Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rims for touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rims for touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 01:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have been touring and year round commuting on sun cr18 rims.

Another good call. I've been commuting on the first wheel I built with a Sun CR18 rim for years.
Old 12-19-16, 02:02 PM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
DT-Swiss TK540 36-hole. Rim inner width of 19mm. Should fit almost any size touring road tire you can think of.
Old 12-19-16, 04:44 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by manuelgabriel
I'm about to build a touring bike but I'm not quite sure with the rims I'm going to buy. I'm planning to build a touring bike with 700c x 35c (or thicker) wheels with braking surface since I'm going to use cantilever brakes. Can I use standard 700c rims used on a road bike or do I need a thicker rims?
Thanks
The A719 are very good rims for touring. I'm on my 2nd set. I typically tour with 28mm F and 32mm R road tires but also take a set of dirt tires 40-42mm so I don’t have regret not being prepared for some dirt side tracks. I’ve used A317 rims. They’re bomb proof but heavier than the A719s and the braking surfaces wear out faster.

I have a set of wheels with Velocity Aerohead rims (OC rear) for commuting, event rides and short credit card tours. Excellent quality. Put a set of Aeroheat 20” rims on my new folder. 28mm is the max tire width for the 622 Aerohead (I think). One feature I really like about the Velocity rims is the spoke holes can be covered with nylon plugs. This eliminates the need for rim tape that always seems to squirm around on my rims when touring and has led to a number of flats when the spoke holes and reinforcements are exposed. Plus they save a few grams. I’ll be looking at Velocity touring rims next time I re-rim.
Attached Images

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence

Last edited by Western Flyer; 12-19-16 at 04:57 PM.