Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic rim brakes (which are not Magura) - Thoughts on Pavo Boxer's?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 03:24 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 689 Posts

During my search for hydraulic drum brakes I ran into Alhonga before but for my current vintage touring bike project I went back to look what else they have.
They're a Taiwanese company that makes a variety of hydraulic brakes and have been in the market for quite some time but there is hardly (if anything) experiences available online.

Most of you will have heard of the much better known Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes but because these were designed before hydraulic bicycle brakes were common they use a different piston size than anything else on the market.
In short; Not compatible with any current drop bar levers... and I want to use drop bar levers on this bike.

That being said, what are your thoughts on the Pavolution Boxer?
Some Google translated German forums seem to hint at them being compatible with Shimano and it would be ideal if these were compatible with Shimano GRX for example. Drop bar + cross levers anyone?
I will contact them to get a more definitive statement on that.

I have found more pictures on this Romanian (?) webshop and this Dutch webshop.

Images by Playbike.ro

And if all else fails I can always just go for these very shiny Dia-Compe 999 cantilevers.
Old 11-25-20, 09:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Have you looked into replacement pads? Kool-Stop make pads for my Magura HS-33 in several different compounds, it is nice to have that option.
Old 11-26-20, 02:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Have you looked into replacement pads? Kool-Stop make pads for my Magura HS-33 in several different compounds, it is nice to have that option.
The brake pads seem to be standard Dura-type pads. So lots of options from Kool Stop.

I put the Salmon or dual compound pads on all of my bikes with rim brakes.
Old 11-26-20, 02:40 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I'm not sure about the compatibility. I don't have experience with Pavolution Boxer's, but I have a bike with Magura HS11 at home and there's something that makes me think mixing a disc lever with hydraulic rim brakes won't work no matter what: disc brake levers push very little fluid as the pads require really small movement. In contrast, rim brakes require a lot of movement to get clear of the rim.

Maybe if the Pavolution boxers have really small diameter pistons it could work, but If that's the case I doubt they're powerful enough to be worth it then.

Last edited by Amt0571; 11-26-20 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 03:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I'm not sure about the compatibility. I don't have experience with Pavolution Boxer's, but I have a bike with Magura HS11 at home and there's something that makes me thing mixing a disc lever with hydraulic rim brakes won't work no matter what: disc brake levers push very little fluid as the pads require really small movement. In contrast, rim brakes require a lot of movement to get clear of the rim.

Maybe if the Pavolution boxers have really small diameter pistons it could work, but If that's the case I doubt they're powerful enough to be worth it then.
You might be right, I hope to hear an answer from them soon.

For comparison, the Magura HS33 levers have a fairly large piston:

These look much more like Shimano disc brake levers.
Old 11-26-20, 03:25 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by JaccoW
You might be right, I hope to hear an answer from them soon.

For comparison, the Magura HS33 levers have a fairly large piston:

These look much more like Shimano disc brake levers.
But what matters is not the external size of the lever, but the internal piston diameter, and how much does it travel when you press the lever.
Old 11-26-20, 03:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

But what matters is not the external size of the lever, but the internal piston diameter, and how much does it travel when you press the lever.
Absolutely. I have limited experience with hydraulic brakes but am reading up on it. If it simply cannot be done that's it and I will look at another option.

I just like trying things that are technical and sometimes doing things with it that nobody has done before. And I am not the only one who is interested in drop-bar compatible rim brakes for cantilever studs. Especially for people who are into converting old-school MTB's to drop bars.
There used to be the Magura HS66, a drop bar version but since then nothing. Just looking for alternatives.

Old 11-26-20, 06:12 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Absolutely. I have limited experience with hydraulic brakes but am reading up on it. If it simply cannot be done that's it and I will look at another option.

I just like trying things that are technical and sometimes doing things with it that nobody has done before. And I am not the only one who is interested in drop-bar compatible rim brakes for cantilever studs. Especially for people who are into converting old-school MTB's to drop bars.
There used to be the Magura HS66, a drop bar version but since then nothing. Just looking for alternatives.

To be honest, I think it can't be done unless you somehow manage to get hold a a lever like the HS66 you show here which, based on a quick search, seems quite difficult.

In any case, I've been using HS11 brakes on my folding bike for 6 years and although I think that, together with the HS33, they're the best performing rim brakes on the market, they require constant attention:

- When pads start to get worn, pistons tend to stick quite frequently, so only one of them retracts, leaving a pad touching the rim.
- I've had them leak oil at the master piston for no apparent reason (they worked well after a bleed without doing anything else).
- I've had air get in the line several times.

A friend of mine who used an older model of HS33 on a trials bike suffered similar issues. They're not issues that are difficult to solve, nor require too much time or knowledge, but they happen with quite a high frequency, especially the sticking pistons.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-26-20, 06:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

To be honest, I think it can't be done unless you somehow manage to get hold a a lever like the HS66 you show here which, based on a quick search, seems quite difficult.

In any case, I've been using HS11 brakes on my folding bike for 6 years and although I think that, together with the HS33, they're the best performing rim brakes on the market, they require constant attention:

- When pads start to get worn, pistons tend to stick quite frequently, so only one of them retracts, leaving a pad touching the rim.
- I've had them leak oil at the master piston for no apparent reason (they worked well after a bleed without doing anything else).
- I've had air get in the line several times.

A friend of mine who used an older model of HS33 on a trials bike suffered similar issues. They're not issues that are difficult to solve, nor require too much time or knowledge, but they happen with quite a high frequency, especially the sticking pistons.
Yeah I have heard the same about the Magura brakes. Best rim brake performance out there, needs a lot of maintenance.
Old 11-30-20, 10:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Just a quick update for those wondering in the future. These are not compatible with hydraulic disc-brake levers. They use their own type of lever according to Alhonga.