Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Multi Use Pannier Bags

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Multi Use Pannier Bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 07:30 PM
TedC

Bikes: Nashbar CR-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multi Use Pannier Bags

Hey, so I am looking into some bags for commuting and would like something that I can use on and off the bike, and does not look so much like a trekking bag - something I could bike to the office with, or out with friends with and take off and still feel ok carrying as an everyday bag.

Ive seen the Sac from Linus and like that a lot - anything else people like?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
linus-sac-4.jpeg (21.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-20-12, 08:00 PM
TwoFourOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the Shift Pannier Messenger Bag from Timbuk2 for almost 2 months now, I think.

Despite the fact that I broke the bungee cord that's meant to secure the bag to the rack (I forgot to hook it onto the rack, and it got tangled in my cog), it still stays on my rack just fine with only the hooks. Also, I've ridden in the rain multiple times and nothing in my bag got wet.

It's not uncomfortable to wear on your back if you keep the load light (it's my first messenger bag), but it does hurt my back after a while if I wear it for hours every day with a significant load in it. I bought a red version of it for $60. I'm not sure if I would pay $109 to buy it, nor do I think I'd pay $60 to buy this bag again if I had the choice. It's a great little bag and it's held up fine, but messenger bags aren't for me. I'll use it until it breaks, I guess, but I'd rather have a backpack/pannier combo instead of a messenger bag/pannier combo. Just my personal preference, there's nothing wrong with the bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
129-4-2001_inuse.jpg (61.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by TwoFourOne; 05-20-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,162 Posts
Knog Dry Dog:

Ortlieb Office Bag:

Fastrider Shopper:

Arkel Shopper:

Basil Select Single:

Old 05-20-12, 10:15 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ortlieb. Not an original suggestion, granted, but still a good one.
Old 05-21-12, 04:05 PM
TedC

Bikes: Nashbar CR-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are all some great options... any more? Im still liking the idea of the Linus bag, as it looks the most normal - or the timbuk messenger combo
Old 05-21-12, 04:40 PM
Project88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey a a bit of high jacking here but twoforone​ brought up the idea of pannier backpack combos didnt know those existed im in college and that would help alot any options on tjose as well.
Old 05-23-12, 01:15 AM
dvald001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got a knog hot dog pannier/messenger bag and I love it. The strap is super wide and soft, and while the universal hub allows it to be used as a pannier I wouldn't trust it with too much weight. Still it's really convenient overall to have it do double duty and look good.

If you don't mind a little inconvenience you could use a Zimbale saddle bag and take it off and on the bike. The leather and canvas looks classy and you can buy a strap that lets it be used as a messenger bag.
Old 05-23-12, 07:05 AM
mixtemiss

Bikes: 2012 Creme Cafe Racer Doppio Ladies Dynamo 7 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Linus Sac and I love it. It works perfectly as a pannier and as a messenger bag.
Old 05-23-12, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Ortlieb's shopping pannier, has a long sling strap for shoulder strap, Zip closed
of course the panniers have a strap too.. it clips on/off.

If you had a Brompton, with it's front end clip, their A bag is like a leather briefcase.
Old 05-23-12, 12:13 PM
dhiltonp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I've been using (Bontrager Interchange Grocery bag): https://bontrager.com/model/08102

Most of the time I just toss my backpack inside.

I've been keeping my eyes open for something I'll like more, but I've yet to find something I really like. Well, I was pretty interested in the Linus Market Bag, but I did some reading and apparently some people have worn through the canvas pretty fast.

At this point, I'm thinking of just adding mounting hardware to the non-strap side of a backpack.