Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cantilever rack question.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 10:32 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I found this front rack yesterday in the used cycling section of an outdoor store, took a gamble and it fit perfectly on my Trek 990. It even flows pretty nicely with a noname rack I bought off of CL a year or two ago. My question is, is it recommended that I buy the VO canti rack nuts and bolts, or can I just use the existing bolts?

Old 08-03-22, 12:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
I have two different versions of that mounted on two of my bicycles. I have had to get a bit creative, but in the end, both the brakes and the rack work - so necessary? I'd say no.

Old 08-03-22, 04:04 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I have two different versions of that mounted on two of my bicycles. I have had to get a bit creative, but in the end, both the brakes and the rack work - so necessary? I'd say no.
How much bending, if any, did you have to do for the Raleigh? I have a Nitto but the stays are at least 10mm wider apart than the cantilever posts on my bike and I don't know if it's okay to bend it that far.
Old 08-03-22, 07:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
How much bending, if any, did you have to do for the Raleigh? I have a Nitto but the stays are at least 10mm wider apart than the cantilever posts on my bike and I don't know if it's okay to bend it that far.
Bear in mind that these are V.O. racks, not Nittos. While I was actually too squeamish to do the initial bending myself (the rack that is now on the Raleigh was first fitted to the Iguana), it was off by about as much as you say yours is, when I took it to my (then) LBS to have it put on. When the Raleigh Competizione returned from Atalier gugie, I realized that I was short a rack and ordered a replacement. I saw how the design had changed, and swapped the initial rack over to the Raleigh with only very slight adjustments.
Old 08-03-22, 09:51 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
The local coop had them in stock so I picked up the VO hardware. I would definitely recommend the hardware as it was much easier to tighten down the rack to the nuts without worry of over torquing the canti studs.

Also, while I was picking up the studs, I scored an ortlieb handlebar bag with klicfix attachment for $30.
Old 08-03-22, 10:58 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I found this front rack yesterday in the used cycling section of an outdoor store, took a gamble and it fit perfectly on my Trek 990. It even flows pretty nicely with a noname rack I bought off of CL a year or two ago. My question is, is it recommended that I buy the VO canti rack nuts and bolts, or can I just use the existing bolts?

You got that bike- I remember that one! Good score!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.