Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novara Randonee: Has REI Dropped it?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Novara Randonee: Has REI Dropped it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 07:01 PM
archfotos

Bikes: novaras

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I would not buy this bike again. For a touring bike mounting a common brand of fenders was a pain, trying to find a compatible front rack was not easy, mounting a water bottle cage underneath seemed to get in the way of the two cables (not a problem - but I am always wondering if it'll create a weak point with the friction) I'm seeing rust in a lot of the bolts. I don't see why touring bikes aren't designed with an easy way to mount a headlight out to the way of the assumed handlebar bag.

I don't really see a downside to having disk brakes I would gladly except the added weight for the security on steep hills and dealing with close calls - we're not talking an aggressive road bike, so I personally would not want to put money into a touring bike, today, without them - I am never planing on doing any third world stuff, especially with this bike.

And finally I have had such horrible service from multiple REI mechanic shops that it pains me to even step foot in their store - as a corporation they seem to have manipulative and imho dishonest practices

Last edited by archfotos; 11-22-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 04:23 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeMan

If you can find a used Safari you will not go wrong.
My girlfriend disagrees. She detests hers. In fact, it's for sale, disc ready, turd brown 2011(?) model. Feels like a tank, and I'm used to riding heavy bikes.
Old 11-23-14, 04:26 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edthesped

Doesn't look like a bad build and I really like that they don't have Novara plastered all over the frame, (what I dislike most about my Randonee)
You'd love the one I see in the cage at work regularly then, it not only has "RANDONEE!" plastered all over it, it has something like a cartoon chicken logo coming off that like flames. So gaudy! I'll have to snap a pic!
Old 11-23-14, 04:30 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by archfotos
I know I would not buy this bike again. For a touring bike mounting a common brand of fenders was a pain, trying to find a compatible front rack was not easy, mounting a water bottle cage underneath seemed to get in the way of the two cables (not a problem - but I am always wondering if it'll create a weak point with the friction) I'm seeing rust in a lot of the bolts. I don't see why touring bikes aren't designed with an easy way to mount a headlight out to the way of the assumed handlebar bag.

I don't really see a downside to having disk brakes I would gladly except the added weight for the security on steep hills and dealing with close calls - we're not talking an aggressive road bike, so I personally would not want to put money into a touring bike, today, without them - I am never planing on doing any third world stuff, especially with this bike.

And finally I have had such horrible service from multiple REI mechanic shops that it pains me to even step foot in their store - as a corporation they seem to have manipulative and imho dishonest practices
I'd be curious to hear more about why you think that. It's technically a co-operative and although it has drifted rather far from what it once was, I haven't noticed anything like you describe. Not that it's not there, just that I haven't noticed it, and that's why I'm curious as to what you've observed in this regard.
Old 11-23-14, 09:11 AM
archfotos

Bikes: novaras

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
I'd be curious to hear more about why you think that. It's technically a co-operative and although it has drifted rather far from what it once was, I haven't noticed anything like you describe. Not that it's not there, just that I haven't noticed it, and that's why I'm curious as to what you've observed in this regard.
First I apologize and don't want to sidetrack the OP original thread, too much. The main reason I brought that up was one of my reasoning with buying an REI touring bike was because they have storefronts Nationwide and having "their" bike might get a little loyalty from a mechanic when I desperately needed it - crazy thoughts we have.

With less than two hundred miles on a brand new Novara (one or two weeks old at best - country roads only no city) my wheel started to come untrue - took in to the REI where I bought the bike. Watch as the mechanic took tension off the spokes in a big way (not one or two) never adding tension to pull the wheel back into true. Ok he's the expert. The very next ride within thirty miles that wheel came complety apart and I was stranded 30miles from my car.

Last fall paid a different REI for a complete overhaul tune-up on another of my Novaras bottom bracket and headset didn't feel right afterwards. After a horrible - horrible go around with the manager and REI corporate got them to authorize another mechanic at a completely different store to look it over. He admitted it looked like they wiped cleaned the regions but did NOT replace the necessary grease so they were completely dry. That Novara to this day has a sticky headset and leaks rusty goup. When it dies I will be rid of that REI bike. Another REI wanted to sell me a completely new hub and wheel claiming the hub was discontinued, came here got some insights, went off to google found the part for ten bucks. Over the years browsing their store I have overheard salespeople tell absolute lies and have been give bull$**** advice that I knew was complete bull. If an employee doesn't ride at least fifty miles every two weeks (How hard is that!) they shouldn't be spewing crap as advice to sell a product.

I ride with a few different clubs. If I bring up an "REI story" first I get "Oh my God I can't believe you let an REI Mechanic service your bike!" then comes the horror stories from others about REI's bike service. I've tested this many times with the same results. What's funny is nobody ever chimes in with "that's weird because REI helped me out greatly" And that to me is the real marketing. Sure REI can cut down entire forests putting out glossy marketing pieces, but if every time I'm around real, in person, bikers and REI's quality comes up and it is always negative then why would I want to trust, tracking down an REI storefront, when I need them most if they are going to make matters worse.

Again I do apologize about sidetracking the thread it was their Nationwide presence that convinced me the Randonee was a good buy for a touring bike. And yes I've heard President Bush's expression "Fool me once shame on you, fool me a half dozen times - I'm a frick'n moron"
Old 11-23-14, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Other Coast, from 'D.C.'ish' ACA member Shop on a popular E-W & N-S Pac Coast route
LBS here is non discriminatory in what brand is painted on a tourists bike-frame .. in helping them without appointments.
though Trek is one of the Brands..

520 and other touring bikes are already owned before people get here..

& given sales of Campagnolo is zero the rest of the year , none is stocked during the Brief dry-summer sales rush.

