Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

26" Suspension fork that can be REBUILT?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 11:11 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

I'm tired of throwing away suspension forks after a few years because parts are not available. The bushings wear out which makes the fork wobble, and eventually it's too much to deal with. For what it's worth, I've been using the cheap 1990s elastomer Rock Shox forks (Indy and others) that everyone hates.

Are there any new or vintage forks that you can still get parts for? Fox, Marzocchi, others? Rock Shox still offers the Recon Silver TK Air which fits my needs. But it's heavy, and I can't figure out where to buy bushings when they wear out...

Requirements:
- For 26" wheels
- V-brake
- 1 1/8" steerer
- Ideally 60-80mm of travel but up to 100mm is ok

Don't bother suggesting I "upgrade" (downgrade) to a modern MTB or disc brakes. I like the bike I have, and I haven't liked any of the newer MTBs I've tried as much as mine. I'll go rigid if I have to, but I like having front suspension.
Old 01-31-22, 11:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
You might look at Chain Reaction Cycles; they had some vintage NOS models set up for "V's" about a year ago.
Old 01-31-22, 04:49 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by 2old
You might look at Chain Reaction Cycles; they had some vintage NOS models set up for "V's" about a year ago.
Rats, they are all out of stock now. I've heard good things about the old Marzocchis and a quick search indicates the parts to rebuild one may still (used to?) be available. I could track down a used one. A simple coil spring is especially attractive to me, with no air cartridges to fail.
Old 01-31-22, 11:55 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
https://www.mtbforksbymark.com/

i've had email exchange with mark. nice guy and helpful. if you get a fork like on ebay or something, he'd very likely be able to rebuild it or have the parts for you. i found an atom bomb Z2 at a thrift store for $10 with an aluminum steerer several years ago. they're out there
Old 02-01-22, 01:15 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Rockshox doesn't seem to like bushing replacement. They tend to offer complete new lower slider assemblies with bushings and seals installed.
Old 02-01-22, 10:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I'm tired of throwing away suspension forks after a few years because parts are not available. The bushings wear out which makes the fork wobble, and eventually it's too much to deal with. For what it's worth, I've been using the cheap 1990s elastomer Rock Shox forks (Indy and others) that everyone hates.

Are there any new or vintage forks that you can still get parts for? Fox, Marzocchi, others? Rock Shox still offers the Recon Silver TK Air which fits my needs. But it's heavy, and I can't figure out where to buy bushings when they wear out...

Requirements:
- For 26" wheels
- V-brake
- 1 1/8" steerer

Don't bother suggesting I "upgrade" (downgrade) to a modern MTB or disc brakes. I like the bike I have, and I haven't liked any of the newer MTBs I've tried as much as mine. I'll go rigid if I have to, but I like having front suspension.
Probably the only way to find what you want is to go to the used market. I’d look for something by Fox. V-brake capable forks are difficult to find but some pop up occasionally on Fleabay. I usually just send my forks out to Risse Racing. They’ve done a good job on several forks for me.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-01-22, 05:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
One of the things that goaded me to get a new mountain bike in 2018 was that not a thing about my Hardrock was like a current bike. Since that buy, have not lost much. B+ 2.8's are still around though not on many new bikes. The bike can support 29er if I begin to strike out. 11 speed parts were popular for a while and not long ago (MY12-18) and Shimano, the great segmenter, is still launching down market and gravel groups with appropriate chains and cassettes. The rest of it is still good to receive whatever's on the market. I think the "new standards" march is taking a few years off due to the global supply bla bla.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-01-22 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 10:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,687 Times in 4,081 Posts
I wouldn't avoid disc if I were you. There are many more decent used forks available with disc. Just shop for a front wheel while you're looking for olde straight steerer forks. It's usually not too long before you find a nice 26er QR front wheel with rotor for $50 or so, then all you need is a decent cable actuated caliper. Cable disc in front, Vee in the back is a pretty nice setup IMO.

If you decide you don't mind disc, and want the easy-to-find option, this is a decent way to go,
https://www.jensonusa.com/manitou-ma...Steerer-9mm-QR
then buy a rebuild kit or two, looks like they're going for $35 apiece.
https://blueskycycling.com/products/...build-kit-2009

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-02-22 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 11:03 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I wouldn't avoid disc if I were you. There are many more decent used forks available with disc. Just shop for a front wheel while you're looking for olde straight steerer forks. It's usually not too long before you find a nice 26er QR front wheel with rotor for $50 or so, then all you need is a decent cable actuated caliper. Cable disc in front, Vee in the back is a pretty nice setup IMO.

If you decide you don't mind disc, and want the easy-to-find option, this is a decent way to go,
https://www.jensonusa.com/manitou-ma...Steerer-9mm-QR
then buy a rebuild kit or two, looks like they're going for $35 apiece.
https://blueskycycling.com/products/...build-kit-2009
Wow, that's almost as light as my ancient fork and a full pound lighter than the new Rock Shox offering. Seems like it would be worth mounting V-brake bosses to...

I've tried well over a dozen bikes with disc brakes including new demo units, ones setup by professional shop mechanics, and ones that I tried to setup. They are all utter crap. They usually rub, squeal, have terrible modulation, and the levers bottom out on the bars before the rear wheel is lifted with the front brake. Mechanical or hydro, it doesn't matter. They are useless to me. Everyone claims that disc brakes work, but I have yet to actually see it. My MTB will go rigid before it gets a disc brake.
Old 02-02-22, 11:03 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Facing similar issue not too long ago, I scoured the major used platforms and found a couple of old school Marzocchi Bombers. Found some aftermarket seals, but having a harder time tuning then to my weight (need heavier springs).
Old 02-02-22, 11:41 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Jake—given what you want, I'd contact Marzocchi Mark. I'm a shop mechanic and have sent a handful of vintage forks his way for customers and the quality of his work is impeccable. It's likely he has something in stock that'll work for you and you can trust his assessment of its condition. His
work doesn't come cheap but it's more than fair.
Old 02-03-22, 01:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

Requirements:
- For 26" wheels
- V-brake
- 1 1/8" steerer

If the Recon fits your needs, then get it.

RS forks are very easy to work on, and I have found rebuild kits easily available for even my 2005 Pike and 2007 Reba.

if you change the oil the lowers when you’re supposed to, you’re not going to wear out the bushings in this lifetime.
Old 02-03-22, 05:03 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Thanks everyone for the responses. I knew I came to the right place. I asked something similar in the MTB section a while ago and everyone just told me to buy a new bike.

I e-mailed Mark and Risse. If nothing pans out there, I'm going to figure out how to add V-brake mounts to that Manitou fork.
Old 02-03-22, 05:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Thanks everyone for the responses. I knew I came to the right place. I asked something similar in the MTB section a while ago and everyone just told me to buy a new bike.

I e-mailed Mark and Risse. If nothing pans out there, I'm going to figure out how to add V-brake mounts to that Manitou fork.
here's a manitou with the bosses

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22482040632...3ABFBMxMT3ndhf
Old 02-03-22, 06:22 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

some nice options....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18527351037...AAAOSwISlh9DFC

when rst made good forks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38461642902...4AAOSwPIdhv5yU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26549623845...cAAOSwNuhh3fHG
Old 02-03-22, 11:41 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts

Brakes are important. I really like the Markhour and recommend/install it often, but please don't hodge-podge a V brake onto a fork with only disc mounts. Look and I'm sure you'll find a decent fork from the era where 26", V-Brake forks were common enough