Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Struggling to install Rotor Kapic Crankset on Santa Cruz Highball

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 12:51 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

I purchased a Rotor Kapic Carbon crankset to install on my 2019 Santa Cruz Highball, but I'm having a few issues getting it right. I'm using the crankset with a Rotor BSA BB, which threaded nicely into my frame. The crankset has a 135mm axle (this is what Rotor specifies for the carbon crankset on a Boost frame although strangely it specifies a 141mm axle for the aluminum version of the same crankset on a Boost frame) and a 34t q-ring with the inSpider PM. When I install the crankset with the specified spacers (as per this chart here) (1 type F (3mm) on the DS and A + E (2.1mm+.5mm) on the NDS, the chainring rubs against the frame. If I put larger spacer (5.1mm) on the DS it seems to clear the frame, but just barely and it does not match what the chart specifies. I cannot see anything on the Santa Cruz website that would indicate that this is an asymmetrical frame, but is that possible? The Rotor chart specifies a Boost chainline as 52mm, but the Santa Cruz technical info found here specifies the chainline as 53mm. Is it as simple as just adding another 1mm spacer on the DS?

Thank you for the help!