Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura ace 7400 front hub dimensions?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 10:04 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to be re-lacing a wheel with a dura ace 7400 series hubs. I've found the rear hub dimensions on THIS site, but I can't seem to find the front hub dimensions. In all honesty, I don't even know the part number for the front hub. The rear is FH-7403, but I can't find the model number for the front, even on velobase. Maybe my google foo is off.

Yes, obviously I could just measure it, but it'd be difficult with the wheel assembled. (And I don't want to disassemble the wheel until I can build it up again same day. (No downtime if possible.))

Anyway, does anybody have info on those hubs? I can't imagine it'd change much... it's a front hub, and it looks identical to many modern hubs...

These are the hubs I have. (Well, not quite, I have the hyperglide rear, not uniglide, but the hyperglide page doesn't show pics of the front hub.)

VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FH-7402 / HB-7402, Dura-Ace 7400 (Uniglide Only)

EDIT: Oh, I need to buy spokes, hence the need for dimensions.

Last edited by corrado33; 03-22-17 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 10:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5786 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
I never use published dimensions for hubs, trusting nobody but my own fingers to get this data.

However, I'm fairly certain that Shimano never altered the external dimensions of Dura Ace front hubs. Even if they did, it won't be enough to sweat. So look up any Dura Ace front hub, and you'll be fine.

BTW - as any lazy long time wheel builder will tell you, lace fronts with the same spokes as the left side rear of any matched pair of 32h 3x hubs, and you'll come out fine better than 99% of the time.

Also, if you go back to the site you referenced, they list Dura Ace fronts (all small flange).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-22-17 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-22-17, 10:38 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
mrrabbits Spokechart calculator shows-
Spoke hole BCD 38MM
Offset 37MM
Old 03-22-17, 11:02 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Also, if you go back to the site you referenced, they list Dura Ace fronts (all small flange).
Truthfully, though, Dura-Ace large-flange hub were available in the '70's:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano Dura-Ace High Flange First Gen (Black)

But FB is correct: all Shimano low-flange hubs have identical spoke circles and flange spacings. There are some tiny differences but they are inconsequential.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-22-17, 11:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Truthfully, though, Dura-Ace large-flange hub were available in the '70's:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano Dura-Ace High Flange First Gen (Black)

But FB is correct: all Shimano low-flange hubs have identical spoke circles and flange spacings. There are some tiny differences but they are inconsequential.
FWIW - (not much) When I wrote "all small flange", I meant all small flange were the same, not that all were small flange.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-23-17, 09:33 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never use published dimensions for hubs, trusting nobody but my own fingers to get this data.

However, I'm fairly certain that Shimano never altered the external dimensions of Dura Ace front hubs. Even if they did, it won't be enough to sweat. So look up any Dura Ace front hub, and you'll be fine.

BTW - as any lazy long time wheel builder will tell you, lace fronts with the same spokes as the left side rear of any matched pair of 32h 3x hubs, and you'll come out fine better than 99% of the time.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
mrrabbits Spokechart calculator shows-
Spoke hole BCD 38MM
Offset 37MM
Thanks for the information both of you. Considering the discrepancy between the site I originally found and mr. rabbits spoke chart, I'll just go measure them myself (grumble grumble grumble.) Looks like I'll need roughly 264s or 265s for the rear though. (Technically it's requesting 264 for the DS and 265 for the NDS, but that's close enough for me not to care about ordering two different sizes.)
Old 03-23-17, 09:39 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
On the Edd calculator that I've always used, it lists the 7700 front hub at a 38mm flange diameter and 33.7mm center to left/right flange. The 7400/7700/7800 and most other Shimano small-flange front hubs are close enough to use this information.

https://leonard.io/edd/
Old 03-23-17, 11:08 AM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
On the Edd calculator that I've always used, it lists the 7700 front hub at a 38mm flange diameter and 33.7mm center to left/right flange. The 7400/7700/7800 and most other Shimano small-flange front hubs are close enough to use this information.

https://leonard.io/edd/
You sure there's not a typo there? The Mr. rabbit spreadsheet (which lists the 7400 front explicitly) says the 7700 front hub is 38mm flange and 37mm center to flange. (Those numbers are identical to the 7400 front) and very similar to the 7710, 7800, and 7900 +- a mm. 33.7 seems a bit small. I checked the Edd calculator (that's where I had originally found the rear info) and it is indeed 33.7mm.

