Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-24, 12:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
How fer did I ride today/yesterday? Zero. Had 15 yards (I full dump truck) of garden mulch delivered and spent 8 hours and 8,500 steps spreading a tiny bit of it around the upper garden. Looks like I have another 12+ yards to go. Too exhausted to cycle - but Mrs RSbob is encouraging me to slow down and get in some riding time - that’s why I married her, or maybe its the other way around.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-27-24, 05:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Got in a painful 83 miles in 20 to 25 mph winds howling out of the east, with some patches of unwanted rain.

I went to do some road\gravel today that is close to the beach on the CheckPoint to check out some new tires I decided to try out. I recently picked up Bontrager's new tire model, Girona RSL GR TLR, and while not normally a Bontrager tire fan, these intrigued me for some reason. They are 42mm and most of the gravel locations I ride generally are going to have some soft sand on course and the 40mm Pirelli's Allroad 40mm, while a great tire, have a more of a road like shape, a little taller and more rounded, and don't really have a knob profile that handle soft sand or light mud too well. The Girona tire while only 2mm wider, are more square with a better knob profile that handles the sand and light mud, much better. The TPI on the Pirelli's are 60 and the Girona's are 220 and you can really feel the difference. The Girona rolled extremely well on both hard pack and road, handled the small amount of sand I had to deal with today with ease. I felt like the rolling resistance was much lighter as well. I am really surprised as well I felt on the ride today with them. Obviously longer term experience will give me a better view, but I have high hopes for them. If you are needing some gravel tires, might consider these. They also have a 60 TPI version and a knobbier version as well called the Betasso. Might be worth a look if you are need of some tires and you are not sure what tire you want to go with or are looking for something else. Oh, the Bontrager's are 110g lighter per tire than the Pirelli's as well so a quick half pound shaved.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-27-24 at 06:02 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-27-24, 05:49 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 347 Posts
A measly ~72ish miles and 10,300' of climbing today... I think spring may have sprung, It was mostly in the 60's and I made it up to the high spot of the ride at 6k'. Some notables...saw a bobcat and my first snake of the year(not a rattler though.) Achievements include the KOM and 2nd place on a couple of obscure climbs...also some very respectable power numbers.

Snapped this picture of my Garmin at the turnaround spot, the elevation and mileage tell the story of the first half of the ride:

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-27-24, 07:27 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
113km, following my usual route. The day was hot and sunny, and the bugs are getting thick. I rode out to the countryside in Saitama, had lunch next to the river under a nice shady tree. Then I rode 60km to Kasai Rinkai park by Tokyo Bay and had a double cheeseburger and fries at Burger King, then rode the rest of the way home. I had to fight through the usual headwind for most of the ride, but managed to finish feeling good. I’ll shoot for 125km next week.
I'm always tempted to treat myself to a whopper during my rides, however, I'm positive I won't be able to make it back. 😂
Old 04-27-24, 08:03 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
I'm always tempted to treat myself to a whopper during my rides, however, I'm positive I won't be able to make it back. 😂
On my longer rides I usually treat myself to a steak and a beer when I get home. But I was hungry, and could smell the flame-broiled goodness.

I could have ordered this, it was 1990 yen (about $14), but I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep it down. But I will order it on my next trip, just to be able to say I did.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-27-24, 09:16 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
On my longer rides I usually treat myself to a steak and a beer when I get home. But I was hungry, and could smell the flame-broiled goodness.

I could have ordered this, it was 1990 yen (about $14), but I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep it down. But I will order it on my next trip, just to be able to say I did.
With all the hills around here, it's just not a good idea for me to get a big mid-ride meal. However, I'll go all-out once I'm done riding...I really love eating and was beyond ecstatic when I saw that I was in a 4k calorie deficit after today's ride. I ended up demolishing 1/2 of a medium pizza and putting back a couple IPAs. Maybe not the best recovery meal, but I had some greens too and even a protein shake. Also some locally baked sourdough bread I could've killed for a burger too, but that would've been a further 10 minutes of driving.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-27-24, 09:50 PM
JeffAP60

Bikes: Trek DS1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Only three miles, but I hit up the post office and the bank, so quite a productive ride
Likes For JeffAP60:
Old 04-27-24, 10:10 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
We converted my partner's Surly Long Haul Trucker to flat bars this morning. And then tested it out with a short ride through local wetlands to our fave barbecue joint. Need to tweak the front shifter but the cheesesteak was divine.

Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-28-24, 06:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
79 miles.. 69°F dropped to 57°F, clouds roared in with the crackling atmospheric rivers. Bummed that I wasn't able to net triple digits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.