Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noise when pedalling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Noise when pedalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 11:29 AM
Cold.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noise when pedalling

Hi,

Just repaired a puncture, and after replacing the wheel back onto the bike I am getting a noise.

It is only when I pedal forward and not backward. Also, spinning the wheel forward freely does not trigger the noise. The noise is only present when pedalling forward, or pushing the wheel backward myself.

The noise just sounds like something rubbing against some grit or something similar, and it is not constant, so it gets more frequent when pedalling faster.

Any info of where about this noise is being triggered from, and any info or guides to remove it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
David
Old 07-06-10, 11:31 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Take the wheel off and slowly put it back on.

Old 07-06-10, 11:45 AM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noise is still present.

Thanks for the repsonce though,
David
Old 07-06-10, 12:20 PM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might help to know if it happens when coasting. It sounds like its a drive system problem but it would have been the case before you got your flat. I would re seat the tire and tube (to make sure that you couldn't have done anything wrong when changing) and pedal the bike slowly on a bike stand to locate from what region the noise is happening. Can you explain the noise in more detail? Walking through gravel crunch?
Old 07-06-10, 12:22 PM
smo0othride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which wheel did you replace? Can you tell where the noise is coming from, like the wheel bearing area?
Old 07-06-10, 12:34 PM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its the back wheel, possibly sounds like its located within the bearing area of the rear wheel... Few notes: When using the quick release, the rod came out, as I must have undone it too much. So the springs came out, which i have relpaced, however as the springs have a 'cone' shape, should the larger end be facing outwards, or inwards. They are currently facing outwards. Also, could some fine grit be on this rod be causing the noise?

The sound is more of a harsh sound, and doesn't really sound metallic like gear rub at the front etc, almost a 'ticking' grind sound, but not a generic tick.
I'll re seat the tire and tube if the problem is still around tonite or something.

Also just noticed that all of the rear cogs move together (don't know the precise terminology) , waving around abit, like a slightly buckled wheel. The wheel is not 100% trued, so i pressume that is why, but it could still be an issue.
Thanks,
David
Old 07-06-10, 12:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
You put the skewer together correctly. The conical springs point inward like this [>====<]. Also the wobble in the freewheel or cassette is normal, except you never noticed it before.

I suspect that you're hearing a bit of drivetrain noise because the wheel isn't in the identical position as last time. First let's get the wheel back to the natural position. Hold the bike vertical on the ground, open the QR and tap or jiggle the wheel a bit and let it settle home by gravity. The rim should now be centered in the chainstays and seatstays (this doesn't work if you have horizontal dropouts without micro-adjust screws, in which case you have to center the rim in the chainstays by eye). If the rim is not also centered in the brakes, they get centered to the rim, not vice versa. from here on you'll always mount the wheel by gravity and it'll return to the exact same place on it's own.

Now spin the wheel and listen for any rubbing, which will usually be intermittent as the wobbly rim touches the brakes here and there. Adjust or center the brakes to clear until the rub is resolved. Any other sound? If not ride it and listen both coasting, pedaling on the level and also pedaling on a hill. If it makes noise, only while pedaling, try to figure if it's a metallic chain/sprocket noise, or possibly the rim or tire rubbing (sometimes pedaling under load deflects things slightly so a wheel that wasn't rubbing now does). If it's chain noise bit your shifting is 100% fine, ignore it, otherwise check the trim of the RD and fine tune it with the cable adjuster.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-11-10, 10:01 AM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afriad the noise is still present.

Also, the noise could possibly when the cassette is moving with the drive. As when you backpedal and after pendal foward the cassette 'clunks' and engages the drive. It makes a little grind noise aswell as the normal 'clunk'.

When the skewer is removed, there is a nut either side that keeps everything in place, these seem to be a little loose. Should they be loose so they rotate smoothly together or tight as possible with no movement, or somewhere in between.

I also degreased my chain a little but not thoroughly. I have replaced lube on the chain and cassette. Could there be a lack of lube in the bearing or somewhere. Possibly like this?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-11-10, 10:40 AM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump, Need to solution before the night if possible.
Old 07-11-10, 11:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I think you're probably hearing a gritty chain and nothing else, since it only sounds that way when the chain is running.

It sounds like you degreased the chain too thoroughly, and either washed some grit up onto the inner side of the plates on into the chain, or washed all the lube out. If your chain has a reusable master link, remove and wash it thoroughly in either solvent in a coffee can, or in detergent and water in a soda bottle, and rinse and repeat until the liquid stays clean. Dry it completely (if you water washed bake it dry at 200 for 10 minutes or so), or for solvents give it time in a warm ventilated place (put it on a rag in your car parked in the sun for a while).

Also make sure your sprockets are grit free, use the edge of a stretched rag show shine style on each cassette sprocket.

Re lube and re-mount the chain and you should be fine.

If you want a short cut, cut a paper towel into strips and feed them into the gap as the chain winds onto each sprocket one at a time and run it around that way for a few pedal revolutions. This does a decent job cleaning grit from the inside of the plates and sides of the sprocket teeth. Re-lube the chain and wipe off the excess, and see if that cures it.

BTW- I don't think this is your problem but the two end nuts of your axle should be tight so that neither can turn with respect to the axle or to each other. If either can turn, there's a good chance that your hub bearings won't stay adjusted, and that needs to be corrected. I don't think it's the source of the noise because it would be the same if the wheel were spinning whether you were pedaling or not, but don't let it go.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-11-10, 11:21 AM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't the noise be present when pedalling both ways if that was the case?, as in this situation the noise is only present when pedalling foward.

David
Old 07-11-10, 11:46 AM
FBinNY 

Too many variables to make a call without hearing and eyeballing it personally. It could be a tiny trim issue so it's audible when the chain feeds pulley to sprocket, but not the other way. It could also be tension sensitive, and there's usually more tension pedaling forward than what's needed to overcome the freewheel friction back-pedaling.

Old 07-11-10, 11:49 AM
Cold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, looks like ill be taking it the local shop, been there before a few times, good guys there. Should be able to take it there on Tuesday, need to ride it tomorrow but it shouldn't be a danger atall. Thanks for all your help.

David