Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Butt pain from cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Butt pain from cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 08:03 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Butt pain from cycling?

I noticed when riding in the car ( maybe 8 hours after riding ) I was having burning butt pain right in the center which later just went towards the left buttock. However after reaching my destination and walking around it went away. It was really uncomfortable to the point I wanted to pull over. I did notice in my rides not finding the saddle comfortable at all!

I’ve never really found the bike seat comfortable , but I’ve also had few years ago this latter buttock pain on the left side which later become leg numbing, but got alleviated through therapy .

what should I do , would changing saddle have big benefits? I do find it very uncomfortable
or am I better of changing from a fitness hybrid to a comfort hybrid ?
I really don’t want to do the latter Bc I love faster nimble bikes but I’m interested in feedback.
No trolls please, this is a genuine question and concern .

thank you.

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 05-15-21 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-15-21, 09:39 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Try the cheap solutions first. Do some sciatica stretches before and after riding.
Old 05-15-21, 10:47 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I noticed when riding in the car ( maybe 8 hours after riding ) I was having burning butt pain right in the center which later just went towards the left buttock. However after reaching my destination and walking around it went away. It was really uncomfortable to the point I wanted to pull over. I did notice in my rides not finding the saddle comfortable at all!

I’ve never really found the bike seat comfortable , but I’ve also had few years ago this latter buttock pain on the left side which later become leg numbing, but got alleviated through therapy .

what should I do , would changing saddle have big benefits? I do find it very uncomfortable
or am I better of changing from a fitness hybrid to a comfort hybrid ?
I really don’t want to do the latter Bc I love faster nimble bikes but I’m interested in feedback.
No trolls please, this is a genuine question and concern .

thank you.
Years ago, a cousin was having hip/butt pain. As odd as it might sound, his physical therapist told him to move his wallet while driving. This fixed it for him.

I'm in the process of trying to find the right saddle and all that encompasses - angled up/down/level, plush or firm or even firmer, fore/aft and saddle height. I was doing well on a Sella Anatomica leather saddle with center slit. Got a second for a new bike - I'm still tweaking. Obviously, the bikes have different geometries and getting the saddle angle, etc right is taking a lot of tweaking whereas the same saddle of a different bike is fine. And, yes, I've tried aligning them the same but again, different bikes. I also recently purchased (with return window) one of those new fangled Fizik 3d printer matrix thingies but not the $400 version. I believe it is too narrow in the sitting bone area.

A recumbent with a lawn chair might be best but I don't like the low-slung position.
Old 05-16-21, 05:51 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Years ago, a cousin was having hip/butt pain. As odd as it might sound, his physical therapist told him to move his wallet while driving.
I was told the same thing once. Tried it, seemed like it worked, for awhile. Turns out I needed a hip replacement.

The suggestion for sciatica stretches is a good one. A second is to see a chiropractor.
Old 05-16-21, 08:32 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I was told the same thing once. Tried it, seemed like it worked, for awhile. Turns out I needed a hip replacement.

The suggestion for sciatica stretches is a good one. A second is to see a chiropractor.
I know from hip replacementSSSS. Same hip replaced twice. The darn shaft came loose in the thigh bone!! Rattle, RATTLE, RATTLE! I will say the first one lasted a hard eight years. Hiking with elevation gains and loss of about 100,000 feet annually, cross-country skiing and biking. Still doing those things.

Enjoy that hip.
Old 05-16-21, 05:27 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
I have recumbent trikes and bikes, seat pain is a non-issue, the suspended mesh is like a good office chair. I like the fast upright road machines as well, but after about 4-5 miles I suffer the same as you. lots of different saddles and adjusting still get the pain. I will say the surface you ride on plays a role in it, on smooth trails I can go further, and this type of bike really shines on those conditions. I keep the lightweight upright bikes around for some casual exercise ,and when I have a need for speed.
Old 05-16-21, 06:07 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Was the same saddle sufficiently comfortable after your first few rides early last year? Have you only recently resumed riding since putting the bike away last fall?

If yes and yes, the saddle itself is unlikely to be the problem. Although you might want to stop by your local bike shop and have them assess your saddle height while you're pedaling the bike.

Or you can just check yourself to see whether your hips rock from side to side as you pedal, which would indicate an overly high saddle. A lot of people who have never been properly fitted on a bike have the saddle too high, to get "full extension."
Old 05-18-21, 03:33 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It may depend on your age and how many years you have been riding.

Of course, you may look at saddle and fitting. But also look at systemic reasons for pain.

If pain persists, its time to get help, and not from a fitter.

Chiropractor works on certain things like joints out of alignment; physical therapy will go beyond and also look at soft tissue which are the muscles like your glutes and other muscle groups. Muscle pain happens when muscles get knotted up. Physical therapy will un-knot those muscle tissues. Orthopedic physician will look at joints for damage, even the onset of arthritis.