Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 06:28 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greengage
Fiona--you must be the same one who posted on oldroads? I just replied earlier to you today saying to check here! :^)
LOL Yep that was me and I'll have to check your reply Actually the bike Sixty-fiver pictured will be mine in two weeks....I think I can safely say I have a Vintage Raleigh obsession now and i hope i have the room for at least five more bikes ...LOL
Old 06-28-10, 07:40 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by terraskye
LOL Yep that was me and I'll have to check your reply Actually the bike Sixty-fiver pictured will be mine in two weeks....I think I can safely say I have a Vintage Raleigh obsession now and i hope i have the room for at least five more bikes ...LOL
You Go Girl! no such thing as too many vintage Raleighs...even if the kids have to sleep in the back of the station wagon! (BTW mine are grown and gone)

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-28-10, 08:00 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
You Go Girl! no such thing as too many vintage Raleighs...even if the kids have to sleep in the back of the station wagon! (BTW mine are grown and gone)

Aaron
Well the son is grown and on his own but I do have a empty second bedroom that could be utilized LOL and if that fills up our apt bldg has secure bike parking too lol Not sure if hubby is amused that I traded in knitting for bikes haha
Old 06-28-10, 08:13 PM
greengage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh my--if my daughter read this she would laugh--she just recently accused me of trading in knitting for bikes! To which I replied "I can do both, just not at the same time!" Terra--we seem to be on parallel paths! And yes--I have a big dry basement and well...five Raleighs and a Rudge! How did that happen?

Originally Posted by terraskye
Well the son is grown and on his own but I do have a empty second bedroom that could be utilized LOL and if that fills up our apt bldg has secure bike parking too lol Not sure if hubby is amused that I traded in knitting for bikes haha
Old 06-28-10, 08:19 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh my--if my daughter read this she would laugh--she just recently accused me of trading in knitting for bikes! To which I replied "I can do both, just not at the same time!" Terra--we seem to be on parallel paths! And yes--I have a big dry basement and well...five Raleighs and a Rudge! How did that happen?
Wow!! I need to catch up to you in terms of bikes...I only have three now ..lol...next on my wishlist I suppose with either be a Roadster or Sport oh dear..wait until I tell hubby...I may be sleeping in the second bedroom with the bikes
Old 06-28-10, 08:27 PM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, technically some of them are for the use of other family members but they are mostly mine :^). And I can see letting one or two go at some point, but it's funny--sometimes you want to ride this one, another time you say "I think I'll take ---" It's pretty much my childhood fantasy of having a stable full of horses, but it's bikes...
Old 06-28-10, 08:31 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, technically some of them are for the use of other family members but they are mostly mine :^). And I can see letting one or two go at some point, but it's funny--sometimes you want to ride this one, another time you say "I think I'll take ---" It's pretty much my childhood fantasy of having a stable full of horses, but it's bikes...
hubby wants horses so maybe I'll have to compromise someday we can have a farm with bikes and horses
Old 06-28-10, 08:32 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Never thought of it that way...but you are right. When I was growing up I mostly had "curb" specials (my dad found them on the curb and fixed them up for me) I didn't get my first brand new bike until I was in the 6th grade and them some low life stole it off the rack at school and it was back to the beaters. I guess I am making up for it now.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-29-10, 07:13 PM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wahoonc--growing up, we had neighbors, two brothers--one worked at the town dump and the other dealt in scrap metal, so most of our bikes came over the fence! I wish I had a few of those today...
Old 06-29-10, 07:23 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
My 1970 (according to the S/A hub) Raleigh Sports I picked up over the weekend...I had been wanting one of these in the larger frame size for a long time, and found it over the weekend...seller said he fished him out of a barn. It has plenty of patina, but also has it's Brooks B-72 in very nice shape and it's frame pump. I got it home, adjusted the seat, washed it down...and here it sits. I took it for a ride around the neighborhood and it was a delight....after a couple of tries, the S/A is shifting flawlessly.

I have been thinning my herd a bit...and had fleetingly thought to flip this one...but...I'm keeping it...

Old 06-29-10, 08:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
That's a lovely bike, johnnybegood, but why do you have a taillight on your fork?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-29-10, 08:57 PM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very handsome! And that looks like a cool little light--generator?
Old 06-29-10, 08:58 PM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, but it looks as if only the rim is red and the light itself is actually white?
Old 06-29-10, 09:12 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by noglider
That's a lovely bike, johnnybegood, but why do you have a taillight on your fork?
lol...interesting, huh...that's how he came from the seller...as greengage noted, the light rim is red, but the lens itself it white...so I'm guessing it's for the front? I dunno...it is a Raleigh branded light...but...I think I'm going to take it off...