All the more reason to measure it myself. Front should be easy anyway. Measure flange to flange, divide by 2.
Old 03-23-17, 11:14 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts

!! Nice
Old 03-23-17, 11:19 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by trailangel
!! Nice
To be clear, especially since the OP is considering going with ths same spokes left and right.

Fronts generally take a spoke slightly longer than the left side rear (less than 1mm). So those who, like myself use proper full length spokes come out OK. But those rounding down, may find that they've rounded down too far for the front.

I was very surprised that the OP came out only 1mm different left and right. Every build I've done on modern hubs needs 2mm difference. A rough guide is 1mm difference for every 10mm difference in CTF distance.

Old 03-23-17, 11:24 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by corrado33
You sure there's not a typo there? The Mr. rabbit spreadsheet (which lists the 7400 front explicitly) says the 7700 front hub is 38mm flange and 37mm center to flange. (Those numbers are identical to the 7400 front) and very similar to the 7710, 7800, and 7900 +- a mm. 33.7 seems a bit small. I checked the Edd calculator (that's where I had originally found the rear info) and it is indeed 33.7mm.

All the more reason to measure it myself. Front should be easy anyway. Measure flange to flange, divide by 2.
IMO folks get carried away obsessing over small differences in hub measurements.

The differences don't translate directly to changes in spoke length.

spoke length changes 1mm for every 100 of CTF, and on 32h 3x, by about 15% of the change in flange diameter.

Old 03-23-17, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Don't you own a proper caliper to measure things yourself, yet?

Old 03-23-17, 01:23 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be clear, especially since the OP is considering going with ths same spokes left and right.

Fronts generally take a spoke slightly longer than the left side rear (less than 1mm). So those who, like myself use proper full length spokes come out OK. But those rounding down, may find that they've rounded down too far for the front.

I was very surprised that the OP came out only 1mm different left and right. Every build I've done on modern hubs needs 2mm difference. A rough guide is 1mm difference for every 10mm difference in CTF distance.
Yeah I was surprised as well. (I used the QBP spoke calculator.) That calculator differentiates between DTSwiss spokes and wheelsmith spokes. The DTSwiss measurements were 1mm different. The wheelsmith measurements were 2mm off.

Using other calculators, it seems like the qpb calculator is rounding the longer one down by .3mm and the shorter one up by .4mm. So technically, the distance is very near to 2mm difference. I know the rule of thumb is to round UP, but in all honesty I don't think it matters over such short distances. Heck, spokes aren't even offered in all lengths and some people are forced to use a spoke a mm short or too long.

(EDIT: And I'm in the DTSwiss camp (for now). I've actually never used wheelsmith, but I've built up a half dozen or so wheels with DT and they've done well by me. Some have well over a few thousand miles and are still perfectly true. Besides, DT spokes come with nipples and wheelsmith I have to order separate. Actually, now that I think about it... it may be advantageous to order them separately...)

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Don't you own a proper caliper to measure things yourself, yet?

Yeah yeah yeah I'm getting to it. I'm a novice wheelbuilder so I still like to refer to the people more experienced than me before and after I do anything...

Last edited by corrado33; 03-23-17 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 01:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I read books before the internet, My LBS has had a paper chart that DT published,
My friend & the guy who keeps the door open & the lights on , we figured out the respoking of the front rim with a Dynohub.
Old 03-23-17, 03:54 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Yeah I was surprised as well. (I used the QBP spoke calculator.) That calculator differentiates between DTSwiss spokes and wheelsmith spokes. The DTSwiss measurements were 1mm different. The wheelsmith measurements were 2mm off.
Yep. Spoke length is an exact science right until the moment you remember you can only buy spokes in increments of 2mm (at least that's what my source stocks.) I've always rounded up and never had a problem.

When I ran the flange width discrepancy (discussed above) in Edd, I got a difference of 0.4mm.

However, it is always good to do a sanity check measurement before buying spokes if possible. I ALWAYS measure rim ERD myself on EVERY rim I build up. Small variation there really can cause spokes to fit or not fit, and rims don't necessarily match manufacturer published data.
Old 03-23-17, 07:31 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I always measure mine and just built a lovely 7410 set and notes show FH measured 34mm as per FastJake.