Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 04:50 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Question: Why do the seat clamps on most 3 speeds face forward? Being used to road bikes with set back seat posts the 3 speeds look backwards to me. I checked the 1973 Raleigh Catalog and it had the clamp mounted towards the front and I followed suit.

I took this picture on my ride this morning. Look at the 28in rims compared to the cars wheels! I was nervous about posing my bike so close to someones shiny car... worth it!

Gratuitous "3 speed in the park" picture.... sorry, I can't help myself!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Last edited by mkeller234; 08-19-10 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 08-19-10, 05:18 PM
Andrew F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Where's the car?

More impressive then the wheel size is the overall impression. The DL is almost larger than the car! I'd feel safer on the DL in traffic.
Old 08-19-10, 06:42 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew F

Where's the car?

More impressive then the wheel size is the overall impression. The DL is almost larger than the car! I'd feel safer on the DL in traffic.
I completely agree, I knew my DL was big, but not THAT big!

Now I will go looking for Smart Cars to intimidate.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-19-10, 07:02 PM
alternatve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
The "standard" OEM setup is 46/18. You'll find this on just about every Raleigh Sports and similar bikes. And in my opinion it's too high; I switched the 18 to a 22 on the bike I ride on Long Island (where the hills are pretty mild), and that works out very nicely; I use all the gears and often find myself cruising along in high gear at the top of my cadence. But for a really hilly area, lower gears would be nice.

What you should do on your tenspeed depends to some extent on what its existing crank will allow, but I'd imagine its smaller chainring is either a 40 or 42, and it probably has 27" wheels. The largest cog you can find easily and cheaply is 22T, so I'd start out with that, and see how it goes. With a little effort you may be able to find a 23T or 24T cog; if those aren't big enough for you, you'll have to find a smaller chainring, which will depend entirely on what your crank can handle.

Are you familiar with Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator? It's an invaluable tool when contemplating a project of this type.

So its more preferable to cruise in a low gearing setup instead of fighting it out with a high gear ratio? I'm just back into cycling since when I was a kid, and the higher ratio you were then, the better you were... So I must have inherited that experience. Even now when slowing down, I pedal slower instead of changing gears.

I can get a 22T easily yes, but I have seen a 24T rear cog around before, must search around. The main problem for me is to obtain a SS crank. All that's around me are fixie cranks (with accompanying price and design) or cottered cranks which is the look I'm going for but heavy and I rather square taper..

I have come across Sheldon's Brown gear ratio calculator several times but I must confess that it has always stumped me. His other articles are a gem though.
Old 08-19-10, 08:03 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Originally Posted by alternatve
So its more preferable to cruise in a low gearing setup instead of fighting it out with a high gear ratio? I'm just back into cycling since when I was a kid, and the higher ratio you were then, the better you were... So I must have inherited that experience. Even now when slowing down, I pedal slower instead of changing gears.
Spinning a lower gear at a higher cadence is supposed to put less stress on your knees. I think it keeps your heart rate up also.
Old 08-19-10, 08:22 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spinning a lower gear at a higher cadence is supposed to put less stress on your knees.
+1 on that! I can feel the difference in my knees if I push a high gear for too long.
Old 08-19-10, 09:13 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I wouldn't mind parting with my 65 Rudge DeLuxe for $275.00. I just got a '51 Raleigh sports than needs my love. The bars are up now. I have access to so many of these. It's 100% original, right down to the tires and tubes.

IMG_3092 by frankthewelder, on Flickr
That's a 23-inch frame, yes? Where in Vermont are you at? I'm in Cabot.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 08-19-10, 10:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Hey, jedge76, are you still with us? This isn't English, but it's very well made and in excellent condition. And the price is excellent.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/for/1908000408.html

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-20-10, 10:17 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Todays thrift store Sports.

Raleigh forever!
Old 08-21-10, 04:55 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
That's a 23-inch frame, yes? Where in Vermont are you at? I'm in Cabot.
I am in Bellows Falls! greetings neighbah! 23? dunno, never measured it! I would say yes if I were to guess.
Old 08-21-10, 05:04 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Nice! Brooks saddle and all. I'd like to find something like that for my mother in law. Great catch.

