Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mecacycle information/camus tubes legers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 01:26 PM
jliet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello.

I have this mecacycle track frame, and on further thought started questioning whether I have the right seatpost diameter. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this tubing - from what I can find here it was straught gauge, so assuming an OD of 28mm the seat post should indeed be 26.2, but would be good to confirm this. In exchange for this information, here's some shots of the cool paint it has (seatpost clamp was in this state from previous buyer - only unfortunate part of the bike)!

Cheers!

Last edited by jliet; 06-01-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-16-21, 11:19 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
very sparkly paint! Has to be a French frame with Camus tubing, there isn't much out there about the tubing (except it came in the more basic round set which apparently you have here), metallurgically somewhat in the Reynolds and others camp who alloyed manganese with chromium rather than molybdenum (in steel). Camus also were known for an "Aero 7" tubeset that had teardrop-shaped center sections but round ends for joining to conventional lugs, plus said to have made a very light (maybe heat-treated) set akin to Reynolds 753. I have not seen any of these in person, all hearsay. But the parent company was Ateliers de Maison Rouge and they also built frames (and complete bikes) with Camus tubing and the staycaps and lugs on your "mecacycle" looks typical of many sold as "AMR" brand frames, but they are not super-distinctive bits, so who knows? Many AMR had semi-wrap stays and the (flat) caps were engraved with those initials. So the "deep flute caps" were not 100% used. How did you come to learn yours is a "mecacycle"?.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-17-21, 03:59 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
very sparkly paint! Has to be a French frame with Camus tubing, there isn't much out there about the tubing (except it came in the more basic round set which apparently you have here), metallurgically somewhat in the Reynolds and others camp who alloyed manganese with chromium rather than molybdenum (in steel). Camus also were known for an "Aero 7" tubeset that had teardrop-shaped center sections but round ends for joining to conventional lugs, plus said to have made a very light (maybe heat-treated) set akin to Reynolds 753. I have not seen any of these in person, all hearsay. But the parent company was Ateliers de Maison Rouge and they also built frames (and complete bikes) with Camus tubing and the staycaps and lugs on your "mecacycle" looks typical of many sold as "AMR" brand frames, but they are not super-distinctive bits, so who knows? Many AMR had semi-wrap stays and the (flat) caps were engraved with those initials. So the "deep flute caps" were not 100% used. How did you come to learn yours is a "mecacycle"?.
Hello! Thanks for this information. I have also found similar stuff - it seems the Aero 7 tubing was actually using a 26.4mm seatpost, so straight gauge stuff as in my bike would make sense (or well, it could be) 26.2. In terms of knowing it's a mecacycle the pictures didn't do it justice, there's more gold sparkle (and the head tube)

Last edited by jliet; 06-01-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 06:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I haven't seen a Camus catalog depicting that tubeset decal but the carbon-manganese alloy correlates to that of the TL08 set in the subject catalogue, which did use 0.8mm, plain gauge tubing. So, 26.2mm would be my starting point for seat post sizing, assuming it is a metric tubeset.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-17-21, 08:25 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I haven't seen a Camus catalog depicting that tubeset decal but the carbon-manganese alloy correlates to that of the TL08 set in the subject catalogue, which did use 0.8mm, plain gauge tubing. So, 26.2mm would be my starting point for seat post sizing, assuming it is a metric tubeset.
Thanks a lot.

Yep, it is indeed metric - any chance you have a link to the catalogue?
Old 03-17-21, 10:03 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Maybe beating T-Mar to this (which would be a first) but interesting that the topic of AMR came up in the CR List just today and a poster there provided links to this chart which lists the tubing specs for several Camus tubesets (and a "couple other" brands), plus this poster that shows the popular decals. That's more than the interwebs have coughed up on this brand for years, AFAIK!

Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-17-21, 11:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Here's the Camus TL08 spec sheet. It's the only tubeset in the catalogue that mentions manganese.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-17-21, 12:18 PM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Maybe beating T-Mar to this (which would be a first) but interesting that the topic of AMR came up in the CR List just today and a poster there provided links to this chart which lists the tubing specs for several Camus tubesets (and a "couple other" brands), plus this poster that shows the popular decals. That's more than the interwebs have coughed up on this brand for years, AFAIK!
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Here's the Camus TL08 spec sheet. It's the only tubeset in the catalogue that mentions manganese.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I do believe it is TL08 from what I googled, also confirmed to be 26.2mm ID. And from unworthy's table of tubing, the other option would be 0.7mm which would give 26.6mm ID which I think would be visibly a problem in terms of seatpost.

Either way, will confirm OD to be 28.0 and then looks like I'm happy to not go speculating and testing other seatposts aha!