Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Burley trailer with recessed dropouts

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 09:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

We got a Burley trailer at my wife's baby shower (isn't it nice when one of her uncles is a hardcore cyclist?) and I'm ready to hitch it to my bike to do some short errands, and in another couple of months, put my son in it! In anticipation, I assembled the trailer and realized that my K2 Razorback mountain bike (I'd rather use the bike with SPD pedals for walkability instead of my roadie with duck shoes) has recessed dropouts. They're kind of like Breezer dropouts, but not nearly as deep... maybe 1.5-2mm. Anybody know if I can just put a washer in between the dropout and the trailer hitch? I can't use a classic hitch because it's a full suspension bike with pivots in that area. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-11, 10:27 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, you can use a spacer(s). i've seen this done without problems.

you might also consider just switching out the pedals on your road bike for one big reason: mount a rear fender. that rear tire kicks up a lot more junk than you'd imagine, and certainly more than what you'd like to shower on your precious cargo. can't mount a meaningful rear fender on a rear-suspension bike AFAIK.
Old 03-16-11, 06:29 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Thanks! I imagine even a road bike fender wouldn't keep things from being kicked backward. You'd have to make it wrap around almost to the ground for that. But that is something else I've been thinking of, since it gets pretty hot here and I wouldn't want the plastic cover to be like a greenhouse to him. Under that is a fine mesh, but I wonder how much of the crap will still get through. Hmmm, now I'm thinking of rigging up some sort of shield to mount to the tow bar.
Old 03-16-11, 01:45 PM
masiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
You can get wrap around fenders. Touring types, commuters and folks training in rainy climates use them. There are even some stylish wooden ones, pricey but very nice looking.

Our mesh will stop pretty much everything in our experience and I assume the Burley mesh would also. Our trailer does come with a shield that attaches to the bar. It works quite well but we only use it on wet roads or when their is alot of loose stuff that can get kicked up. Other than that, it is a big wind sail.
Old 03-16-11, 02:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I hadn't thought about the wind with the shield idea. If the mesh does a pretty good job, we should be fine living in So Cal. The MUP I'd ride while towing him is closed on rainy days anyway (it's in a flood control basin).