Originally Posted by redneckwes
Todays thrift store Sports.

Raleigh forever!
Old 08-21-10, 12:54 PM
greengage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such a nice-looking bike, though probably a little sporty (and tall) for me! How do you have "access?"
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I wouldn't mind parting with my 65 Rudge DeLuxe for $275.00. I just got a '51 Raleigh sports than needs my love. The bars are up now. I have access to so many of these. It's 100% original, right down to the tires and tubes.

IMG_3092 by frankthewelder, on Flickr
Old 08-21-10, 05:19 PM
chris902

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I am new to the forum but I thought I'd post my 1978 Raleigh Sport:

A nice craigslist find that runs in pretty good shape. Everything in this photo is original except for the bag and the bell. (legally I need a bell on it and haven't been able to track down a more old-timey one for a decent price). Unfortunately I have since had to replace the pedals with new fangled ones since one was falling apart. I've also buffed up the chrome on it to make it a bit prettier. I used to ride a ten speed road bike but sold it shortly after buying this. I use this as an every day commuter bike and it handles great and is a comfortable and low maintence ride. (and cost less than one twelfth of the Pashley's that seem to be replacing fixies amongst urban hipsters)

I am currently trying to track down another three speed in decent shape to convert into a club bike/path racer with drop bars (maybe flipped north road style bars) and an unsprung saddle. My plan would also include reducing the weight by stripping off the chain guard and fenders (heresy for purists, I know).

This is a great thread and there are some jaw dropping bikes on here and has given me some great ideas.
Old 08-21-10, 06:38 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice clean Sports Chris! Keep your eyes open, I found my stripped Sports for just a few$ to do what your talking about. Keep you eyes open their are lots of needy 3spds out there.
Old 08-21-10, 06:38 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by chris902
So I am new to the forum but I thought I'd post my 1978 Raleigh Sport:

A nice craigslist find that runs in pretty good shape. Everything in this photo is original except for the bag and the bell. (legally I need a bell on it and haven't been able to track down a more old-timey one for a decent price). Unfortunately I have since had to replace the pedals with new fangled ones since one was falling apart. I've also buffed up the chrome on it to make it a bit prettier. I used to ride a ten speed road bike but sold it shortly after buying this. I use this as an every day commuter bike and it handles great and is a comfortable and low maintence ride. (and cost less than one twelfth of the Pashley's that seem to be replacing fixies amongst urban hipsters)

I am currently trying to track down another three speed in decent shape to convert into a club bike/path racer with drop bars (maybe flipped north road style bars) and an unsprung saddle. My plan would also include reducing the weight by stripping off the chain guard and fenders (heresy for purists, I know).

This is a great thread and there are some jaw dropping bikes on here and has given me some great ideas.
Nice looking bike in the harder to find 23" size

Here is my latest incarnation. This bike is probably a 1972 (no hub date) purchased for $25 in 1982 and used as a daily rider for close to 15 years. It has well over 30,000 miles on it. Other than wear out items like brake blocks, tires and a couple of chains it has kept on rolling through it all. I took the hub down a year or so ago and it was still clean and showed very little wear. I did replace the pawl springs as they seemed a bit weak.

I just added the baskets for hauling growlers and groceries.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 08-22-10, 04:27 AM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have left 2 English 3 speeds at the mother-in-law's in Suffolk, UK. I am back in NZ
One was a mid-60s Raleigh-built BSA which worked well, the other a 50s Trent Tourist with an SW hub which initially worked badly, until I realised the idiot I bought it from had pumped grease into the hub. Once I oiled it liberally it started to free up.
Are good working SWs a bit scarce?

I am now back in NZ where I have been back on my 20s single-speed BSA 28" wheeled bike. Nice to be re-united. The Eadie coaster brake barely works, so quite fun stopping.
I am bringing back a container from the UK with a Subaru in it, a 1955 Raleigh 4 speed FG hub bike, and the old 1939 loop frame Raleigh which I love riding even though my knees hit the handlebars.

