these characteristics and that means lots more weight.

Third, in many 3D systems two plastics are used and the desired part is made out of one plastic while the other plastic is used to fill in the spaces which will need to be hollow in the final part and to support areas of the desired part that need to be built up vertically. The printed fork might look like a solid rectangular block with the fork hidden inside. This second plastic is water soluble and is washed out after the part is printed, leaving just the desired part. I find it hard to believe that it would be easily possible to wash material out of the inside of fork blades and the steerer tube. Would all that material have to be carried along forever?
Old 09-23-13, 09:45 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't want to be the one road testing said fork ..
Old 09-23-13, 10:06 AM
Ratherbesailing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got wide eyed when he suggested a fork too. He kept calling it a yoke which was funny. But he seemed pretty confident. I really have no need for a fork. But I thought if it ready is stronger and lighter than cf which it may be as it is used in manufacture of these tiny lite aircraft. Then maybe you could end up with something pretty unique. Cutouts or something.
Old 09-23-13, 10:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
carbon fiber will likely have a higher specific modulus then whatever polymer is being printed
Old 09-23-13, 10:12 AM
MingusDew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post a video of the first road tests
Old 09-23-13, 10:18 AM
Ratherbesailing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could go viral. Then I'm on the today show.
Old 09-23-13, 10:19 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in engineering and I just want to warn you that engineers have a bad habit of saying "meh how complicated can it be" and assume they have an understanding of things without actually having an understanding of things. I wouldn't stake my safety on the fact that the guy is an engineer in a completely different field than bicycle manufacturing.
Old 09-23-13, 10:27 AM
MingusDew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^this.

/endThread
Old 09-23-13, 10:31 AM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MingusDew
Post a video of the first road tests
on a 50+mph downhill please.
Old 09-23-13, 12:46 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should make something like a mount for your phone, light, speedometer or something like that.

Maybe you could replace the seat bag with a little unit that attaches rigidly to the seat rails and is compartmented to hold your CO2 and multitool snugly.

Just don't make a fork, though... for heaven's sake, it's one of the few components on your entire bike that has a good chance of KILLING YOU if it fails!
Old 09-23-13, 12:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If he's new to cycling, I don't think he realizes the amount of R&D that goes into designing something like a bike frame.
Old 09-23-13, 03:56 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
I wouldn't want to be the one road testing said fork ..
Best point of all. OP, if you print a front fork, I hope your life insurance is paid up.
Old 09-23-13, 04:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Start with a bottle cage.
Old 09-23-13, 04:32 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Well I need a crazy fork, so if he prints you one and you're scared to test it feel free to drop me a PM
Old 09-23-13, 04:41 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Start with a bottle cage.
Word for word, exactly what I was going to say. Bizarre.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 09-23-13, 05:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratherbesailing
I got wide eyed when he suggested a fork too. He kept calling it a yoke which was funny. But he seemed pretty confident.

Originally Posted by therhodeo
I work in engineering and I just want to warn you that engineers have a bad habit of saying "meh how complicated can it be" and assume they have an understanding of things without actually having an understanding of things.
It's easiest to find answers when unencumbered by knowledge or the thought process.
Old 09-23-13, 05:32 PM
JohnEBongo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not the whole bike??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxjLpu2BvY
Old 09-23-13, 05:44 PM
blarnie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would this be better than what exists currently?
Old 09-23-13, 05:55 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Because he'd be making it for himself.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.