[special order co-op deal is worked out, with the next shop 2 days ride south , or one would stay eat and drink, motel/hotel in the abundant places here, while waiting. ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-23-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 09:17 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I ride with a few different clubs. If I bring up an "REI story" first I get "Oh my God I can't believe you let an REI Mechanic service your bike!" then comes the horror stories from others about REI's bike service. I've tested this many times with the same results. What's funny is nobody ever chimes in with "that's weird because REI helped me out greatly" And that to me is the real marketing. Sure REI can cut down entire forests putting out glossy marketing pieces, but if every time I'm around real, in person, bikers and REI's quality comes up and it is always negative then why would I want to trust, tracking down an REI storefront, when I need them most if they are going to make matters worse.

Again I do apologize about sidetracking the thread it was their Nationwide presence that convinced me the Randonee was a good buy for a touring bike. And yes I've heard President Bush's expression "Fool me once shame on you, fool me a half dozen times - I'm a frick'n moron"
unfortunately I think the same can be said for many bike shops. The upside to REI is that you can return your bike if you aren't happy with it. I had a bike turned up at a local shop and within an hour it was shifting like crap I stopped in REI and the Mechanic adjusted the gears and had me on my way without any charge. the bike was a Jamis. After that I learned to do my own maintenance and haven't looked back. I have a Randonee and feel it is a Very capable tourer and would not hesitate to buy another. And for the price would buy it before I'd buy a LHT.
Old 11-24-14, 01:15 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't speak to the REI where archfotos has been, but the REIs by me (New Jersey) have serviced my Randonee three times and done a great job each time.

My bands:
Old 11-24-14, 02:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
With less than two hundred miles on a brand new Novara (one or two weeks old at best - country roads only no city) my wheel started to come untrue - took in to the REI where I bought the bike. Watch as the mechanic took tension off the spokes in a big way (not one or two) never adding tension to pull the wheel back into true. Ok he's the expert. The very next ride within thirty miles that wheel came complety apart and I was stranded 30miles from my car.
I've had similar problems with machine-built wheels detensioning on three different bikes and wheelsets now, including my original Randonnee wheels. Obviously the mechanic he took his bike to was not a qualified wheel-builder.

OTOH, the REI at Bailey's Crossroads did a magnificent job for me when my Novara frame broke on the first day of my cross-country ride. (See Finally started! is this trip snakebit? | pdlamb for the overview.) They replaced the frame and wheels, keeping the crank, shifters, and bars from my older Novara with lower gears. (I was especially grateful for that!) They knew I was going to ride it, loaded, and the mechanics there did a brilliant job with the standard machine-built wheels. The rear one is still going, about 17,000 miles later, with only minor touchups. The front probably ran up 12,000 miles, and never needed touching, until I replaced it with a dyno hub.

So I guess the message is that REI quality varies -- not too surprising, given the variants of a large number of stores and employees; but at their best, REI is at the top of the heap.
Old 11-25-14, 08:34 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The one thing I'd really like to do is learn to build my own wheels but for some reason am afraid to try it. I tore down an old rear wheel and hope to use it as a trial build but would really like one on one guidance to do so.
Old 11-26-14, 09:50 AM
walksomemore

Bikes: Masi Premiare, Trek 520, '01 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vaultbrad
The Randonee and Safari are still in the Novara lineup. Google Novara 2015. Novara will also be introducing a bike called the Mazama which will be similar to the Salsa Vaya/Specialized AWOL/Raleigh Tamland/Etc.
The Mazama frame looks like it specs out as a Safari with drop bars, discs, and no rack. Looks like what REI has done is beef up the Safari tires, then introduce the Mazama to 'fill in' the gap created by putting life rafts on the Safari rims. Looks to me like identical frames (at least in the 'L' size). The problem that remains - imho - is that the top tube on these bikes is disproportionately long and awkward as compared to the rest of the frame. But, some folks love 'em. I have a friend with one and he swears by it.

Is that a fair assessment?
Old 11-26-14, 07:57 PM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by walksomemore
The Mazama frame looks like it specs out as a Safari with drop bars, discs, and no rack. Looks like what REI has done is beef up the Safari tires, then introduce the Mazama to 'fill in' the gap created by putting life rafts on the Safari rims. Looks to me like identical frames (at least in the 'L' size). The problem that remains - imho - is that the top tube on these bikes is disproportionately long and awkward as compared to the rest of the frame. But, some folks love 'em. I have a friend with one and he swears by it.

Originally Posted by walksomemore
I think that REI is trying to cater to three touring niches with the Randonee, Safari, and now Mazama. The Rando and Mazama are designed for drop bars. The geometries for the two frames are different but specific to the intended use of each. The Safari is a different animal. The long top tube is perfect for flat bars or the trekking type bars that it comes with. They are now speccing the Safari to compete with other off-road touring bikes. I like the clearance for large tires for laden off-road rambling. The Mazama is specced with nice parts for the price and comes stock with 40mm tires. I lump this bike in the touring capable "gravel bike" category. The Rando is also nicely specced for the price as far as I'm concerned. It is designed for mostly on-road riding/touring.

As far as the Mazama and Safari are concerned, they are pretty different bikes. The Mazama is going to be lighter, quicker, and has a shorter top tube for comfortable riding with drop bars. For example, the Mazama has a 58cm effective top tube in XL, while the Safari has a 66.5cm effective top tube in the XL size. The Rando has an effective top tube of 57.5cm. The angles and geometries are different across the three bikes. Different bikes for different purposes. I'm excited to see the Mazama in person to check it out.

Disclaimer: I work for REI. I do not make commission on sales, but I am excited to see the new versions of these bikes if we ever get any in our store.