Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had a Giant Escape?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 04:26 PM
DownMuddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased a large 24-speed Giant Escape 2. Was just wondering if anyone here has had a Giant Escape & their experience with it. So far I feel that the bike itself is very stiff and you can feel every single grain of sand that you go over.
Old 06-28-14, 04:53 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once, but we shot him with tranquilizers and returned him to his cage. The trick is high dosage darts.
Old 06-28-14, 05:29 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Once, but we shot him with tranquilizers and returned him to his cage. The trick is high dosage darts.
Old 06-28-14, 05:37 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the hybrid forum?
Old 06-28-14, 08:01 PM
DownMuddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Probably.. But I see it as more of a road bike than a hybrid
Old 06-28-14, 08:18 PM
xjustice09x

Bikes: 2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never rode an escape, but do have a giant FCR hybrid which is probably similar. I did my first few centuries on that bike before I bought a real road bike.

I never thought the ride was too bad. What size tires and pressure are you using? I used 32's pumped up to maybe 85psi. I weigh around 180 pounds.

I also have an aluminum cyclocross bike. I ride 35's on that and even off road the ride is less harsh than I expected.
Old 06-28-14, 08:26 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DownMuddy
Well, everyone in this forum will see it as a hybrid. Nothing wrong with it but I guarantee if you post in the hybrid forums or commuter forum you'll get a lot of answers since the Escape seems to be very popular and one of the most recommended and most owned hybrid/flat bar road bike
Old 06-28-14, 10:10 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by DownMuddy
I know that there are a few "flat bar road bikes" out there, but the majority of flat bar bikes with mountain components and 700 c wheels, including the most of the Escape models are commonly known as hybrids. And the majority of Escape owners think they are riding a hybrid, so are more likely to hang out in the hybrid forum.
Old 06-28-14, 10:24 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
You win, laughing so hard right now.

Op you'll have better results in the hybrid forum since it is a hybrid.
Old 06-28-14, 10:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...I see I'm too late for the giant joke, (the reason I came into this thread) so to the OP,
if it really feels that stiff to you, get fatter tires or go with lower inflation pressures, front and rear.
Old 06-29-14, 02:28 AM
Gallinipper87

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Giant Escape 3 2013. I had it since September last year. It's on 700c wheels I inflate to 60 PSI although the recommended is 65. I'm in the process of making it more of a road bike than a hybrid so I'm hanging out in this section. That's my biggest complaint as well I feel every little pebble and crack in the road on it.
Old 06-29-14, 08:02 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The Giant Escape gets rave reviews from almost everyone who has one................. and the road forum is being absorbed by the Hybrid Forum, because so many of you guys show up over there.............
Old 06-29-14, 12:21 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
This is where I am confused. The title is "Road Cycling" not "Road Bike". I ride a hybrid, in fact a Giant Escape 1 to be specific, and I ride on the road. Thus, I visit this forum of "Road Cycling" because I cycle on the road. But then again, if I had a question specifically about a bike rather than actually riding on roads, then I would ask in the more appropriate forum where I would get more answers and that would be in the Hybrid forum with a Giant Escape.

So, for the thread question, I have a Giant Escape. I can't compare to anything other than a Walmart piece of crap because it is my first "real" bike. I have the 1 so have the carbon fork which I have read that it is better for less vibration transmission to the hands, but have no experience on something that isn't a carbon fork to tell otherwise.

I'll just say that I love my Giant Escape. I don't have any smooth roads nor do I have any flat roads. A lot of what I ride on is dirt and gravel roads as well. Those can give off some vibration, but I don't have any problems on the crack riddled paved roads I ride on.
Old 06-30-14, 08:37 PM
Deiph

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm also a bit confused.

When I returned to cycling after a 30 year "layoff", I started with a 2013 Giant Escape 2. I absolutely love(d) it. It rode and shifted nicely.

My only issue after about 1,000 miles is that it seemed heavy. I eventually upgraded to a Defy 1, which was much lighter and quicker. I have/had no regrets about starting with the Escape, because I simply wasn't ready for a real road bike at the time. So much so, that I still have the Escape, even though I've now upgraded the Defy to a Trek Madone 5.2.

All that said, when I dust off the cobwebs and ride the Escape, it is a much smoother, albeit slower, ride than either the Defy and Madone. But it's a tank. The knobby 32mm tires and Long wheelbase take most of the sting out of the road. If you're feeling grains of sand, I can only conclude it's the princess and the pea effect. You might be happier with a bike with a suspension fork... but definitely not a road bike (even if you ride on roads).

For what it's worth, and admittedly, it's not much, I've really enjoyed the progression from hybrid to aluminum road to carbon road. I couldn't appreciate the differences (not to mention geometries) until I gained experience. Sure, it's a somewhat more expensive route, but worth it, in my opinion.
Likes For Deiph: