Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure Gauge Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 05:41 PM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

Can I also use this gauge for my car?

Old 01-05-22, 05:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
You can, but note that such gauges give their best accuracy in the middle of their range -- and car tire is usually inflated to about 30psi.
Old 01-05-22, 08:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Can I also use this gauge for my car?
fwiw - I have multiple gauges of multiple ranges
Old 01-06-22, 07:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
O.P., does your bike have Shrader valves? All of mine are Presta.

As an aside, one of the old pop-up tire gauges is good enough to check my car's tires. And I don't obsess over the nearest half a psi on either bikes or cars, so whatever gauge is attached to a pump is good enough for me.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-06-22, 11:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
Decent gauge but if you are buying a new one, I agree that it would be better to get one in the auto specific pressure range. I don't see the point of a separate gauge for bike tires, though I admit to buying one before I figured out I would never use it. The one on the pump is accurate enough.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-06-22, 11:56 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
These days, there's little use for a gauge that goes that high or one for a Schrader valve. Yes it will work on a car, but the pressure range is too high.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-08-22, 06:09 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I have a Schrader valve/lower PSI one in my car glove box and a Presta valve/higher PSI one for carrying on bike when I do multi-day rides.

Agree with the comment about the one in the floor pump being accurate enough - I've checked mine and it is within a few PSI of my other one, but not sure which one is actually right! A few PSI either way is in the titanium zipper category for me.
Old 01-08-22, 08:02 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,920 Posts
It'd support with providing the cold operating PSI, when checking for a passenger car's average tire of 32~35 PSI.
if the vehicle is equipped with a TPMS & there's a fault illuminated, the gauge may not display a low PSI as accurately as another gauge with a more wider range, specifically for automotive use.
Old 01-08-22, 08:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
These days, there's little use for a gauge that goes that high or one for a Schrader valve. Yes it will work on a car, but the pressure range is too high.
Only time I'd consider a gauge with that high or similar of readout, is when I'm seating a bicycle's or vehicle's bead to prevent an unwanted event from occurring.
Old 01-08-22, 09:09 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I prefer to inflate a bit over my target pressure with the floor pump and then bleed air to the pressure I want using a Meiser gauge somewhat like that. Mine is for Presta valves with a range of 0-100 psi.

My floor pump is made by Bell and works fine as a pump. It has a built in gauge that is fairly consistent (precise) but not very accurate.

If I inflate to a reading of 55 psi on the pump, it will consistently produce around 65 psi as measured by the more accurate Meiser gauge. Then I just bleed air down to whatever pressure I want to run.

I’m not so picky about 1 psi difference but more than three psi and it may be noticeable, especially since I run pressures towards the low end already.

Otto
Old 01-08-22, 09:32 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This is a really weird version you've selected: Schrader valve with a kPa primary scale going up to 160 psi? Really? Maybe pick a different model, lol.

I like these Accu-Gage gauges, they're inexpensive, accurate, durable, easy to read and hold the pressure after you disengage them. I have one Accu-gage gauge for pressures up to 15 psi for my fatbike and one with pressures up to 30 psi for MTB. I have an SKS Airchecker that I use occasionally for higher pressures on other bikes but that thing's annoying to use so I typically just use the digital gauge on my pump.
Old 01-08-22, 09:54 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
This would be excellent for the higher pressure tires typical on over-the-road trucks. They typically run cold inflation pressures around 105-115 psi.

Also can be used with a Presta to Schrader adapter for those running high pressures on road tires with Presta valves. Back in my teens, I did long road rides on tubular tires and would carry one of these in my patch kit amd stop off at a service station where you top off the tires to whatever pressure you wanted. Way back then you could do that for free.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-08-22 at 09:57 AM.