Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag Suggestions Please

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebar Bag Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 10:21 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
+1 on Jandd. I have the Touring Pack II which is big. The quick release tour bracket that comes with the touring bags is easy to get on and off and secure and reliable. I've used it in on and off road situations and with the straps snug it doesn't move.
Old 08-09-16, 10:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Certainly this is possible but it's bad design to require the user to "get good" at installing and adjusting their product. Even though they're less elegant, I'll stick with using Kikckfix mounts for my Ortlieb handlebar bag.
I will agree to disagree. It isn't difficult, it just takes a little understanding of how it works, and a little forethought. Seriously, it comes off easily, and reinstalls easily.
Old 08-09-16, 11:03 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Your experience was good, and that's great, but a few minutes on google will show that many others have had the same problem: The cable gets easily crushed. Ortlieb needs to redesign this system.
That's exactly what I found. The initial adjustment is fiddly and if you want to take the mount off for any reason it's hard to reuse the cables as they get crushed. The Raven clamp is better, but also needs a single cable to stop the bag sagging. The result is very stable and I have mounts on two bikes so that I can use my Ortlieb Classic on either without messing with the mount.
Old 08-10-16, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A second stacked stem works , leave the Ortlieb mount on , pull the stem, off the steerer to pack it.

SJSC has a welded T of aluminum (27mm of spacers worth of steerer ( less than actual stems))

(repeat) Klick Fix Bar bag mounts will take Ortlieb bags ..

2 plastic U's ... Short cable is just plain, a cut off section of brake cable will do ..
Plastic coating optional.. cover with tubing if you wish..

the full bells and whistles electronics disconnect bag and mount is exclusively Ortlieb.

Prior version 3 wrapped around the bars 4x per cable-side.. now its the Version 6.
Old 08-10-16, 09:55 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by nun
That's exactly what I found. The initial adjustment is fiddly and if you want to take the mount off for any reason it's hard to reuse the cables as they get crushed. The Raven clamp is better, but also needs a single cable to stop the bag sagging. The result is very stable and I have mounts on two bikes so that I can use my Ortlieb Classic on either without messing with the mount.
You really have to be more careful how you install it in the first place. For one thing, don't be hamfisted and over torque the bolt that tightens against the cable, thereby smashing it. Technically you are also supposed to leave extra cable on the end, there is a place to tuck it in, that way you can easily thread the cable back in if it is necessary to remove it. I neglected to leave extra but have had no issues. If you cannot judge torque well, and are prone to over tightening, use a torque wrench, I have one made by CDI that is a T-handle that accepts bits. It is set for 5n.m.
Old 08-10-16, 02:31 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
I will agree to disagree. It isn't difficult, it just takes a little understanding of how it works, and a little forethought.
It's almost like we're different people with different needs from our gear. Weird!

My bands:
Old 08-10-16, 03:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
This looks like a really good idea. One of my main reasons for avoiding a bar-bag is because of it blocking up my bar mount area.

I just ordered up one of these and plan to see if it works out attaching it to the top of my front rack as an alternative to a bar-bag. This would essentially achieve the same goal.

This bag is waterproof of course,

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...ag-_-pp_100055
I hope that works for you, but I want something that I can easily open while I am on the bike. I rarely open it while moving, but I don't want to have to get off the bike to access it.

And I want to put my map on top of it.

A roll top bag that sits on the front rack like that is clearly something that would not work for me.

No, I do not normally leave the right hand pocket open, but the camera resides there so that pocket is open when I am taking photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3000.jpg (94.3 KB, 106 views)
20IMGP3032.jpg (97.5 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 08-10-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 03:47 PM
phughes

It's almost like we're different people with different needs from our gear. Weird!
Very weird!
Old 08-10-16, 04:01 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have several of the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus-Large bags, love 'em. They're big enough and I like the 2 small zippered outside pockets for lip balm and deet in one, and a headlamp that I can always find in the other. I've never had any trouble with the Ortlieb attachment system, and they mount secure and stay that way. My 2 pennies,
Attached Images
Old 08-10-16, 07:42 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I hope that works for you, but I want something that I can easily open while I am on the bike. I rarely open it while moving, but I don't want to have to get off the bike to access it.

And I want to put my map on top of it.

A roll top bag that sits on the front rack like that is clearly something that would not work for me.

No, I do not normally leave the right hand pocket open, but the camera resides there so that pocket is open when I am taking photos.
Makes good sense to me, great points.
Old 08-10-16, 07:52 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I do end up going for a handlebar bag, it will likely be one of these in whichever size seems best for me.

Handlebar Bag - Arkel Waterproof Handlebar bags
Attached Images
Old 08-10-16, 08:19 PM
phughes

For anyone with the Ortlieb or those wondering about removing and replacing the bracket. If you want to remove it, and replace it without replacing the cable, only disconnect the end of the cable that has the finished end, the end the bolt screws into. Loosen the screw that holds tension on the cable, but not the screw that secures the cut end of the cable, leave that secure. Remove the bolt on the finished end of the cable, the one that tightens the cable, and pull the end of the cable out. You can then get enough slack in the cable to unthread the cable from the bar, but leave the last loop, then you can slip that off the stem after you remove the bars. That way you never remove the cut end of the cable, and you don't have to try to thread the cable back into the mount. This can be done quickly and repeatedly without having to replace the cable.
Old 08-11-16, 06:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
If I do end up going for a handlebar bag, it will likely be one of these in whichever size seems best for me.

