Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have I missed anything?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Have I missed anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 01:41 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
you could just use your bicycle light instead of headlamp and save weight.

a can opener? That is old school. :-)
Old 05-19-21, 06:38 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I do not know if you will be doing any stream crossing, and if so you would attempt it barefoot or if footwear would be nice?
Old 05-20-21, 11:47 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
you could just use your bicycle light instead of headlamp...
Or the other way round, my headlamp fits very well around Ortlieb handlebar bag. I find I don’t ride much after dark, but sometimes in rain or fog it’s good to have lights on your bike.

Just a heads-up about Sawyer Mini, don’t let it freeze, that’ll ruin it. If you fill the squeeze bag with hot(ish) water, you’ll both have a hot water bottle and keep the nozzle from freezing. Have to keep it from leaking tho.
Likes For imi:
Old 05-20-21, 03:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Someone active on this forum used a Sawyer water filter, put it in storage, took it on his next trip and found it was clogged. Make sure it works at home shortly before your trip, it may need a robust backflushing, youtube should help you figure that out if you do not know how to backflush it.

I test my stove to make sure it is working well. It is the thing you are sure that will work that you will find out later that it does not. A stove gasket was bad, stove tank would not hold pressure, but I discovered that before I left home.

Before I go on a trip, I put my tent up and check it. One trip, the "taped" seam, taped for waterproofness in the fly, the tape was peeling off. Another trip, a different tent has a small clear window in the fly, the adhesive was no longer holding. I discovered these tent problems at home instead of a campsite in the middle of nowhere.

Originally Posted by headwind15
I do not know if you will be doing any stream crossing, and if so you would attempt it barefoot or if footwear would be nice?
I have not had to ford any streams, but there were a couple trips where I brought some sandals to be prepared to do so. One of those trips would have had ice cold water, I also brought neoprene socks like scuba divers use on that trip.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Years ago there was a frequent BF poster who was getting his feet wet with touring. He was also a chef, albeit one who worked for a very large corporation. The first thing he did was buy a tricked out, custom Bilenky bicycle When he was getting ready for his first trip he posted a photo of the spice rack he said he could not do without. The thing must have had vials of 10 different spices. I love to cook on tour and take small vials of salt and pepper and a small baggie of Aleppo peppers and head of fresh garlic, all of which fit inside my nesting pots. But a spice rack (even a relatively small one)? Forget it, especially for really short trips.
I think I remember him. He wanted to tour in winter, took one short trip. That was enough bike touring for him.

There was someone on this forum, maybe a decade ago that wanted to know the best way to pack his cast iron skillet.
Old 05-28-21, 06:53 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
The sections I finished were fun... the one thing I knew I missed was the fork. (I didn't want to spend on a new fork, and was comfortable with the suspension, despite any weight). The seals blew out somewhere after Cuba, and the lockout gathered more play as I pressed on from Abiquiu.

The lockout still holds, so I've detoured onto pavement -- I'm not done riding! I'm considering some sections of the Transamerica.

I'm already planning a second go at other sections of the GDMBR; I was overall pleased with my packing list and really only need to repair/replace my fork. A rigid fork with bottle cage mounts seems the best solution: not only do I "fix" the fork, but also move water weight off the racks. Carrying a couple liters in two panniers wasn't a bad solution, but made getting at the bottles annoying.

I'm thinking a Surly ECR fork (1 1/8 steerer, 100mm QR); any comparable options to consider?
Old 05-28-21, 11:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
RS lists 50 hours for oil changes and 200 for rebuilds.

I think if I were making a front suspension bike for loaded touring I’d find a coil spring fork.