I'd love to find a proper saddle bag and perhaps a rear rack for him...and the period-correct dynohub and headlight. All in due time I suppose...
Old 06-29-10, 09:44 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I just picked this up:

Craigslist special, in very good shape. Oil in the hub, air in the tires, and on the road--rode it to work today. It's super fun--very quick, nimble, and surprisingly fast. My wife wants one now, too!
Old 06-29-10, 09:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
The seeming quickness comes from low gears. Try to keep up with other cyclists. But it's really OK. It's a heck of a cargo hauling bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-29-10, 10:01 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by noglider
The seeming quickness comes from low gears. Try to keep up with other cyclists. But it's really OK. It's a heck of a cargo hauling bike.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. It's funny, though--I passed several riders today on my commute home (a rarity), and they seemed very surprised a middle-aged man riding a clown bike passed them. I got a couple of double-takes on the Intercampus Transitway.
Likes For gna:
Old 06-29-10, 11:08 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
lol...interesting, huh...that's how he came from the seller...as greengage noted, the light rim is red, but the lens itself it white...so I'm guessing it's for the front? I dunno...it is a Raleigh branded light...but...I think I'm going to take it off...

I'd love to find a proper saddle bag and perhaps a rear rack for him...and the period-correct dynohub and headlight. All in due time I suppose...
One of our participants from St Paul (gna, I think) posted a Craigslist add for inexpensive rear bags in the style of the bags that came with the Sports. My 79 Spots has an original but all four leather closing straps are fubar. The vinyl is ok on mine , I'm trying to determine a method to make it useable, THe Pletcher racks are still available but I don't know about sizing and attachment. I opted for a modern rack and am happy but had to fab a couple parts to make it work I also have a front dynohub lacet to a 27 wheel that I,m not sure what todo with. New generator hubs aren't that expensive and I'm not sure sure how desirable and expensive the SA dynohub is.

Comparing your 1970 Sports to my 1979 Sports show the methods that Raleigh was going through during the 70s to reduce costs. You have a nice seat and a pump and pump pegs. I think the earlier finish with the white on the rear fender was change to save a tad, Simpler design on the headlamp bracket (where a reflector was mounted).

Last edited by desconhecido; 06-29-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 11:27 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Found something that was made the same year and in the same country as me with a nice SA AWG hub... gonna have to wait for daylight to see the good pics but here is a teaser.

Haven't wired up the dynahub yet but hope it runs as smoothly as the hub does.

Old 06-30-10, 12:35 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by desconhecido
One of our participants from St Paul (gna, I think) posted a Craigslist add for inexpensive rear bags in the style of the bags that came with the Sports.
The seller still has a few left:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...817437255.html

I put one on the Triumph I gave to my sister-in-law.
Old 06-30-10, 07:43 AM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by gna

Thanks for the info! And...I have an old Pletscher rack to go with it....this will work out nicely!!
Old 06-30-10, 07:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by gna

Can anyone in Minneapolis facilitate?
Old 06-30-10, 09:07 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Here are some pics of the 79 Sports with the "Eco Rack" attached:

This is the front bracket attachment:

Also had to fashion short offset brackets for the bottom:
[IMG]

A little bit of boosterism for the 4th:

Here's a Pletscher on a Sprite we acquired recently:

Cool baskets, huh?

Here's the Sprite cleaned up a little:

The Pletscher:

Not the original wheels or rear derailleur, but it is Huret

Tried to get rid of the ring on the chain wheel, but someone pulled it from the trash and polished it, so there it is:

Was able to sneak off the stem shifters and put on some Huret downtube shifters ("just like your old Suburban -- they're great")

Overall, looking pretty good, considering where it was:
Old 06-30-10, 10:46 AM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gna

I just emailed the seller about those bags and to see if he'd ship up to Canada...I really like the look of the bags and more affordable at the moment then a carradice saddlebag
Old 06-30-10, 11:20 AM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted elsewhere--someone on eBay is selling some vintage Swiss ammunition bags for use as panniers that would look beautiful on a vintage 3-speed--a little rich for my blood at $112 but they are gorgeous.

The Sprite is adorable--love that red! And yes--I need some Wald baskets...

So--while I have you all here--what the heck is this bike? A '78 Sport--with a full chain case and a loop frame? Maybe this is a Canadian thing, but I've never seen this before. https://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bik/1813730214.html Fiona--maybe you need a trip to Montreal? :^)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.