I also have some refurbished Sturmey hub-brake hubs coming - front is the larger tandem hub, rear is 3 speed - to build into some wheels. In NZ I have (somewhere in storage!) some NOS Japanese 28" rims (Westwood shape) that I will get spoked up. I also bought sight-unseen some NOS 28" mudguards, and I have an old frame at my sister's place with a Major Taylor stem, so a bit of a bitsa will be built to my own whim.

If anyone in England wants the 3 speeds sitting in Suffolk, let me know.
Old 08-22-10, 04:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I do, but the shipping cost would be prohibitively expensive.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-22-10, 05:25 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by greengage
Such a nice-looking bike, though probably a little sporty (and tall) for me! How do you have "access?"
I have a friend who is a bike hoarder. He has 100 or more Raleigh three-speeds. I also live in the NE USA where nearly every garage contains a Raleigh. I noticed you live in Boston. The deck is stacked in your favor.

Last edited by ftwelder; 08-22-10 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-22-10, 11:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Taught a mechanic's class on 3 speed care and feeding yesterday morning as we see a lot of them and our volunteers find them to be rather baffling machines to work on.

Had a few nice guests show up... it became as much a class about Raleigh Twentys as it was how to service and maintain your three speed.

The green 20 was a donation that I used for the demo and by the time the class was over it was purring like a kitten and one of the students bought it and joined the fold... it was in really nice shape and just needed a few little things to make it right.
Old 08-22-10, 11:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

If there was a Greatest Bikes Ever Made" list, the pedestrian and utilitarian Raleigh Sports would have to sit at the top of the list...

They may be responsible for carrying more people than any other brand or type of bicycle and whether that has been around the block or around the world, they have done this very well.

Consider that if you buy a Raleigh Sports and fork out a little cash to have new 650A alloy wheels built you have a bike that is every bit as nice as a Pashley... and in my opinion... a bike that is just a little classier.

Interestly enough... Raleigh made more Twenty's and variants of this than they did full size models and these are considered to be their best selling model of all time.

But Twentys seem to collect more dust as they are seen as being a quirky little bike that can't possible be comfortable or capable... until you actually ride one.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 08-22-10, 12:04 PM
choteau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from Oregon. This summer I've been riding my 50's Phillips roadster, 40ish lbs, 28" wheels and rod brakes. Fun, fun, fun. I'm now doing 25+ mile rides on it. Looking at winter coming and the poor braking when wet, decided to look at a new bike, so rode a Torker Graduate, drum brakes, 5 spd Sturmey, very solid bike, but the ride quality is not there. Guess I've gotten spoiled...... Tim Thinking about building a winter wheelset, 28" rims with drums front and rear.

Last edited by choteau; 08-22-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-22-10, 12:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

choteau - I rode a Raleigh 20 through last year's snowpocalypse in Portland... at one point I was one of the only vehicles moving on the road and was rocking Schwalbe Marathons.

When I have ridden a 20 here in the winter I run knobbier tyres as we have more snow and ice to deal with.

Old 08-22-10, 04:17 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
65, I see you have been welding some more bits to your 20.
Old 08-22-10, 05:38 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
choteau - I rode a Raleigh 20 through last year's snowpocalypse in Portland... at one point I was one of the only vehicles moving on the road and was rocking Schwalbe Marathons.

When I have ridden a 20 here in the winter I run knobbier tyres as we have more snow and ice to deal with.

Just found out that Innova makes studded tires in the 406 size...with 144 studs!

I don't normally have to ride in conditions that would require studs, but is nice to know they are available for the next ice age.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 08-22-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 07:23 PM
fender76

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all - just found this thread and figured I'd share some
Of my 3 speeds

Dl-1

My BSA

And a Dawn Tourist I just acquired to restore

Last edited by fender76; 08-22-10 at 07:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.