Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dockless Donor: The 1980 Raleigh Sports will live again

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dockless Donor: The 1980 Raleigh Sports will live again

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 06:42 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
The braking system started giving me a bit of grief a bit ago, with the front caliper sticking, and both cables stretching more than I expected of them in a short amount of time.

It turns out that if the centering adjuster is backed out just a bit too much on these, they tend to stick halfway through their travel. A bit of adjustment solved that.

The most dramatic change though, are these "4ZA" in-line cable quick releases (along with aluminum cable ends and proper stainless dome nuts).

I'm not thrilled about the way they look - and I'm honestly skeptical whether they'll even allow the calipers to open up enough to slide the tire through - but they're less bulky than the Shimano CB90, which appears to be out of stock almost everywhere stateside (the one place that did have them doesn't have a pair).

I'm not quite convinced, but I'll give them a try.

Meanwhile, the Shimano lined housing and stainless cables are performing a lot better than the crap that I installed for the initial build. Braking is back to feeling sharp and perfectly responsive. I'd put these against cable discs any day of the week as they are now.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-25-21, 07:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Kurt,
I have a pair of BR-R451 laying here on the bench if they will make the grade for your bike. I bought them for a build that never materialized. I am not sure about the reach but I guess I could unbox them and measure for you. Lemme Know, MH 812-336-3283
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 06-25-21, 09:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Kurt,
I have a pair of BR-R451 laying here on the bench if they will make the grade for your bike. I bought them for a build that never materialized. I am not sure about the reach but I guess I could unbox them and measure for you. Lemme Know, MH
The Tektro 800A and 900A's are behaving again now with this modification, but thanks for the offer. The R451's would be too short, unfortunately.

-Kurt

Old 01-01-22, 01:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Small update: I finally had enough with the Nexus 8 giving problems. If I hadn't mentioned it already, it kept feeling as if the gear engagement pawls on the axle were slipping during shifts - usually initial engagement in 3rd through 5th, both upshifts and downshifts.

I knew this hub was new when I bought it so had no reason to suspect a mechanical failure - rather, I suspected issues with the factory grease. I opened it up last night:

I found clear evidence of the bearing grease and gear grease contaminating one another. Suspicion confirmed.

I sped through the reassembly so forgot to take pictures of the process, but all I did was separate the planetary cage unit from the axle, pulled the plastic bearing ring, and left the whole thing in mineral spirits for the night.

In the morning, I pulled it out, dried it, and immediately ignored Shimano's ATF dunk method (say what you want about it, I have my doubts about ATF as a good or effective lube for highly precise IGH hubs), and caked the pawls and planet cage full of 00 grease, Sturmey-Archer style. The bearing raceways received light green marine grease. I've used this same combo on the notoriously cantankerous Sturmey-Archer first-gen X-RF8, and expected similar results here.

And indeed, the hub is now working better than it ever has. Perfect upshifts and downshifts, and just as unnervingly quiet as it was when I first laced it in. I was a bit hesitant to experiment with the 00 grease given that I couldn't find any reports of anyone bucking the Shimano advice before, but I'm glad I took the leap. 00 grease is perfect for a Shimano Nexus 8, and I dare say superior to the overpriced, badge-engineered slop that comes in it from the factory.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: