Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crushed My Freewheel Spacers - Solved

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 07:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts

My old Franken PR-10 has had allot of Freewheel alignment problems. My old Campy Rally derailleur when mounted on my (home threaded) Simplex hanger did not have enough reach to get to the cogs closest to the hub. A simple solution to this was to simply use spacers behind the freewheel. This worked really well till the soft aluminium spacers deformed over the lip of the hub and allowed the freewheel to crush past them. So on one of my steepest hill I could not get to my 34T gear.

Another reason for the spacers is that the old Campy Rally is a first generation derailleur and has a good bit of play. If you shift hard and fast the momentum of the chain will carry the chain past the cogs and lodge between the freewheel and hub spokes. This causes allot of damage to the spoke heads and requires you to get off the bike and forcibly dislodge the chain. I once had to back off the freewheel to get the chain unstuck.

I decided to go to a steel spacer and after scouring the net and my jars of old scavenged washers and spacers, I could not find a spacer that had a 34.1mm OD and greater than a 20mm ID.
I was thinking... ITS JUST A SPACER!

After many calculations and checks I simply diked out 18.5mm of two of the soft aluminium spacer rings I already had. I then just took a small ballpeen hammer and gently tapped them closed in the round to measure 34mm OD. Not exactly round but close enough that they fit inside the freewheel butting up against the steel and before the threads. It works!

Note: I could have tried ordering a set of Steel Piston Rings. If I remember the Stihl chain saw uses Piston Rings that are 34mm in diameter.

Last edited by zandoval; 07-08-21 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 07-08-21, 09:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Back in the day we used Sturmey Archer cog spacers for freewheels. Steel and about 1.5ish mms thick. Also great BB cup spacers. Andy