Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Train Info for Seattle to Tacoma??

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 07:45 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Would appreciate advice for getting from Seattle to Tacoma via train with our loaded touring bikes. We plan to take Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle. I see that The Cascade Route goes to Tacoma. How easy is it to get on and off with our bikes?
Thanks!
Old 12-24-16, 01:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
AmTrak , obvious place to ask .. tried WSDOT? WSDOT

Busses to Ferrys are there too , A little Island Hopping thru Puget sound..
Vashon Island has 2 ferries on north and south ends that gets you from Seattle to Tacoma.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-24-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 11:14 AM
adventurepdx

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Amtrak Cascades is the regional rail corridor that goes from Eugene, OR to Vancouver, BC. About four trains a day southbound from Seattle to Tacoma. Each train has hooks for ten bikes and it costs $5 per bike. You do need to book the bike spot at the same time as your ticket to guarantee you have space.

The Amtrak Coast Starlight has one train daily between Seattle and Tacoma, though you either have to bring the bike as a boxed bike (which wouldn't be that much of an issue if you have it boxed from Chicago to Seattle) or they have six hooks for unboxed bikes. This can cost as much as $20 per bike, so it's probably wiser to take the Cascades. Also, if you were trying to do a direct Chicago-Seattle-Tacoma train trip with no real layover in Seattle, the timing would not work to take the Coast Starlight.

Or, if you time it right and get into Seattle on a weekday (and want to spend a few hours in Seattle) you can use the Sounder commuter rail. This runs afternoon/early evening from Seattle King St station southbound to Tacoma. It would be cheaper than Amtrak and you can bring your bike onboard:
Sounder Lakewood Seattle | Sounder Train | Sound Transit

And as Bob suggests, if you had a day, you can ride from Seattle to Tacoma. Doing the route via Vashon Island (requires two ferries) is nice. There is also the Interurban Trail that heads south from Seattle towards Tacoma, which is not as nice.

From Tacoma, where do you plan to bike?
Old 12-26-16, 01:39 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

We will then work our way to Victoria then Vancouver then across Canada.
Old 12-26-16, 02:06 PM
adventurepdx

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
We will then work our way to Victoria then Vancouver then across Canada.
Since you are heading northbound, is there any particular reason for choosing Tacoma as the start? Did you want to cross the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and head to the east side of the Olympic Peninsula?
Old 12-26-16, 02:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I gather you're headed to Port Angeles. If so, why not skip Tacoma altogether (unless you have a reason to go there), and pick up a ferry out of Seattle either to Bainbridge or Vashon Islands and pick up the route from there.

Depending on schedules, that would give you a day to explore Seattle, and cut out a day vs starting in Tacoma.

BTW - the ferry out of Seattle option works equally well if you're planning on doing the clockwise loop around Olympia Nt'l Park.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-26-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-26-16, 03:48 PM
Tandem Tom

Visiting my sister in Tacoma.
Old 12-27-16, 02:37 PM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
very easy to take the cascades with bikes. Just remember to get the bike reservation. However, I would honestly either just ride or have her come pick you up by car. The empire builder route in notoriously late most of the time.
Old 01-10-17, 03:53 PM
Rangersmith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could ride the Sounder train from Seattle to Tacoma......Bringing your bike | Sound Transit
Old 01-15-17, 01:53 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I was noting your screen name, Amtrak Cascades won't take tandem or long recumbent bikes. If the bike won't hang from the hooks, they must be boxed. Sounder train might be better, it also goes into the Seatac airport.
Old 01-15-17, 02:47 PM
Tandem Tom

Thanks for the reply! This trip we will be riding singles. I think we have decided to ride to Tacoma from Seattle.
Old 01-16-17, 09:17 PM
adventurepdx

Originally Posted by Shifty
I was noting your screen name, Amtrak Cascades won't take tandem or long recumbent bikes. If the bike won't hang from the hooks, they must be boxed. Sounder train might be better, it also goes into the Seatac airport.
Sounder is the metro Seattle commuter rail that runs on freight tracks. It runs commute hours weekdays only and DOES NOT go to Seatac airport.
Sounder train | Sound Transit

Link is the light rail that runs from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle and then UW.
Link light rail | Sound Transit

From the OP's original post, it looks like they'll be taking Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, so they won't need an airport connection for this part of the trip.
Old 01-18-17, 02:03 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Sounder is the metro Seattle commuter rail that runs on freight tracks. It runs commute hours weekdays only and DOES NOT go to Seatac airport.
Sounder train | Sound Transit

Link is the light rail that runs from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle and then UW.
Link light rail | Sound Transit

From the OP's original post, it looks like they'll be taking Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, so they won't need an airport connection for this part of the trip.
Still baffles me that the Sounder doesn't run on the weekends. Much like the WES in Portland.
Old 02-02-17, 10:54 PM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI for when you get to Tacoma: Pierce County bike map

Taking bikes on the Black Ball "Coho" ferry from Port Angeles is a joy! We did it on our honeymoon. I recommend extra diligence when securing your bike to the ferry bike rack - it can be a bumpy ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
coho.jpg (93.9 KB, 30 views)