Handlebar Bag - Arkel Waterproof Handlebar bags
A friend of mine has the red Arkel bags. The red color faded really bad in the sun. His are about 10 years old, I think he used it on the Northern Tier for 70 plus days, plus a few other short trips. If you go with a red one, you might want to ask Arkel if they still fade very badly.

All nylon bags fade, but his seemed to fade much worse than you would expect.
Attached Images
20IMGP4167.jpg (99.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-11-16, 09:23 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My experience is similar to phughes. I installed Ortlieb bar bag mounts on my daughters' bikes a couple of weeks ago, the night before we started a tour. It took 15 -20 minutes per bag. We gave them the bar bags as birthday gifts My wife and I switched to Ortlieb bar bags about 9 years ago. I have removed the mounts from the bikes many times; and once I realized that it does not take very much pressure on the set screws, removal and reinstallation was not a problem. The set screws only have to be lightly tightened to provide a secure mount. I have tried using the Klickfix mount with Ortlieb bags but found the mount to be too finicky when used with Ortlieb bags.

The 2 bar bags on the right have been used for over 16 months on actual tours. The 2 on the left are brand new. Not much difference.

My camera fits in the orange padded case. This bag is 9 years old.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-11-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 12:18 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine has the red Arkel bags. The red color faded really bad in the sun. His are about 10 years old, I think he used it on the Northern Tier for 70 plus days, plus a few other short trips. If you go with a red one, you might want to ask Arkel if they still fade very badly.

All nylon bags fade, but his seemed to fade much worse than you would expect.
OK thanks, that's good info. On the plus side, I won't need to have it out much before it makes me look like a hardcore long-time touring rider.
Old 08-11-16, 07:07 PM
Booger1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The smaller the better.....It's a horrible place to put weight.....I made mine,just big enough for a map,glasses,flashlight and munchies.
Old 08-12-16, 05:35 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
The smaller the better.....It's a horrible place to put weight.....I made mine,just big enough for a map,glasses,flashlight and munchies.
Finally, someone on this thread who sees it my way!

Actually, for my last tour (4,500 miles) I finally left the HB bag at home and everything got better. I put a gallon ziplock easily accessible in the rear pack for stuff I used to carry up front, and added a $5 cue clip for the map. It was nice not to have the weight up high on the steering. I got home and gave the bag away and will not use one again.

I started thinking about a "pack weight to payload" ratio and the HB bag didn't make the cut.
Old 08-12-16, 10:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Booger1
Regarding weight distribution, you are quite correct. And the framework and mounting of a handlebar bag by itself when empty is quite high too. So, this is a very valid point. I try to pack the most dense stuff to the rear of the bag, the light density stuff goes in the front of the bag.

I however for the convenience want to carry my camera, spare camera batteries, first aid kit, helmet rain cover, glasses, sunglasses, map, multitool, toothbrush and toothpaste, spare batteries for GPS and the USB powered battery charger for the GPS batteries, USB powered battery charger for the camera batteries, daily ration of granola bars, rain cover for my leather saddle, notepad and pen, a couple small Lithium Ion powerbanks, and I am sure there were other small things that do not come to mind where they are convenient and easy to reach. (I use a dynohub powered USB charger, thus the batteries being charged as I ride are in the handlebar bag, that is why the chargers are there too.) If I carried the multipocket panniers that were easy to access, like Arkels, I would likely put some of this weight in the panniers. But I try very hard to avoid opening my roll top panniers during the day while riding.

I also have my valuables in the handlebar bag, thus when I stop at a restaurant, grocery store, etc., the bar bag goes inside with me which is another convenience.
Attached Images
20IMGP3032.jpg (97.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-12-16, 11:04 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

I also have my valuables in the handlebar bag, thus when I stop at a restaurant, grocery store, etc., the bar bag goes inside with me which is another convenience.
Good point. I carry wallet, passport, camera, and other items I want quick access to in my bar bag. It comes off the bike anytime I leave it.

My bike handles well no-handed with my bar bag and front panniers. Handling does not seem to be an issue.
Old 08-12-16, 11:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Doug64
Good point. I carry wallet, passport, camera, and other items I want quick access to in my bar bag. It comes off the bike anytime I leave it.

My bike handles well no-handed with my bar bag and front panniers. Handling does not seem to be an issue.
I can feel a detriment to handling when I have a handlebar bag but do not have panniers on the bike.

But when my panniers are on the bike I like you do not feel any reduction to handling.
Old 08-12-16, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I wear the important stuff that Doug mentioned, money* passport Debit & CC under my Clothing, Now..

after pick pockets took that stuff in the airport on my way Home.

(* it was Traveler's checks which I got replaced , Cash was in NL Guilders )